IGNORED

Carrot Kingdom™ - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

Thanks for posting another demo. This game is really coming together nicely.

I encountered an issue with the collision detection. If you jump into the corner of a wall just right, you can end up stuck in the wall until you jump out of it. Perhaps it is related to the fact that the player is drawn using flicker to enable a two color sprite. Could you draw the legs and feet on every frame to eliminate some of the flicker and possibly improve collision detection with the level?

post-40226-0-60717400-1487164404_thumb.png

Hopefully this is the last update and I can start working on the subsequent levels.

Update:

Carrot Kingdom Demo .07g -

*Adjustment to quell Potential Bread Cat battle after ghost kills you.

attachicon.gifCARROT_KINGDOM_DEMO_7g.bin

Thanks for all the feedback I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I am making it! Chocolat really appreciates it too. ;3

BTW *Tease Tease* you'll find out who is Chocolat later. ;3

bb1aec1c838e279af674f3b3edc8adf5.jpg

Nice Updates. Can't wait to see more. Like the subtle tweaks.

Made it to the end of the forest!!! MORE MORE MORE!!! Love it!

Some weirdness: While fighting the ghosts, I notice that if I go left and then turn and head right, my character's speed increases dramatically for a short burst and then returns to normal. Those ghosts are unrelenting!

Understandable complaints about the collision.

It sucks cuz it uses the VCS hardware collision. I tweaked it a bit this morning it's better but still not great. I've played with it probably 100 hours to get it this good.

My other option is to make a function like PFPixel to read what tile Jinny is at to see if it's solid or not. I made one but haven't been able to get it working reliably yet.

Some weirdness: While fighting the ghosts, I notice that if I go left and then turn and head right, my character's speed increases dramatically for a short burst and then returns to normal. Those ghosts are unrelenting!

I see this as well.

One other weird thing I noticed-- when you start out in the cemetery (even after a ghost death), there's a dust cloud that appears just to your left and disappears.

Is that a bug, or something else?

Thanks!

-John

I see this as well.

One other weird thing I noticed-- when you start out in the cemetery (even after a ghost death), there's a dust cloud that appears just to your left and disappears.

Is that a bug, or something else?

Thanks!

-John

Yeah, it's the same poof that comes from an enemy death. Not sure what that's about. I just assumed it was the poof of you spawning in the graveyard.

Yeah, it's the same poof that comes from an enemy death. Not sure what that's about. I just assumed it was the poof of you spawning in the graveyard.

Yeah! that's what it is! :D Jinny's 'Teleport Poof'. 'Teleporting' from the Bread Catstle to the Forest.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm there with you on the collision. I wanna tighten it even more if I can. :3

Yeah the speed in the graveyard level when you go right when not scrolling is a byproduct of some klugy collision hackery. So that'll be fixed if I can get the better collision working that I started.

In the meantime though I'm gonna work on some of the next levels and the next boss so we can get at least more of the gameplay and such in there. :)

Edited by Jinroh

Hi Jinroh!

Thumbs up for this project --- gameplay feels very nice, and not being able to move back left has a nice Super-Mario-Land-vibe to it :) In addition, it has helped me to identify an inaccuracy in the new Stella 5 TIA core which I guess also exposes a typo in your own code. You can read up the details in the github bug I've opened for the issue:ers https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues/94 The relevant LDA $0A happens at 0xF0FA, bank 3.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

Oh wow thanks so much DirtyHairy.

Sorry to cause you so much trouble, I can't believe I missed that. >~<

Glad you like the game though and I'll examine the code later and correct my dumb typo. ^^

No worries, not so much trouble, and it helped me to identify three issues with the new code. And there's nothing dumb about a bug, either --- everybody leaves them, they're an unavoidable byproduct of software development ;)

In particlar, leaving out the '#' and doing 'LDA $0A' instead of 'LDA #$0A' (what is what I presume happened here) happens much too easily and, for devilish reasons related to the way the VCS is wired, will work fine most of the time: all but the highest bit in this read are undefined and will give whatever was on the data bus the previous cycle, and that's.... $0A :-D It's only when a paddle is connected that the highest bit will go high, and then hell breaks loose...

In fact, many VCS games, both commercial and homebrew, suffer from similar problems and will fail to work properly if undefined reads are not emulated properly. Notable examples are Haunted House and Edtris. You can use the stella option '-tiadriven 1' (or the corresponding checkbox in the debugger) to check whether your code depends on undefined reads --- it will return random values instead of the last value on the bus. Just make sure to deactivate it again after testing as it breaks many cartridges.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

Oh so cool, very interesting. I did not know these things. :3

I really appreciate you pointing this out, and as I suspected this fixed the compatibility with the Flashback Portable. Just a few graphical glitches with their emulation now from what I can tell. The switch parameter for Stella to do the TIADriven is very helpful too. :) I will be sure to check that in the future.

You can download the binary with the fix here. Enjoy!

CARROT_KINGDOM_DEMO_7h-1.bin

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

and as I suspected this fixed the compatibility with the Flashback Portable. Just a few graphical glitches with their emulation now from what I can tell.

You can download the binary with the fix here. Enjoy!

attachicon.gifCARROT_KINGDOM_DEMO_7h-1.bin

Awesome game for the AFP!

Though I keep wanting to press the fire button to shoot instead of the d-pad down. Maybe a remap of buttons in the future???

For the record: we've fixed this in Stella as well ;)

Awesome! I did see the issue was closed earlier. :D

If anyone is curious what happened on my end.

In DASM I had this constant defined which is what I was loading into the accumulator: Scroll_Ctr_Base = #10

However, as DirtyHairy pointed out, it was assembling LDA Scroll_Ctr_Base as LDA $0A instead of LDA $#0A, because I left out the #. x3

Edited by Jinroh