IGNORED

TANK MISSION for Colecovision & ADAM

digress

Adding a new section for variety with the soldier.
Visually different from the in castle screens.
This will be for finding the enigma machine goal. The castle scenes are for finding the spy. added some new castle scenes too but this is just a short clip of the beach.

I thought getting run over by a tank was hilarious

My 8 year old finds the soldier scenes the most fun so I thought expanding that section made lots of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnEu-BFyiQ

• Like 8

I have a 32kb rom version completed in december which barely resembles this game. Yeah the megacart option really helped this balloon out of control.

your tiny little game thought has become a super big game. Pretty cool.

Another awesome effort digress. I guess you have fallen into the MegaCart trap of continually adding new elements and levels with all that extra room you have now. See what happens when that 32K barrier is squashed!

One thing that I would like to see changed on this new level is how the enemies fall out of the sky to their positions on the ground...similar to Mr. Turtle's enemies. It honestly just doesn't look right.

• Like 1

Yeah it's really noticeable on this screen. It was an easy work around at the time rather than hard code each starting postion on every screen. I'm going to correct that... adding it to the list of things to correct right now.

Another awesome effort digress. I guess you have fallen into the MegaCart trap of continually adding new elements and levels with all that extra room you have now. See what happens when that 32K barrier is squashed!

One thing that I would like to see changed on this new level is how the enemies fall out of the sky to their positions on the ground...similar to Mr. Turtle's enemies. It honestly just doesn't look right.

Floating key was an error. I noticed after the fact and removed it.

Floating platform makes no sense of course I could just put in some poles platforms you jump to . What I was doing was making it so you are getting shot at and possibly knockied into the pit of barbed wire off the floating platform.

There are similar platforms in pitfall & cabbage patch kids that also make no sense.

I'll see if something else makes sense there. possibly a rickety deteriorating bridge and the longer you stop to duck the more likely you get dropped into the pit.

I like the giant tank, but I think that moving floating platform looks out of place and would drive me nuts. What us the floating key in the top left? Do you have to jump off the top of the tank to get it?

Looks great. Much better than the magic floating platform! :-D

Jumping on the dead body at the 24 second mark was funny.

I understand what you are doing when the killed soldier changes from a sprite to tiles, but it does look strange to go from single color sprite to outlined in black tiles. Is there frame time to check what the color is under the dead guy and replace black with that color.

at the 0:21 mark the guy would be red, but the block color would be black for his legs that are over the steel, blue for the tile that was water, then brown for the upper body?

Same at 0:47, the color black would be light blue

Either that or maybe change the dead body to a casket or tombstone.

Wow the way your game is coming along and the way the soldier moves into a little ball. I would swear you are on the verge of making a metroid for Atari... which by the way is a very very good thing! I think you might be getting close to biggest / most extensive homebrew 2600 game yet? I am hoping you are going to keep filling that game up and break a record with a long style adventure game!

Keep up the great work, I am so looking forward to buying one when you finally say... "ok, that's it... I put in the kitchen sink, and I or this community cannot think of even one more thing to add.. " haha..

Kitchen Sink... I could add it as a blunt force trauma pick weapon as you escape the castle before you get a gun.

Wow the way your game is coming along and the way the soldier moves into a little ball. I would swear you are on the verge of making a metroid for Atari... which by the way is a very very good thing! I think you might be getting close to biggest / most extensive homebrew 2600 game yet? I am hoping you are going to keep filling that game up and break a record with a long style adventure game!

Keep up the great work, I am so looking forward to buying one when you finally say... "ok, that's it... I put in the kitchen sink, and I or this community cannot think of even one more thing to add.. " haha..

Thanks for the heads up Tarzilla, I totally spaced, on the forum as I was just posting in 2600 forum. I am not really sure how to edit that post as the edit button does not appear for me? Strange.. I wonder if I am doing something wrong..

I think there is a time limit or certain rules in order to edit when you are not a full subscriber to the site.

It doesn't matter, thanks for checking on the progress. I love the atari 2600 too. I may make a game for it sometime as well although the 7800 would be easier if I was porting one my previous games.

I never played metroid. I'll have to check it out to see what the gameplay is like.

Thanks for the heads up Tarzilla, I totally spaced, on the forum as I was just posting in 2600 forum. I am not really sure how to edit that post as the edit button does not appear for me? Strange.. I wonder if I am doing something wrong..

I hope you add some sort of continue/password/secret code sorta feature to this, as it looks to be getting pretty big! I'd hate to get far in and then stuck on one act and not be able to progress without starting over. Just going off what I'm seeing, that thought comes to mind. Just a suggestion. I'm excited for this!

• Like 2

hmm. Could do that. at the moment it's not really necessary. But then again I know exactly where to go and I don't get lost etc. I shall put it in if I don't run out of room first.

It's kind of like a army related RPG. But no real stats other than kills, score etc.

-There is a doable the length of your cannon range pickup

-I changed the landmine pickup so it works even if you are driving in the tank but you only get to use it once and it's gone. I hit the mines all the time so it's a ery useful save when you forget to watch out for them.

-there is a special airstrike pickup which is necessary for certain walls the heed your progress that can only be destroyed with an airstrike. I put in a room that you can't reach without a special power up yesterday. Sort of like a quest item.

- bullets are now limited in the soldier areas too and you can run out. There are some bullets now located in a chest or 2 along the way to compensate but it makes it more challenging. Trying to get past the tanks,2 dogs & 2 soldiers screen with no bullets is virtually impossible although I did it once.

I hope you add some sort of continue/password/secret code sorta feature to this, as it looks to be getting pretty big! I'd hate to get far in and then stuck on one act and not be able to progress without starting over. Just going off what I'm seeing, that thought comes to mind. Just a suggestion. I'm excited for this!

• Like 1

I really like how most CV games have difficulty selection. Here are some ideas:

Private - Unlimited Continues

Corporal - 3 Continues

Sargeant - No continues

Maybe use corresponding insignias that'd show up when completing a stage, finishing the game or getting a game over screen with the final score.

If all that is too much, maybe just a simple undocumented continue button (*) at the game over screen, kind of like an easter egg.

Just some suggestions. Thanks for listening. :)