IGNORED

Xevious on Jaguar

Rick Dangerous

Personally I'm not that interested in remixed sound tracks, especially if it introduces a lengthy delay in the release date.

Wha! The original soundtrack is epic I will grant you but in this day and age it gets grating after about two minutes. No bass... Wasn't Xenon II and Rebooteroids worth the wait for the great and new for 2K beats?

• Like 4

Wha! The original soundtrack is epic I will grant you but in this day and age it gets grating after about two minutes. No bass... Wasn't Xenon II and Rebooteroids worth the wait for the great and new for 2K beats?

You realize you just cost me more money. Now I have to get Xenon II. ;-)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow. How is it that I didn't know about this? Oh, it must be because I don't (yet) have a Jaguar. Well, this game is going to change that.

I spent the best part of my Computer Science degree playing Xevious in the uni arcade. I was never quite as good as my mate, who could last for several hours, but I did manage to reach the end of the map a few times (the dips were set to continue from the start) and clock the score once or twice (sadly, unlike my mate, not more than once in the same game). Fun fact, your extra Salvalou go 8,9,A,B,C... my mate had 'W' when it hit the right edge of the screen. BTW there are quite a few more hidden citadels than is documented on the net, and I used to know where every single one of them was. Used to. I own a (bootleg) Xevious arcade PCB and of course Namco Classics Vol 1. I started to reverse-engineer the original arcade ROMs many, many years ago with the intention of writing a MAME driver, but was beaten to the punch. I did, however, end up writing the Namco Classics MAME driver! Fast-forward about two decades and having made some good progress on an FPGA emulation, I set it aside to pursue other projects and - bam - beaten again.

Xevious is hands-down my favourite arcade game. These days I spend a lot of my hobby time reverse-engineering retro games and porting them between platforms. Xevious is on my to-do list, most likely targeting the Neo Geo. I'm curious to know whether this port is a direct translation of the original Z80 code, some sort of hybrid emulation, or done purely from observation using ripped graphics? All my ports are direct translation from original assembler code. It's a long hard slog but the end result is 100% accurate. Right now I'm doing Asteroids for the IIGS/Coco3 and possibly others.

Anyway, enough rambling. It goes without saying that I'd like to be on whatever list exists for pre-order. And now I'm going to go an check out development resources for the Jaguar. Maybe I can target one of my existing ports to it? Apple II Lode Runner or ZX Spectrum Knight Lore on the Jaguar, anyone?

TLDR; I'd like to be on the pre-order list please!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there any news on the status of this release..?

The code was finished a few years back. You can play it at PRGE in October 2018, and again in 2019, and again in 2020....

The developers have now moved onto the most difficult and time consuming part of any Jaguar release - getting the cartridge case design and retail packaging right.

:P

• Like 4