It's possible the illuminated ball isn't. A long time back, think it was mid to late 90s, I had a few 3rd party balls for the trackball I used on my computer. One of them was "crystal ball" and would look illuminated depending upon where lights in the room were in relation to the ball.

I finally got a chance to play the trackball modded games last night with my CX22 for the first time. OMG, it was so awesome to play missile command and centipede with real trackball support. To those who have made these mods possible I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!!

I'm not very familiar with reactor and nexar but I'll certainly be learning those soon so that I can enjoy all the trackball goodness!

• Like 1

Here is a WIP hack: Colony 7 by Manuel Rotschkar (NTSC only for now)

This version sports a double speed mode for the enemies (left difficulty = A), IMO in original speed the game has become too easy. What are your thoughts regarding difficulty?

BTW: Manuel gave me permission to post here.

Colony7 (CX22 v0.2) (NTSC).bin

• Like 4

I'm sure others, like me, don't get on their real iron every day. I also don't turn on my computer at home all the time because I have an iPad and I need to get on the computer to save this to my harmony. But the next time I get a chance I'll add it to my harmony. These trackball hacks need to be played on the real deal unlike the regular stuff that can be checks out in Stela.

Don't take the short silence to mean anything. Us trackball owners appreciate ALL of the hacks to enable true TB support.

• Like 2

0 downloads? No love for Colony 7? :ponder:

For the record, I only downloaded the ROMs from the first post. I have a CX-80 trackball on the way but I don't yet know which encoding standard it is. Is there a CX-80 variant of the Conony-7 ROM?

I'm sure others, like me, don't get on their real iron every day. I also don't turn on my computer at home all the time because I have an iPad and I need to get on the computer to save this to my harmony. But the next time I get a chance I'll add it to my harmony. These trackball hacks need to be played on the real deal unlike the regular stuff that can be checks out in Stela.

Don't take the short silence to mean anything. Us trackball owners appreciate ALL of the hacks to enable true TB support.

This. I do a lot of web browsing on the Wii-U browser. I am on my PC right now and downloaded the ROM. Here's hoping it works with my Trackball. Is it possible to make pin adapters to convert between CX-22 andCX-80 or do I need some digital logic conversion?

For the record, I only downloaded the ROMs from the first post. I have a CX-80 trackball on the way but I don't yet know which encoding standard it is. Is there a CX-80 variant of the Conony-7 ROM?

This. I do a lot of web browsing on the Wii-U browser. I am on my PC right now and downloaded the ROM. Here's hoping it works with my Trackball. Is it possible to make pin adapters to convert between CX-22 andCX-80 or do I need some digital logic conversion?

I'm sure Thomas will make versions for all trackballs. Right now he is looking for some feedback on the speed of the enemies, which is controlled by the left difficulty switch.

Knock yourself out. I just scored a sweet "Best Offer" on a CX-80 on the 'Bay! :grin:

Your "CX80 Trak-Ball" will probably need the CX22 rom bin.

The end of CX80 production had Amiga compatible output.

I haven't seen anyone report their CX80 needs the CX80 rom binary, although recently on eBay there was a CX80 Trak-Ball with a CX80 Missile Command TB cart.

Al, Thomas, Omegamatrix and coders;

Any "move crosshairs to shoot" game will play better with less frustration with true trackball control, and improve high scoring.

Also "move player around quickly and precisely" games I come across I think, "This would be so much better with trackball control", like Fast Food and its Fat Albert hack, also Crystal Castles of course,
I know these are done as a hobby, and out of love and the challenge to create something thought nearly impossible, however, I wish we could set up a Tip Jar-like thread that lists games people can suggest to add trackball control. Members could "Kickstarter pledge" any tip amount, and then if the title happens to be hacked, people who pledged their chosen amount would be charged and the code hacker would get the total pledged tip amount.
For instance, how much would I myself have pledged to have a real trackball control patch for Millipede? As much as I could afford and then some! Priceless! Realistically I could see myself choosing to tip about $85. Centipede, Reactor, and Colony 7 around $40 each. Nexar around $20.
Imagic "Shootin' Gallery" and Atari "Crossbow" around $60 each.
Any potential legal issues with this?
There must be legal ways to tip coders for their code without having them directly profiting from games commercially released back in the Stone Age.
How about a donation for "code patch" program? Then those who pledged are only getting code to patch their backup ROMs and not the original game at all?
In conclusion, this is my wish and my sincere thanks and appreciation for work that had been done and a desire to reward those who choose to code these patches, and a reaction
to seeing the Kickstarter "Star Castle 4K" get over $23,946. post-29575-0-05000100-1446909046_thumb.jpg
Was this a one-time oddity? Was it greed? That would best be commented on in another thread.

Al, Thomas, Omegamatrix and coders;

Any "move crosshairs to shoot" game will play better with less frustration with true trackball control, and improve high scoring.

Agreed. Though some games take part of their challenge from controls, so they might become too easy then. So sometimes we might have to think about increasing the difficulty.

Maybe we can start some highscore contests for trackball games. Those would soon show reveal all difficulty problems. And provide some nice feedback from people actually enjoying the hacks.

I know these are done as a hobby, and out of love and the challenge to create something thought nearly impossible, however, I wish we could set up a Tip Jar-like thread that lists games people can suggest to add

trackball control.

I can only speak for myself here, but money won't buy me here. If I don't have fun, I won't do it. And as long as I have fun (and feedback), I will do more conversions.

Members could "Kickstarter pledge" any tip amount, and then if the title happens to be hacked, people who pledged their chosen amount would be charged and the code hacker would get the total pledged tip amount.

For instance, how much would I myself have pledged to have a real trackball control patch for Millipede? As much as I could afford and then some! Priceless! Realistically I could see myself choosing to tip about $85. Centipede, Reactor, and Colony 7 around $40 each. Nexar around $20.

Imagic "Shootin' Gallery" and Atari "Crossbow" around $60 each.

I can understand your motivation, but IMO doing stuff for money ruins the hobby. Also we might attract people, we do not like to see here.

If you want to pay back, go into the shop a buy some homebrews or hacks (I hope more trackball hacks will show up there), PLAY them, write some reviews, etc. That is worth much more than "just" money

Was this a one-time oddity? Was it greed? That would best be commented on in another thread.

It was definitely nothing I would like to repeat.