IGNORED

Survival horror games on Jaguar?

LianneJaguar64

Not a lot of people know that Silent Hill was originally a Jaguar title. Toyama was a big Jaguar fan BITD and prototyped what went on to become the game we all know and fear using a stub Jaguar, an Alpine board, 3 yards of insulating tape and several buckets of Vaseline. Yamaoka was also the first person to successfully rip the Tempest 2000 mod player, well before SInister Developments, and actually composed all the audio that is present in the PS game in MadTracker on the PC.

If you don't believe me, I can bootleg some video of the PlayStation game from YouTube, get someone to make a cinepak disc (because I'm too pigshit thick to do it for myself) and sell it to you for £25 a pop - what more evidence would someone need? For £64 each, I can produce a Special Edition version where I turn on "best quality" mode on my inkjet printer for that truly professional look and use branded CD-R media with extra glossy stick-on labels.

The Jaguar community gives you all the ups and downs of a good survival horror in itself :)

Atari Jaguar - You want in?

You really want in?

post-25413-0-10919100-1444211766_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Top 10 lists on the Internet are quite common, but I've seen Alien Vs. Predator (especially in the marine mode) on more than one scary or survival/horror list. Here it is on Game Trailers, #4.

I'm actually surprised no one said it right away (too many Jag game jokes to get through, I guess). I thought it was widely accepted as a progenitor of the genre's contemporary form, along with Alone in the Dark.

Edited by Schmudde

Top 10 lists on the Internet are quite common, but I've seen Alien Vs. Predator (especially in the marine mode) on more than one scary or survival/horror list. Here it is on Game Trailers, #4.

I'm actually surprised no one said it right away (too many Jag game jokes to get through, I guess). I thought it was widely accepted as a progenitor of the genre's contemporary form, along with Alone in the Dark.

It's not widely regarded as a progenitor, although I would certain agree that Alien vs. Predator definitely nails horror/suspense. Project Firestart (C-64) and Sweet Home (Famicom) are often cited as early influencers of the survival horror genre. Of course, I myself in the book Vintage Games (in the Alone in the Dark chapter, 1) cited games like Halloween (Atari 2600) and Maxwell's Manor (multiple 8-bit computers) as early examples as well.

It's not widely regarded as a progenitor, although I would certain agree that Alien vs. Predator definitely nails horror/suspense. Project Firestart (C-64) and Sweet Home (Famicom) are often cited as early influencers of the survival horror genre. Of course, I myself in the book Vintage Games (in the Alone in the Dark chapter, 1) cited games like Halloween (Atari 2600) and Maxwell's Manor (multiple 8-bit computers) as early examples as well.

Don't forget Haunted House! An old 2600 favorite of mine!

• Like 1

Not a lot of people know that Silent Hill was originally a Jaguar title. Toyama was a big Jaguar fan BITD and prototyped what went on to become the game we all know and fear using a stub Jaguar, an Alpine board, 3 yards of insulating tape and several buckets of Vaseline. Yamaoka was also the first person to successfully rip the Tempest 2000 mod player, well before SInister Developments, and actually composed all the audio that is present in the PS game in MadTracker on the PC.

If you don't believe me, I can bootleg some video of the PlayStation game from YouTube, get someone to make a cinepak disc (because I'm too pigshit thick to do it for myself) and sell it to you for £25 a pop - what more evidence would someone need? For £64 each, I can produce a Special Edition version where I turn on "best quality" mode on my inkjet printer for that truly professional look and use branded CD-R media with extra glossy stick-on labels.

Atari Jaguar - You want in?

You really want in?

silent-hill-logic_o_4342901.jpg

Can't tell if this is genuine or not... Don't get me excited thinking someone could port Silent Hill ;) also what is a cinepak? Never heard of this...

Are you sure? Are you very sure? ;)

Hey man, I didn't say the game played well.. At least give me a little credit here. ;)

(For the record, Alone in the Dark plays like sh*t too. But I still dig that game.)

**Edit - I misread your quote, so I'll re-answer:

Highlander is not a horror-oriented game. But it is most certainly horrifying as a product!

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

Can't tell if this is genuine or not... Don't get me excited thinking someone could port Silent Hill ;) also what is a cinepak? Never heard of this...

Cinepak is the main video mode(codec=compression/decompression) of the Jaguar and JaguarCD Player, it's what Lance of Video61 really overcharges for in Black Cat Theatre movies on Jag. He should cut prices in half. For him & others on ebay -I guess anything Jag means you can jack 'em up :P for the mooonnneeyyyy!! lollz hehe. Just like Jack Tramiel himself. Its all about the buurrnn. Muhahaha.

Hey here's some I did for free, because I'm not a money grubber:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243281-no-more-st-ports-for-you/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3335419

Check it yo. late.®

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 1

Yeah, thought I might get nailed on that. I started to mention Haunted House and then decided not to go down that rabbit hole and instead try to qualify my statement by discussing only the genre's contemporary form - which is almost exclusively 3D & FPS. That would qualify Alone in the Dark (3D world) and AvP (FPS) as pretty early examples.

Curious Bill, what would you you put earlier than Alone in the Dark with that specific qualification? Regarding AvP, I could see a valid case made for Doom, but AvP's execution seems more in line with the genre's priorities.

Yeah, thought I might get nailed on that. I started to mention Haunted House and then decided not to go down that rabbit hole and instead try to qualify my statement by discussing only the genre's contemporary form - which is almost exclusively 3D & FPS. That would qualify Alone in the Dark (3D world) and AvP (FPS) as pretty early examples.

Curious Bill, what would you you put earlier than Alone in the Dark with that specific qualification? Regarding AvP, I could see a valid case made for Doom, but AvP's execution seems more in line with the genre's priorities.

We can slice and dice this any number of ways. There's a difference to me between survival horror and just a horror-themed game or a game with horror elements. If we consider AvP (1994) survival horror rather than horror-themed, then I think there's no choice but to include earlier games like Doom (1993).

If we are strictly 3D survival horror as people think of it today, I can think of no earlier example than Alone in the Dark (1992). With that said, taking out the 3D element, ALL of the other elements we think of as survival horror are present in the C-64's Project Firestart from 1989. Iit does its best to be 3D-like (and cinematic) with the technology present in the C-64, but it would be a stretch to call it 3D. Of course both Alone in the Dark and the even better known Resident Evil are not fully 3D in the modern sense either. Again, we can slice and dice this any number of ways, but I'm not sure we'd come to a satisfactory agreement.

• Like 1