Amazing stuff, so cool that you've injected a new dimension into those games.

Other Trak-ball games?

Hmm, how about the good old classic Basketball? - the arcade version used them.

I guess the big challenge would be to implement simultaneous two players trakball control...

Edited by r_type2600
  • Like 1

do these all work with both the CX22 and the CX80? In other words, if I were to purchase one trak-ball for the 2600, which one should it be?

Each hack comes in three different versions (CX22, CX80 and Amiga mouse). So it doesn't matter which one you buy.

• Like 2

I played all of them at PRGE... Holy fuck!

Of course, I expected Centi/Millipede to be _much_ more playable on a trackball...

but the trackball hack ACTUALLY MAKES REACTOR ___PLAYABLE___ and ______ENJOYABLE_____ !!!!!

WOW.

Reactor is one of those games, where the trackball is essential to be able to make _really_ ... _really_ small moves, and the trackball support just feels wonderful, in this game. :)

-Thom

• Like 2

I just checked ebay. There is one listing for a CX80 trackball, $100 new-in-box. At that price, I'd rather build one myself from arcade parts.

There's also half a dozen CX22s which proportedly don't work with the ROM hacks. They are in the $15-$25 ballpark used.

Was there like a run on all CX80 trackballs recently or are the CX22s just a lot more common? If so, why not use those?

There's also half a dozen CX22s which proportedly don't work with the ROM hacks. They are in the $15-$25 ballpark used.

Was there like a run on all CX80 trackballs recently or are the CX22s just a lot more common? If so, why not use those?

:?

There's three versions of each hacked game:

• CX-22 trackball
  • CX-80 trackball and ST Mouse
  • Amiga Mouse

You just have to use the right version for your controller.

Do note that some CX-80 trackballs are really CX-22 trackballs in disguise, so if you have a CX-80 and the game doesn't work correctly try the CX-22 ROM.

• Like 1

:?

There's three versions of each hacked game:

• CX-22 trackball
  • CX-80 trackball and ST Mouse
  • Amiga Mouse
You just have to use the right version for your controller.

Do note that some CX-80 trackballs are really CX-22 trackballs in disguise, so if you have a CX-80 and the game doesn't work correctly try the CX-22 ROM.

Actually, most CX80s are compatible with the CX22. The CX80s that were modified to emulate the ST mouse are less common.

Mitch

I have a cx80 and a trackball called "Alfa data" which has an extra switch where you can choose between "Amiga" and "Atari". With the cx80 its okay to play the games but with the Alfa data one its amazing and the trackball is easy to find to a much lower price.

Thanks for the tip, I bought one yesterday on eBay.

Finally got around to trying these games out and looks like I have 3 bad trakballs in my collection! :mad: All used to work years ago before I stored them away. Maybe the sensors are just dirty? Somehow I doubt it. :(

A cx22, cx80 and even a Sega Sports trakball. Tried all combinations on a 7800 and a H6'er. Guess I'll try an Amiga mouse next. I know I've got working mice at least! :lol:

Even plugged into P2 port, thinking that might make sense so you could navigate Harmony's menu with a joystick in P1, but nope. haha

I suppose it was made for Amiga or ST. So it should work like a CX80.

Not neccesarily, it seems like there are a lot more unmodified CX80s that are the same as CX22 than there are modded ones that emulate the ST mouse.

Mitch

Finally got around to trying these games out and looks like I have 3 bad trakballs in my collection! :mad: All used to work years ago before I stored them away. Maybe the sensors are just dirty? Somehow I doubt it. :(

A cx22, cx80 and even a Sega Sports trakball. Tried all combinations on a 7800 and a H6'er. Guess I'll try an Amiga mouse next. I know I've got working mice at least! :lol:

Even plugged into P2 port, thinking that might make sense so you could navigate Harmony's menu with a joystick in P1, but nope. haha

That seems too high. I would do some basic trouble shooting, like trying a different 2600 with these. See if Missile Command works with them. Also try both CX22 and ST Mouse roms on the CX80 to see which one works for it.

All of these hacks use the left controller port. For the Harmony menu, I think you can use the select switch to navigate. You can also use the joystick/trackball mode switch on your Trak-Ball if it has it.

And while I'm thinking of it, If you do have that Joystick/Trakball switch on your Trak-Ball, be sure you are in Trak-Ball when playing the game.

Oh yeah, familiar with the TB/JS switch on these. :)

BUT... mystery solved. All three TB's operate just fine (well, the SMS trakball doesn't in analog mode). Verified by playing the regular versions of the games in joystick mode. Then, re-downloaded the .bins. Seems my CX80 only works with the CX22 ROMS! Must have gotten tripped up earlier today when I was testing, as I had downloaded and then renamed the ROMS, cutting off if they were 22/80 so the filename wasn't so long.

All is good and wow - what an incredible difference these hacks make, thank you so much TJ and Omega! You've really upped the value of having these trakballs and the games now play better than ever. Especially Reactor! Played the hell out of the game BITD and anticipate getting back into again. :love:

And yeah FWIW: the Sega Sports Pad (trakball) refuses to work properly in analog mode with any of the varying ROM's. Even the ST. Only the fire button works. Figured maybe it would be compatible since it is under its joystick mode (regular game), but no such luck in analog.

-edit-

Had fun tearing these Trakballs apart and cleaning them up. Bought the CX80 new BITD and only used it a handful of times (joystick mode) with my C64c and Geos as a poor mans 1354 mouse. After lubing the shafts with PB Blaster, the damn thing just spins on and on!

Happened to have some new bearings on hand for the couple that were bad in the CX22. That TB feels great again too, although I think I like the feel of the CX80 better. Might sell the CX22 if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM if so. May just start a new thread in the marketplace or add it to my misc. sale thread.

• Like 1

I'm glad you were able to get it working. It was good feedback to see what went wrong. I think this will trip up other people too so I have put a note on the first post.

I briefly looked for info on the Sega Sports Pad. Doesn't seem like it caught on. I was more curious then anything. I couldn't determine without digging deeper if the select line used to read it is internal to the Sega to read the port or external to the controller. Maybe someone here has looked at it already. The two links I found were this:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/8984-SMSSegaSportsPadInterfacing

http://www.smspower.org/Development/SMSOfficalDocs#ProgramSequenceToReadTrackball

The second link gives some assembly code, and a program sequence.

• Like 1