IGNORED

Replacement Controller Membranes

RWAP

I was looking at my Intellivision 1 controllers this week and saw some differences. Thought I'd share what I found. It looks like they made some modifications, including thickening one of the circuit lines for the side buttons . The thinner lines in the revised contact is ground. It looks like they tried to fix the unexpected keypad press from side+disc problem. Three lines come together with the side button, so it looks like they wanted it so that if one line failed to connect it would be ground. With my four controllers there is some noticeable improvement but its not perfect. They probably did something similar with the keypad buttons.

From a Sears Intellivision part number 2609-9589 marked "RRN"

attachicon.giforig.jpg

From a Canadian 2609 part number 2609-9589 marked "EURO RR REV-D"

attachicon.gifrev.jpg

Sorry for the delay in this project - other things have had my attention over the past few months.

Does anyone have one of the "EURO RR REV-D" versions I could borrow so we could incorporate the changes into the new mylar?

I would also be interested to know a bit more about the yellow sponge / card which is shown on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wgmfl5qjcimvsty/AAAKxTNrE1c2iNJqMhPvUWAAa?dl=0&preview=IMG_4131.JPG

Is this something we need to incorporate to improve the pressure against the fingers? If so - any ideas as to what it is made from and size?

• 1 year later...

This may or may not help you but I bought some off ebay from a guy in Venezuela. He was asking quite a bit more that I thought they should cost so I contacted him and we came to what I thought was a fair deal for both of us. I got 10 mylars for $80. The are the original 2609-9589 with no REV. The only other letters on them are RR-N. Again, I felt they were a great deal but you may not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Flex-circuit-for-Intellivision-1-Controllers-brand-new-unused/254132940901?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

post-36757-0-80203300-1557111302_thumb.jpg

post-36757-0-43178600-1557111310_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

At the moment the ones from Venezuela are your best bet. My own project has been on hold for 2 years now because the feedback was that people wanted them based on the Canadian 2609 part number 2609-9589 marked "EURO RR REV-D"; but as soon as I pointed out that I would need one of these mylars on which to base to the new ones, everyone suddenly went quiet

It is always the problem with producing new mylars / keyboard membranes - people are willing to say "Yes, great - invest some money and get some made", but as soon as you ask to borrow an existing one on which to base the new production, there is no-one willing to send you a sample!

• Like 1

This may or may not help you but I bought some off ebay from a guy in Venezuela. He was asking quite a bit more that I thought they should cost so I contacted him and we came to what I thought was a fair deal for both of us. I got 10 mylars for $80. The are the original 2609-9589 with no REV. The only other letters on them are RR-N. Again, I felt they were a great deal but you may not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Flex-circuit-for-Intellivision-1-Controllers-brand-new-unused/254132940901?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

attachicon.gif100_7435.JPG

attachicon.gif100_7434.JPG

Many thanks for the link, much appreciated!

At the moment the ones from Venezuela are your best bet. My own project has been on hold for 2 years now because the feedback was that people wanted them based on the Canadian 2609 part number 2609-9589 marked "EURO RR REV-D"; but as soon as I pointed out that I would need one of these mylars on which to base to the new ones, everyone suddenly went quiet

It is always the problem with producing new mylars / keyboard membranes - people are willing to say "Yes, great - invest some money and get some made", but as soon as you ask to borrow an existing one on which to base the new production, there is no-one willing to send you a sample!

I'll send you one of mine if you like, they're Euro RR Rev-D, let me know your address via PM and i'll post it tomorrow ;)

The Venezuelan mylars work perfect if you were wondering. Just refreshed my Sears SVA a couple weeks ago. Delivery took a couple weeks.

Definitely worth considering ;)

Thanks Adam - I have sent a pm.

The Euro RR Rev-D seem to give better feedback on the side buttons in particular, or so I understand and that is why I wanted to incorporate those changes.

Rich

• Like 1

attachicon.gif100_7435.JPG

attachicon.gif100_7434.JPG

Forget the mylars, what are those 2 Intellivision items you're using to weigh them down?

Hey, I have a brand new one you can borrow. PM me your address and I will get it right out to you, but you gotta send it back.

HJ

Hey, I have a brand new one you can borrow. PM me your address and I will get it right out to you, but you gotta send it back.

HJ

Thanks - Adam is sending me a non-working one which is better for the factory as they can keep it then :)

• Like 1

I too am glad this project is getting some new life into it. Big thank you to Rich for the project, Adam for kicking it back to life with a missing piece and Humble Jack for offering as well. You guys are great citizens here and there are those of us that just want to say thank you guys!

• Like 1

I have received the Canadian 2609 part number 2609-9589 marked "EURO RR REV-D" from Adam (many thanks) and this has now been passed onto the factory so that they can bring together the two versions and hopefully get an improved version. Fingers crossed the quote will not be much higher than last time!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, adam1977 said:

I thought i'd add a couple of pictures of the mylars, they are excellent quality and my controllers are as good as new now :)

DSC2834.jpg

DSC2835.jpg

I've got a Tandyvision one that needs 2 of these. And I would need like a half dozen others to have on hand for the future.

• Like 1