IGNORED

Replacement Controller Membranes

RWAP

On 10/4/2019 at 11:35 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Received my sets in the mail today. They look great! However...

I immediately began to fold up one set for use with a Tandyvision One I have with a bad player 2 mylar. There are three issues of which 2 are pretty big.

1st issue and the biggest one by far is that the rubber pad for the contact section on the cable is simply too thick. There is a noticeable bulge at that point on the controller once reassembled. The originals I've seen (Mostly Rev 3 btw) used a thin foam pad. Had these been foam they likely would be okay as well but they are rubber so they do not compress very well when assembled. I will watch this over time, but it the bulge in the plastic at the top concerns me given that section isn't very thick there.

2nd issue is that I've had some of the blister bubbles on the new keypad overlay stick down when pressing them. Seems to mainly happen with the Zero key and others along the middle? Eventually I was able to press around it and get it to pop back up. But for now, I've got the original keypad part on this controller which takes us to..

3rd. This is a very minor issue, but the original Rev 3's I've seen actually had additional bubble dimples for each fire button on the mylar as well, that is missing on from these and is instead just flat there. It isn't really a problem, but that plain clear piece of mylar that goes between the rest of the flex and the keypad overlay is a tad too thick as well and was causing the controller to always register some direction being pressed or one of the fire buttons being pressed causing issues. I removed that and put the original rubbery overlay that goes between the flex and the keypad and it works properly now along with the buttons having a better tactile feedback again. 

So they do work but in my case I really only needed just the flex circuit part itself but they are sold as complete kits and thats cool as well since plenty of Intelly's I've seen do have cracked and worn keypad overlays as well. But the rubber pad needs to be rethought since I do think it is too thick and likely to stress the plastic too much over time. Especially plastic as old as that on the Intellivision.

I have now had a response back from the factory:

Regarding the embossed overlay, I’m not sure why the switch would not return to it’s original position. All of the switches have the same embossing so should react the same.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the switch is being activated with any type of pointed instrument i.e a pen this could potentially invert the emboss & force it to remain in this position.

I guess it might just be a faulty embossed overlay, so I can send you a second one to replace it with if necessary.

The rubber pad has caused a little confusion, as the only feedback we have received so far has been from a couple of users on here where it seems to be too thick and unforgiving and Adam, who has not had a problem.  I guess it might well be that the various plastics used in the controllers may vary dependent on where they were made and how the plastic has aged.

The existing pads can be peeled off carefully and the factory has sent me a sample of a neoprene rubber that is adhesive backed & overall is thinner, and gives more to pressure to try.  If successful, then I can include this as an alternative to the existing rubber dependent on your controller.  Do you want to try this other rubber?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Absolutely I'm interested! What is the recommended way to remove the rubber pad currently on the mylar? Because it really feels 'on' there and I'm not sure it can be removed without buggering up the traces under and near it? 

I just took one here and could quite easily peel a corner back with my finger tip.  If it doesn't want to peel because of the pressure which has been exerted on it by the controller plastic, or you damage the mylar, let me know and I can send this one with the test pad to try.

PM me your details so I know which customer you are!

By the way, another customer has messaged me on sellmyretro to say:

To be honest, the 'bulge' in that area of the controller is something I've seen before - quite possibly from home remedy repairs.  Sometimes the spring contacts go a bit ... 'flabby' and people just insert material to get the controller to 'work' it seems.

It will be interesting to see if it is the rubber itself, or possibly a combination of that and the fingers no longer being in their original position and/or differences in plastic...

Realistically, we need more feedback!

2 minutes ago, RWAP said:

I just took one here and could quite easily peel a corner back with my finger tip.  If it doesn't want to peel because of the pressure which has been exerted on it by the controller plastic, or you damage the mylar, let me know and I can send this one with the test pad to try.

PM me your details so I know which customer you are!

By the way, another customer has messaged me on sellmyretro to say:

It will be interesting to see if it is the rubber itself, or possibly a combination of that and the fingers no longer being in their original position and/or differences in plastic...

Realistically, we need more feedback!

I know what they are stating, but the easiest way to correct 'flappy' fingers is to simply reform them upwards again. The original controllers I've been inside all used the foam square pad and I've not tried to use anything else on those contacts since the issue for me has always been worn contact layers preventing the controller from working. Aside from the plastic color, I've not noticed any difference in the actual manufacture between the standard 2609, Tandyvision One, or my Sears Intellivision units.

• 3 months later...

I have recently bought an Intellivision II (model no. 5872) with controllers in bad conditions

Can I buy replacement membranes for its controllers ?  In case, how can I buy them?

Off topic: actually also the side buttons are in bad conditions, is there any option to repair the buttons or to buy a new whole controller?

Yes, the Intv II membrane is attached to the keypad, so it's a different animal from the original controllers.

You do have to be careful when opening up the Intv II controllers, and part of the challenge is knowing where the plastic tabs are so you have less of a chance of breaking them. I couldn't find any good photos, so I took pictures when I opened my controllers up and posted them here. In fact, that whole thread might be helpful if you decide to attempt a repair. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I had meant to update in this thread after receiving replacement parts to address the issues I stated above. I'm pleased to say that all the issues I had previously with these replacements were resolved with newer revision replacements. I've now used a set on not only my TandyVision, but also my Sears SVA as well. There is still a tiny bit of bulge with the new membrane, but the thinner pads don't appear to stress the plastic as they were before and the controllers I've replaced with the new replacements are easily my best of the bunch now.

So thank you @RWAP for these new revision replacements!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rmzalbar said:

How much thickness needs to be shaved from the pads to fix the existing kits?

It is easier to PM me with your name and address and I will send the alternative rubber pads.  You just peel off the old ones slowly and then apply the new pads.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey just wondering if we want to order some membranes how we should go about it.  This website certainly seems to be the same @RWAP:  Brand New Mattel Intellivision 1 Controller Mylar Set (sellmyretro.com)

What is the preferred method to order these days?

Edit - I just noticed the post on the previous page - I will order from the site.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Hey just wondering if we want to order some membranes how we should go about it.  This website certainly seems to be the same @RWAP:  Brand New Mattel Intellivision 1 Controller Mylar Set (sellmyretro.com)

What is the preferred method to order these days?

Edit - I just noticed the post on the previous page - I will order from the site.

I ordered some recently.  Arrived from the UK to Canada in about a week.  That was INSANE!!!!   

I have two of these new mylars in my Sears controllers.  Working quite well.  The originals had been worn right through at the disc.  Original owners were serious gamers.

Still have 4 sets as backups.

• Like 2

BTW - I knew about this site because RWAP posted on another forum several years ago about some Vectrex controller overlays that he had made.  If you are looking to order more than one thing from the site (and combine shipping) this may also be of interest:  https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/4053

I also noticed that he has several Amiga computer keyboard membranes as well.

11 hours ago, yell0w_lantern said:

Is that £12 for a single controller’s Mylar set or for a pair of controllers?

It is £12 including UK VAT for a single controller set - so £10 if you are not in the UK.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got my replacement membranes and finally installed one today.  It worked great, and I wasn't fully cognizant that a new keypad would be included, but that is very nice as well.  A few notes:

1) Like others in this thread, I also needed to use the replacement foam pad graciously included by RWAP as the pad pre-attached to the membrane was too thick

2) I was surprised to find that the thin disc that fits between the layers below the thumb controlled disc was not included.  Be sure to harvest one from the outbound membrane.

3) You can buy a shiny new metal cover for your thumb-worn disc here:  Intellivision Metal Controller Disc – Hoskinson Industries (myshopify.com)

@RWAP - I have a few donor Intv II controllers if you want to attempt to create new membranes for those.  I'd be happy to just send a couple your way.  They really aren't THAT difficult to open if you take your time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsSrPBUaRA&t=208s

• 11 months later...
16 hours ago, dankcomputing said:

Any hope of Intellivision II controller membranes? Every single INTV II controller I've encountered has been in pretty bad shape.

A perfect intellivision II controller is not really that good.  Get Sears controllers or Some ATGames controllers with the converters.

• Like 2