IGNORED

Replacement Controller Membranes

RWAP

20 minutes ago, RWAP said:

Yes I was going to offer it as a kit of all 3 parts - the mylar, the top layer with the keypad and the thin insulating layer.

It makes more sense than offering them individually.

I guess I’ll be following this topic now.  Can’t let this opportunity get away.   Who would have figured mylar would be something that makes you go ‘oooh! Cool’. 

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, adam1977 said:

I thought i'd add a couple of pictures of the mylars, they are excellent quality and my controllers are as good as new now :)

DSC2834.jpg

DSC2835.jpg

These are the actual new keypads?  Wow, they look amazing!  How about the control mylar and what version do you use for the circuit? 

I'm sorry if this all has been mentioned, I'm a little late to the conversation.

Great work!

3 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

These are the actual new keypads?  Wow, they look amazing!  How about the control mylar and what version do you use for the circuit? 

I'm sorry if this all has been mentioned, I'm a little late to the conversation.

Great work!

Yes - Adam has two sets of the new control mylar and top layers for testing and supplied these pictures.

I don't yet have the new controller mylars myself, but they are based on the Canadian 2609 part number 2609-9589 marked "EURO RR REV-D"

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - the replacement Intellivision I controller mylars should be with me next week, based on the improved Canadian part number: 2609-9589 marked "EURO RR REV-D"

Cost will be £12 + postage (including VAT) for a set consisting of a mylar, the separation layer and the top keypad layer (as shown in Adam's photos)

So far as I know these will only suit the Intellivision I and the Sears (Super Video Arcade) model.  Any others?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RWAP said:

Cost will be £12 + postage (including VAT) for a set consisting of a mylar, the separation layer and the top keypad layer (as shown in Adam's photos)

Will be interested in ordering some for shipping to Canada if possible.   Have a 2nd non-functional Intellivision 1 I want to restore.  

7 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Will be interested in ordering some for shipping to Canada if possible.   Have a 2nd non-functional Intellivision 1 I want to restore.  

We ship worldwide.  One of the benefits of us being VAT registered is that we would not charge the VAT on shipping outside of the EU (so you would see a price of £10 + shipping).  Of course, there might be customs fees to pay at your end.

7 minutes ago, RWAP said:

We ship worldwide.  One of the benefits of us being VAT registered is that we would not charge the VAT on shipping outside of the EU (so you would see a price of £10 + shipping).  Of course, there might be customs fees to pay at your end.

What?  You won’t cover my taxes and duties????   Madness I say!!!

Sounds completely reasonable.  :)

6 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

What?  You won’t cover my taxes and duties????   Madness I say!!!

Sounds completely reasonable.  :)

It certainly makes for a more level playing field for customers around the globe (and might help my EU customers once Brexit happens)...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Will these be made available through other means that don't require me to register with another site I will most likely not visit again after this one purchase?

No plans to list on any other sites - because (a) I run sellmyretro.com and (b) unlike other options, prices can reflect where the buyer is located..  ie, as you are outside the EU, then I can offer you the price and shipping without VAT,  compared to someone who is in the EU who has to pay the VAT on both the item and shipping.

If it is going to be a one-off purchase, then I can deal through PayPal - but you need to pm me with your name, address, paypal email and how many sets you need etc.  It is more work for me though and so I do not recommend this to everyone - otherwise I would have to increase prices to cover the extra time!

• 3 weeks later...

Received my sets in the mail today. They look great! However...

I immediately began to fold up one set for use with a Tandyvision One I have with a bad player 2 mylar. There are three issues of which 2 are pretty big.

1st issue and the biggest one by far is that the rubber pad for the contact section on the cable is simply too thick. There is a noticeable bulge at that point on the controller once reassembled. The originals I've seen (Mostly Rev 3 btw) used a thin foam pad. Had these been foam they likely would be okay as well but they are rubber so they do not compress very well when assembled. I will watch this over time, but it the bulge in the plastic at the top concerns me given that section isn't very thick there.

2nd issue is that I've had some of the blister bubbles on the new keypad overlay stick down when pressing them. Seems to mainly happen with the Zero key and others along the middle? Eventually I was able to press around it and get it to pop back up. But for now, I've got the original keypad part on this controller which takes us to..

3rd. This is a very minor issue, but the original Rev 3's I've seen actually had additional bubble dimples for each fire button on the mylar as well, that is missing on from these and is instead just flat there. It isn't really a problem, but that plain clear piece of mylar that goes between the rest of the flex and the keypad overlay is a tad too thick as well and was causing the controller to always register some direction being pressed or one of the fire buttons being pressed causing issues. I removed that and put the original rubbery overlay that goes between the flex and the keypad and it works properly now along with the buttons having a better tactile feedback again. 

So they do work but in my case I really only needed just the flex circuit part itself but they are sold as complete kits and thats cool as well since plenty of Intelly's I've seen do have cracked and worn keypad overlays as well. But the rubber pad needs to be rethought since I do think it is too thick and likely to stress the plastic too much over time. Especially plastic as old as that on the Intellivision.

Edited by -^CrossBow^-
Because my fingers aren't as fast as my brain and words get left out...
  • Like 1

I haven't installed mine yet, but what about adding some baby powder to the underside of the keypad? Put a little on your fingers and spread it around. Just a super thin coating to tack up any stickiness. 

Regarding the bulge, sounds like maybe something along the lines of 3M double-sided foam tape might work better. 

3m-foam-tape.jpg

5 hours ago, save2600 said:

I haven't installed mine yet, but what about adding some baby powder to the underside of the keypad? Put a little on your fingers and spread it around. Just a super thin coating to tack up any stickiness. 

Regarding the bulge, sounds like maybe something along the lines of 3M double-sided foam tape might work better. 

3m-foam-tape.jpg

Hadn't though of using any powder. Then again I haven't had any baby powder in this house...in...well ever since my boys are nearly adults themselves now. But the foam tape you've shown above is near exact to what was used on the originals. Again, these replacements have a square of rubber that has been attached to them and while I did try and remove it. Well...that wasn't going to happen without what seemed like possible damage to the mylar itself at that point so I didn't try any further. 

I am sorry to hear that there are apparent issues and I shall investigate with the factory...

I worked with Adam1977 to create these replacement parts and between the options available for the rubber pad, the one chosen gave the best pressure on the fingers.  Adam didn't report any bulge in the controller (and to be honest, other than his feedback, Crossbow, you are the first person to provide any comment.  I wonder if there are variations between the controllers and plastics used?

As for the extra blank piece of plastic which goes between the layers - just check that you didn't get an extra one by mistake - they do have a tendancy to stick together and so I might have inadvertantly sent two stuck together!

• Like 1

No...the rubber pad is definitely an issue. I installed a set of these into one of my Sears Video Arcade controllers tonight. Same issue with the bulging on the plastic. But I was able to completely use the kit as this one was just the control disc, controller shell, and cabling.

I will get a picture later when I can and update this to show what I'm talking about.