IGNORED

Xevious on Jaguar

Rick Dangerous

I wonder how the screen aspect ratio will be dealt with? Maybe a border with powerup/score information a la Raiden? I know some people would be enthused if it displays at a 90 degree tilt requiring the TV to be rotated to simulate the arcade experience, but the casual player in me would prefer the Raiden method :)

In my setup I have a monitor permanent on it's side for the many "vertical" games the Ps1/Ps2/Dreamcast has to offer.

So I wouldn't mind if the TATE mode would be present in the game, in fact it would be great.

I wouldn't be utterly disappointed with a direct translation, but I sure wouldn't mind the minor tweak here and there.

I'll be happy with a direct port, which most likely it will be, however I would like to see the graphics improved a bit, not changed, but just using like 256 color or 16-bit color depth would be really cool. Sort of the same way Another World was changed from the original 16 color too 256 color graphics...

8/16-bit ports or clones are fine, but at least improve the color depth for the Jaguar, like Reboot does with their classic remakes. I just hate seeing ports on the Jag that could be done on other 80's consoles/computers exactly the same...might as well just play the versions I have on the older systems in that case (except in the case of direct arcade ports, which most of the 8/16-bit systems couldn't quite match).

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

I'll be happy with a direct port, which most likely it will be, however I would like to see the graphics improved a bit, not changed, but just using like 256 color or 16-bit color depth would be really cool. Sort of the same way Another World was changed from the original 16 color too 256 color graphics...

8/16-bit ports or clones are fine, but at least improve the color depth for the Jaguar, like Reboot does with their classic remakes. I just hate seeing ports on the Jag that could be done on other 80's consoles/computers exactly the same...might as well just play the versions I have on the older systems in that case (except in the case of direct arcade ports, which most of the 8/16-bit systems couldn't quite match).

For what its worth, virtually all of the Xevious ports to 80s consoles and computers really paled when compared to the arcade version. I don't think you could say any of these are very close to arcade perfect when examining the graphics, framerate, aspect ratio and sound.

Of course I get what you mean and the sentiment you have. Licensing issues aside, maybe a version of Xevious Arrangement, released by Namco for arcade and PS1 back in the 90s would be a good source of graphics in the old style, but enhanced slightly.

• Like 2

I spent some time playing the game yesterday, and it's pretty much a spot-on port of the arcade game. If you want to play the arcade version of Xevious, you'll be quite happy with this version. If you're looking for an enhanced version, then you will be disappointed. Personally, I think it's great, and I loved the arcade game back in the day. It takes a great deal of effort to program a game like this from scratch and replicate the look and feel of the original game so closely.

..Al

• Like 14

For what its worth, virtually all of the Xevious ports to 80s consoles and computers really paled when compared to the arcade version. I don't think you could say any of these are very close to arcade perfect when examining the graphics, framerate, aspect ratio and sound.

A neighbor had the NES version when we were kids and I remember enjoying that release quite a bit, I'm looking forward to the Jag version.

• Like 1

There's a "modern" updated version exclusive to PS3 called Xevious: Resurrection.

I know, nobody told me about it either!

First I'm hearing of it. Oh wait, it's one of them new fangled digital download only type of things - that's why. :rolling:

Looks very cool though - thanks for sharing!

I spent some time playing the game yesterday, and it's pretty much a spot-on port of the arcade game. If you want to play the arcade version of Xevious, you'll be quite happy with this version. If you're looking for an enhanced version, then you will be disappointed. Personally, I think it's great, and I loved the arcade game back in the day. It takes a great deal of effort to program a game like this from scratch and replicate the look and feel of the original game so closely...Al

As stated before, I'm happy with an arcade port, and it's an all-time fave of mine so maybe very happy is better suited. But, had it been enhanced in gfx/sfx, I would have been exstatically overjoyed.B-)

• Like 2