I only know about one RGB mod for the 2600: https://etim.net.au/2600rgb/

And, I guess we have the culprit.

That mod include the ability to mount an "extra" switch on the left joystick for additional functions (palette select and remote "reset" and "select" switches functionality). The extra button activates the inputs normally used for left and right direction of the joystick at the same time. This is an "impossible" combination for a joystick, but not for a trackball in real TB mode, which therefore randomly activates the extra features of your RGB mod (in particular, it activates the reset and select switches repeatedly making the game impossible to play).

You have to modify your console to disable the "extra" button functionality, either permanently or with a switch.

I'm not an expert, but by looking at the diagram, a simple switch to break the wire going to either pin 3 or 4 of the "extra" 7 pins connector on the RGB board might be all that you need.

Yes, when I saw the schematic for the reset/select from the left joustick port, I knew eventually this would cause problems with nonstandard controllers. Starplex, keyboard, Atarivox, trackballs, and other devices could potentially trigger it. The Select and Reset combos rely on hitting three inputs, ie LRU, ect. This prevents L+R (paddles) or U+D (driving) from mucking up the game but not other specialty controllers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So what 2600 games are left as of August 2019 that could definitely still use Trak-Ball support?

*The light gun games?

*The Milton-Bradley Cosmic Commander and Flight Commander games?

*Atari Football?

*Crystal Castles due to its way-to-busy kernel thus requiring a total re-write of the game?

*Dave Staugas' in-house 5-Spider Millipede on account of the ROM not being available? 

You guys have done excellent work... Impressive...most impressive!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I love these trak-ball converted games - for me I play these more than anything else on my Atari as the control and enjoyment is just so good!

Thanks to all the people involved in making these conversions possible.

What I don't understand is why these games were offering trak-ball control in the first place?

Wouldn't trak-ball versions of Centipede, Millipede and Missile Command sold plenty of trak-ball controllers?

Edited by slaanesh
  • Like 3

Thanks for the compliment. Feedback is always welcome for us developers.

I can only speculate here, but it seems that the developers were more and more focusing on the standard joystick. The 2600 was competing against other, younger consoles by then. So minimizing costs became priority. Requiring a trackball would have increased the costs for the consumer significantly.

And maybe some tricks we know now (35 years later!), where not known back then.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for the compliment. Feedback is always welcome for us developers.

I can only speculate here, but it seems that the developers were more and more focusing on the standard joystick. The 2600 was competing against other, younger consoles by then. So minimizing costs became priority. Requiring a trackball would have increased the costs for the consumer significantly.

And maybe some tricks we know now (35 years later!), where not known back then.

The funny thing is how the 1983 catalog advertised the Trak-Ball as an Atari 2600 accessory, and then marked specific games as Trak-Ball compatible, Centipede and Missile Command included.  Obviously all 2600 joystick games were technically compatible, but the highlighting suggests they actually were planning on true Trak-Ball support with certain games, or wanted people to think they were.  Given how Missile Command was published before the Trak-Ball came out, my money is on the latter.

6 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

The funny thing is how the 1983 catalog advertised the Trak-Ball as an Atari 2600 accessory, and then marked specific games as Trak-Ball compatible, Centipede and Missile Command included.  Obviously all 2600 joystick games were technically compatible, but the highlighting suggests they actually were planning on true Trak-Ball support with certain games, or wanted people to think they were.  Given how Missile Command was published before the Trak-Ball came out, my money is on the latter.

There is lots unknown, but serial numbers 1-15,000 for the Atari Trak-Ball were joystick mode only and said "Atari 2600" on them. Then, for reasons not completely clear, serial numbers 15,000 to several hundred thousand were exclusively dual mode (joystick/proportional trackball) and not labelled "2600". It suggests they weren't planning true-trackball for the Atari 2600, at least not with the one labelled for the 2600. Word is that Atari would only support pack-in controllers for the 2600 after Atari was sold to Warner in 1983, the same year both the JS and JS/TB versions were released, which probably killed any chance of true-trackball games for the 2600 in the 1980s.

• Like 2

I would also like to say Thank you from the bottom of my Trak Ball loving heart. These conversions are the only reason I own a Trak ball for the Atari 2600. I honestly don’t know why you would own a 2600 today and not play these amazing games all the time. Great Job!!

26dc79bcba39d8f6a77e3f37d16fb1fa.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much of a Trak-Ball fan that I am, I'd say Paddle support would be better for games like Space Invaders.

That would also be amazing. Have you ever played 5200 space invaders with a nice Trak Ball? Somehow the control feels much more precise and tactile than a paddle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, adamchevy said:

That would also be amazing. Have you ever played 5200 space invaders with a nice Trak Ball? Somehow the control feels much more precise and tactile than a paddle.

I have since I own a 5200 and 2 CX53 Trak-Balls. However, I'd still prefer to play Space Invaders or Galaxian with a Paddle. Maybe I should mod one of my CX52s into a Paddle...

• Like 1

I have since I own a 5200 and 2 CX53 Trak-Balls. However, I'd still prefer to play Space Invaders or Galaxian with a Paddle. Maybe I should mod one of my CX52s into a Paddle...

Modding a CX52 sounds like a good idea if you have a spare. Sorry to come off sounding precocious, I’m glad I am discussing this with someone who has real experience. I to would like to see a paddle version. I’m surprised their isn’t a paddle mod thread similar to this trak ball one. I would imagine more people have paddles than trak balls.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

Modding a CX52 sounds like a good idea if you have a spare. Sorry to come off sounding precocious, I’m glad I am discussing this with someone who has real experience. I to would like to see a paddle version. I’m surprised their isn’t a paddle mod thread similar to this trak ball one. I would imagine more people have paddles than trak balls.

I drew up a schematic for something that might work as a paddle for joystick games, but not certain if it would work. It's based on autofire, with two 555 timer chips, except with directions rather than button speed.BTW, diodes need to be closer to the 7 pins. Also, left and right should be shorted, not buttons.

image1 (2).jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...