IGNORED

Opcode Games News - Q3 2015

opcode

Bah, if it was up to me, I would leave the "Super" aside (because it's been used to death) and call it "Lady Bug - The Arcade Experience". Then Opcode could make an entire series called "The Arcade Experience Series", which would include Lady Bug, Popeye, Pengo, Arkanoid, and all the other arcade ports he's got started, perhaps even DKA.

Just my two cents.

The Arcade Experience... I like the sound of that.... :)

I'd also like to see a video mode selector as an option. Original and enhanced so that any flicker management can be disabled for those that have modern f18 or when Kevtris releases the device he is working on.

That is a good idea indeed. Noted...

• Like 1

I'd also like to see a video mode selector as an option. Original and enhanced so that any flicker management can be disabled for those that have modern f18 or when Kevtris releases the device he is working on.

That's a good idea! Question for you: Do any games released currently have this sort of flicker management? I thought I had read that Pac Man Collection has something in it's code to help with flicker, but when I run it using my F18A modded console, it looks great. But yeah, if there was mode that forced the flicker and it would look better on the F18A turned off, I would agree that could be a welcome option.

That's a good idea! Question for you: Do any games released currently have this sort of flicker management? I thought I had read that Pac Man Collection has something in it's code to help with flicker, but when I run it using my F18A modded console, it looks great. But yeah, if there was mode that forced the flicker and it would look better on the F18A turned off, I would agree that could be a welcome option.

Pac-Man Collection only offers a single sprite flickering algorithm. Donkey Kong currently offers two sprite options, using 1 or 2 sprites per enemy. While the algorithm is the same, reducing the number of sprites per enemy reduces flickering drastically, though all enemies will look monochromatic and dull.

The problem with flickering management is that sprites keep changing plane all the time, and that will make them look bad when overlapping on things like the F18A where there is no 4 sprites per scanline limitation.

BTW, PMC algorithm only activates flicker when it is required, so perhaps that is why it looks good on the F18A.

Edited by opcode

BTW, PMC algorithm only activates flicker when it is required, so perhaps that is why it looks good on the F18A.

It's possible. I've actually been using PMC as the benchmark for when I've been doing F18A tests and videos just because it looks so good with that mod installed. It seriously looks JUST LIKE the arcade version! (which, of course that's the idea!) And if DKA is going to be anything like PMC with the F18A installed, then that excites me quite a bit!

• Like 2

As far as the F18A goes, it really doesn't matter if the software disables flicker management. Aside from a possible slight speedup in the software if the flicker routine is expensive, there's no visible benefit to doing so.

Edit: I suppose if the sprite effects rely on order or 4 sprites on a line for visual effects, then maybe. Mario Bros runs its flicker algorithm every single frame and its rock-solid on the F18A.

Edited by Tursi

So I think the pieces are finally starting to fall in place. We have a new template for the website, we are deciding on an emailing list... We will have all new customer service.

Hopefully by January or February next year we should be releasing our first game in years, Penguin Adventure, which is 70% done btw.

• Like 1

So I think the pieces are finally starting to fall in place. We have a new template for the website, we are deciding on an emailing list... We will have all new customer service.

Hopefully by January or February next year we should be releasing our first game in years, Penguin Adventure, which is 70% done btw.

Sounds good. What about the second run of SGMs? How is that coming along? :)

Ok, Penguin Adventure is 100% done, with SGM splash screen and all. We are officially in beta. Pre-order will start once the 2nd run of the SGM starts shipping. The first 80 pre-orders get the special edition version.

As for Moon Patrol, I hope to port it someday, but for now unfortunately there is nothing to announce.

• Like 4