IGNORED

Tip: working from dropbox

ggn

Ah, Dropbox.

I hate it.

First time I tried to use it, it was because some friends wanted to share their project with me. I ended up deleting all files in the folder (because modern hipster tool programmers can't code for shit apparently) and everyone scrambling to find backups because back then there was no undo on deletion. Ossom service and all.

Anyway, people told me that they actually try to use rb+ with dropbox to sync their projects. The problem apparently is that some times during build, the process will fail, usually when makelink is running. I can only assume that dropbox is trying to sync the build folder and at the same time build.bat is running and is trying to overwrite files in use by the sync. After offering my condolences for using such a shit program, I can offer a fix for this:

You need to make dropbox not sync the "build" folders inside your projects. Now, because hipsters can't code for shit, there's no clean way to do this, but you have to use a workaround apparently. It is explained here. In short, you need to create a folder called "build" in your dropbox root folder, then make it un-syncable, THEN move it to the project folder. It will probably work. I didn't try it. I'm not sure it'll fix the random build errors people report. Try it and tell me.

(nope, sorry, really dislike dropbox - whatever happened to good old floppies to sync files between computers? ;))

• Like 4

That's not a bad idea but starting and stopping services on windows takes precious seconds which I'm not comfortable with.

On a related topic, googling for 10 seconds sent me here, where it says that there is a cli interface for dropbox that can start and stop it ...but you have to install more hipster bullshit slowdown crap (i.e. Python). (insert random profoundprogrammer image here).

• Like 1