IGNORED

PS1 Beginners BUYING GUIDE & Best Games

Metal Jesus

Metal Jesus & Reggie create a Buying Guide to help the new PS1 Collector understand the different console hardware variants, controllers and recommend some of the best games to get Day 1!

GAMES SHOWN:
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Die Hard Trilogy
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil 2
Soulblade
Puzzle Star Sweep
Rayman
Chrono Cross
Point Blank 1 & 2
Gran Turismo 1 & 2
PlayStation Analog Joystick (SCPH-1110)
What other PS1 Games would you recommend to the new collector?
  • Like 3

Great list, some more must haves for collecting:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Castlevania: Chronicles

Einhander

Final Fantasy 7

Fear Effect

Legend of Dragoon

Silent Hill

Dino Crisis

Tenchu

Tekken 3

Metal Gear Solid

Parasite Eve II

Suikoden (if they have the cash Suikoden II)

Tomba!

Vandal Hearts

Vagrant Story

Xenogears

X-Men Mutant Academy

The original Playstation had hundreds of great games but some not listed are

Wild 9

the Gex series (needs a comeback)

Fighting Force (probably the best 3D beat'em up game)

Oddworld games

Colony Wars games

Jet Moto series

first two Twisted Metal games

Syphon Filter games

Spyro the Dragon series

Dark Stone

Alien Resurrection (way better than the movie)

G-Darius

Medievil series

Tomb Raider games

I'll stop there since I could go on and on. Tons of great games.

Playing PS1 games on the Vita is one of my favorite things about the handheld :)

I feel bad but the only games I have on my Vita are PSX JRPGs and Cool Boarders 3. It's the best place to play them with the standby lasting so damn long on that system. It's a really great handheld (other than the expensive proprietary storage media, wtf!) and I wish it saw more attention. I feel like half the games on the PSN for it are anime games that I can hardly parse the title for.

To some of the above, I feel any list with FF7 should have 9 on it as well. I'm replaying it and it's just such a well executed FF in my opinion. And compared to the story in FF7 the plot isn't a giant bucket of 'what the hell?'. I loved FF7 and only recently actually beat Sephiroth after a save corruption years ago that left me burned, but to me 9 really deserves some credit.

Wow, you so rarely see that game mentioned, but you are right! It's pretty cool and often overlooked.

I was just playing Xevious 3D+G on PsTV this morning, and recommended it to a friend who liked the old arcade game. I sold it as "four versions of the old game in a cheesy late 90s package." It's so awkward but still very cool.

To some of the above, I feel any list with FF7 should have 9 on it as well. I'm replaying it and it's just such a well executed FF in my opinion. And compared to the story in FF7 the plot isn't a giant bucket of 'what the hell?'. I loved FF7 and only recently actually beat Sephiroth after a save corruption years ago that left me burned, but to me 9 really deserves some credit.

They were all good. For me 7 has the most sentimental value and 8 is my personal favorite. 9 was a great throwback but I didn't like the way the final parts of the game were played out. That one also had the worst Strategy Guide ever made. :P

For anyone that doesn't know all versions of the PS3 can play PS1 games. Just pop the disc in. You do not have to buy a PS1 game on PSN if you already own the disc! I'm sure a lot of people around here already know that but almost every time I mention it to a PS3 owner they are surprised. I still prefer to play my PS1 games on an actual PS1 connected to a CRT with good cables but the PS3 is a good alternative.

For anyone that doesn't know all versions of the PS3 can play PS1 games. Just pop the disc in. You do not have to buy a PS1 game on PSN if you already own the disc! I'm sure a lot of people around here already know that but almost every time I mention it to a PS3 owner they are surprised. I still prefer to play my PS1 games on an actual PS1 connected to a CRT with good cables but the PS3 is a good alternative.

Definitely. I still have a PS1 hooked up along with some other older consoles on a CRT, just looks better. Too lazy to try and look it up but I don't think ALL PS1 games are compatible with the PS2 & PS3

My favorites are:

Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo 2

Driver

Driver 2

Grand Theft Auto

Crash Bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex Strikes Back

Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Castlevania Chronicles

Point Blank

Point Blank 2

Point Blank 3

Spyro the Dragon

Spyro the Dragon 2

Spyro the Dragon 3

Gex

• Like 2

Definitely. I still have a PS1 hooked up along with some other older consoles on a CRT, just looks better. Too lazy to try and look it up but I don't think ALL PS1 games are compatible with the PS2 & PS3

There are a handful of PS1 games that can't be played or glitch on a PS2 (a few more than that on the PS2 slim.)

Best part about using a PS3 is it internally upscales PS1 to 1080p. I've heard the output compares well to the Framemeister.

Pretty much every standard ps1 game will work on a PS3 from the same region. The only exceptions that come to mind are the lightgun games that require a ps1 controller port and a CRT TV.

Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga - remake of the first 3 Wizardry games with improved graphics. Dungeons actually have textures (no more wireframe although there's an option to still play with them if you want), automapping..

It only released in Japan, but you can switch the text to english and most all of it is translated. It's also on the SNES with a patch that translates everything completely, btw. (different graphics of course) http://www.romhacking.net/translations/496/

X-Com UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep

Kings Field games & Shadow Tower

Deathtrap Dungeon

Final Fantasy Tactics & Tactics Ogre

Castlevania Chronicles

R-Types/Delta

Bushido Blade 1 and 2

Duke Nukem Total Meltdown & Time to Kill

Doom and Final Doom

Rogue Trip Vacation

Rollcage

Edited by bussinrounds