IGNORED

TANK MISSION for Colecovision & ADAM

digress

So for the hard level I've added an additional Prison level - colecovision tank mission

So you start out in a cell and have to work your way out of the castle ...with no bullets. So I added a hand to hand attack which will also work on any level when you run out of bullets.

-added rifle grenades for breaking some barriers
-added hand to hand attack when you have no bullets.
-prision level...has no bullets as you are escaping from prison
-fixed a bunch of things. just need to add a few more rooms and this stage is done.

https://youtu.be/otawQARljAw

• Like 5

Love how you took that guard out midway through dropping down on him. Lol

This is looking great! Thanks for the update

Yes there is a satisfying crunch when you reign death from above. Been watching wrestling lately so it's sort of like shane mcmahon off the steel cage elbow drop. I laugh at it everytime i do it. I espicially like getting the guy on the other side of the rotted bridge. course if you miss he turns around and shoots you point blank.

I'm going to increase the damage done on the hard level too so 1 bullet will be like %50 damage as it should be. This will also encourage ducking. It's too easy right now. I'll leave it low damage for the other levels.

• Like 1

This game is really looking like a lot of fun, I cannot wait to buy a copy and play with it. To think this started out as just a tank game to become this grand vision you are working on!

Thank you again for all of your kind efforts, those of us that cannot program for the Coleco are very grateful..

• Like 2

Yeah it was. My goal was to redo or outdo my previous tank game. The version I had in december was better but not by enough. So i'm glad I took the 6 months to expand the hell out of it. This is significantly better than any previous version.

incidentaly. I was considering porting this to atari 7800. I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile venture or not as it would require carts, pcbs and boxes etc. Is there significant interest in 7800 games compared to colecovision to justify this?

Perhaps the sega master system would make more sense as it would be easier to port to.

This game is really looking like a lot of fun, I cannot wait to buy a copy and play with it. To think this started out as just a tank game to become this grand vision you are working on!

Thank you again for all of your kind efforts, those of us that cannot program for the Coleco are very grateful..

Yeah it was. My goal was to redo or outdo my previous tank game. The version I had in december was better but not by enough. So i'm glad I took the 6 months to expand the hell out of it. This is significantly better than any previous version.

incidentaly. I was considering porting this to atari 7800. I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile venture or not as it would require carts, pcbs and boxes etc. Is there significant interest in 7800 games compared to colecovision to justify this?

Perhaps the sega master system would make more sense as it would be easier to port to.

Always could use more 7800 homebrews :thumbsup:

Maybe. I really hate destroying perfectly good vintage carts tough. Even donkey kong carts or ET carts gives me too much guilt.

I have been doing mold making for the past 1.5 years and have gotten pretty good at it. I've even made a successful colecovision cart mold and produced a couple of functional casings. There is always a way.

I'm looking for a way to reuse all the logic I designed which was the hard part and just rework the graphics & sound for a different system. I'm even considering a tandy 1000 using tandy graphics. But I suppose using vga graphics makes more sense.

Just speculating.

incidentaly... i'm casually making a windows/web browser game. It's only got 2 screens so far and not very much to do yet but if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/GerryB15/tank-survival-game

Probably, but where can you find SMS cartridge casings? Would you use donor carts? :)

I've never even played an atari 5200 or 7800 I just find them fascinating. Obviously played 2600 a lot though and I did however play a fair bit of atari 800 games on a friends system and I understand the hardware is similar. Had a really good version of donkey kong. I liked Eastern Front 1941 but as a kid I had no real idea what was going on.

Anyways which system has the more interest/support? I would personally design another game for my favourite (the sanyo mbc 555) but there might be 2-3 people in the whole world interested so what is the point.

I'd be afraid to develop anything for intellivision. It'd be like joining a religion. I have 3 intellivisions, 165 games including a few homebrews so it is very cool and I have made a few small sample projects on it.

The Atari 5200 and Intellivision could use some love as well

Thats very cool and good. Yes i like all and grew up with the Atari 2600, 5200 and intellivision. thats very cool, you have have alot of games for the intv. I like the colecovision as well.Yes i also have the Atari 8 bit. Donkey kong, has the best version and good games as well. Mr turtle is awesome, and very nicely done. I didnt get the coleco until the mid 90s . good system as well. Now days there a very cool homebrews for all the systems . thank you for helping support the homebrew and the classic systems we all love and enjjoy. .

I've never even played an atari 5200 or 7800 I just find them fascinating. Obviously played 2600 a lot though and I did however play a fair bit of atari 800 games on a friends system and I understand the hardware is similar. Had a really good version of donkey kong. I liked Eastern Front 1941 but as a kid I had no real idea what was going on.

Anyways which system has the more interest/support? I would personally design another game for my favourite (the sanyo mbc 555) but there might be 2-3 people in the whole world interested so what is the point.

I'd be afraid to develop anything for intellivision. It'd be like joining a religion. I have 3 intellivisions, 165 games including a few homebrews so it is very cool and I have made a few small sample projects on it.

The 5200 definitely needs more homebrew games but the controllers might be why not enough people bother . The 7800 has more homebrews than the 5200 but doesn't have near what the 2600 or Colecovision have . So I think whatever you choose you couldn't go wrong with and it would come down to what would be easier/less frustrating for you to program for .

• 3 weeks later...

Hope i'm not boring anyone with this as I realize it's self promotion. something i've never been good at. You can always ignore it anyways if not interested.

Here is a complete run of the easy level which actually has an ending once you return to the front line after the plane. I might add the plane in being dragged behind the tank. it actually took about 20 minutes but youtube had a 15 minute time max for videos so I had to edit out close to 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqXx4wXXyeg&feature=youtu.be

this easy level has only a map of 10 areas and you can only go left and right on the map.

-no red tanks - which are only on the medium & above levels and are much harder to kill and kill yiou easier

-only 1 soldier & 1 dog

-unlimited soldier ammo

-prision escape scene is only on the sargeant level

-5 lives

- new derigable attack missle launcher. plane only on higher level

- the plane level is longer with more difficult landscape and has enemy plane additionally if on the medium above level

added graphics & sound.

I consider the easy level complete. The game is complete.. I have a little room left so I will add some additional soldier rooms to the higher levels but that will only take a day or so.

• Like 4

Your game looks so amazing that I couldn't resist to make some suggestions:

1. Disable screen before redrawing background between rooms, then enable it.

2. Some optimization of your routines, the music slowdown is slightly annoying.

3. After the small tanks scene, the first scene with a chest has an artifact, top of chest is replicated two rows above and some columns to right.

4. It lacks a sound effect for the dog bite or energy lost. At first glance I thought dogs were simply a visual.

5. Some optimization of video routines to avoid the tearing effect in scrolling. You can draw in a hidden zone of VDP memory and switch buffers changing only one VDP register when frame is ready.

6. My very personal opinion: Bach music doesn't fit in game.

;)

Yeah, i'm not in a hurry so if you have some suggestions that could improve it i'll see what I can do. There just isn't any more room to expand any further but glitches for sure need to be fixed.

The play testing for sure will be done. And I'll have a 3rd party do that as I may not do something that someone else might.

Looks great and thanks for posting videos . Now some hard testing so you don't have a buggy game ;-)

And of course only a foolish person would not listen to good technical advise from Oscar.

1. can do disable screen

2. The music slowdown is annoying when too much is going on. I have fixed this by putting it into the nmi routine and have perfect music but I was then having video corruption due to bank switching. I'll give it another try.

3. Was in the process of trying to locate this artifact today. Pleased that you noticed the mistake. You must have been watching closely.

4. Dog bites sfx . Will do. That might be a challenge to make a sound like a dog though. Maybe a beep. I'd love to put in some digital cursing when the dogs get on you.

5. The scrolling has been a real pain. slight adjustments and it all goes into video corruption. I am using the hidden screen to load the graphics and doing the scrolling on the live screen in 4 sections. Since you notice it I'll have to correct it to one solid screen update.

6. but do you like the Stars & Stripes? I'm defiantly open to suggestions. consider bach gone. I'll see if something else fits. or just remove it. There isn't much room though. Something short that repeats. Maybe the batman theme.

Your game looks so amazing that I couldn't resist to make some suggestions:

1. Disable screen before redrawing background between rooms, then enable it.

2. Some optimization of your routines, the music slowdown is slightly annoying.

3. After the small tanks scene, the first scene with a chest has an artifact, top of chest is replicated two rows above and some columns to right.

4. It lacks a sound effect for the dog bite or energy lost. At first glance I thought dogs were simply a visual.

5. Some optimization of video routines to avoid the tearing effect in scrolling. You can draw in a hidden zone of VDP memory and switch buffers changing only one VDP register when frame is ready.

6. My very personal opinion: Bach music doesn't fit in game.

;)

• Like 1

1. can do disable screen

Cool!

2. The music slowdown is annoying when too much is going on. I have fixed this by putting it into the nmi routine and have perfect music but I was then having video corruption due to bank switching. I'll give it another try.

You can save the current bank in a variable and restore it after the NMI.

You don't need to add further code, just put a byte for each bank containing the current bank number, this byte is read and saved before entering NMI and restored before returning.

3. Was in the process of trying to locate this artifact today. Pleased that you noticed the mistake. You must have been watching closely.

:grin:

4. Dog bites sfx . Will do. That might be a challenge to make a sound like a dog though. Maybe a beep. I'd love to put in some digital cursing when the dogs get on you.

:)

5. The scrolling has been a real pain. slight adjustments and it all goes into video corruption. I am using the hidden screen to load the graphics and doing the scrolling on the live screen in 4 sections. Since you notice it I'll have to correct it to one solid screen update.

If you make a map of VDP memory usage, you will note there are 768 bytes free aligned into 1K.

Modifying a single VDP registers changes the video frame to the new address.

Technically you'll not lose more speed because you only need to build your video frame in another address and change the register value.

6. but do you like the Stars & Stripes? I'm defiantly open to suggestions. consider bach gone. I'll see if something else fits. or just remove it. There isn't much room though. Something short that repeats. Maybe the batman theme.

Stars & Stripes is a nice march :)

There are also other military marchs you could put in the space of the Bach one ;)

Not of a fan of -some- of the colour changing on the title. I like the red/orange/yellowish colours and the black/white versions but not the negative of blues based ones.

Did you get around to alternate controllers like the Super Action or driving module?

Definitely a must buy

• Like 1

superaction controller button 3 is active. The spinner on the superaction was also working but much too slow to turn the tank fast enough.

The steering wheel was programmed and working, I upgraded to sdcc 3.6 and it stopped working correctly and started alot of video corruption. At the moment I'm undecided about putting it back in.

It works but I'm not sure why the tiles started getting corrupted the moment you enable it and start turning.

It's not great though. Because you have to use the keypad so much and the turret needs to be controlled by the joystick.

The title is meant to be like a screen saver if you leave the room for a few minutes. I will limited the pallet a bit more.

Not of a fan of -some- of the colour changing on the title. I like the red/orange/yellowish colours and the black/white versions but not the negative of blues based ones.

Did you get around to alternate controllers like the Super Action or driving module?

Definitely a must buy

• 1 month later...

Here is an in game sample with some digital voice effects that I've put together using the voice playback from tursi & artrag.

I have the steering wheel working again so that's in there.

the superaction controller uses 3 buttons and you can if you want even steer using the spinner though not as good as the steering wheel.

I am not set on the samples yet so indeed "achtung!" & "Gott in Himmel" could end up in there. Perhaps I could get a suggestion or two. There isn't much room but I can fit about 12 short fx. I have about 7 so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXnP8PYMnk

Definitely a must buy

digress, on 15 Aug 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:snapback.png

Cool. For some reason I was expecting "Achtung!" from Castle Wolfenstein 3D

Or some from the original Castle Wolfenstein:

I have the steering wheel working again so that's in there.

the superaction controller uses 3 buttons and you can if you want even steer using the spinner though not as good as the steering wheel.

• Like 2

This game is looking amazing and will be a must buy for my CV....that said, I do believe you know that if you made an Inty version we'd support the heck out of that. :)