IGNORED

Carrot Kingdom™ - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

It's funny you say that, I did bump the ROM up to 32K, there's some more things that I wanna pack in, that just won't fit into 16K. ;) Re-writing the entire collision is on my list so that should improve things a bit as well. There was some cinematic things I wanted to add to the current boss battle, so I was like damn, I'll have to bump up the ROM size to squeeze in those intermission type things.

Good to hear! The artwork inside and outside the game is lovely. The "lives" shot of Jinny is very nicely done. I get what your going for with the jumps. It reminds me of pitfall, which is, of course, iconic. (and, I doubt anyone would say "boo" if you snuck in an extra 8-16K for more fun, and it might save you a few gray hairs ;) )

I thought about having a poster and then have a gallery of various arts in the manual, but we'll have to see when the time comes. :)

P.S., I think the pin-up pack-in is a superb idea. I'd say make a calendar, but then it would only last one year :(

Hehe you can do it! :D Just a bit more practice and you'll be killing them left and right.

My friend Carol drew my current avatar. She also drew one of the previous Kitty Jinny pics that I posted. :3

Looking forward to the next demo. Though seeing most of it would require being able to get past the ghosts. :)

Say, Jinroh, who drew your current avatar?

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.

Working on re-doing the collision, slowly...

Helping a friend pump out a demo of her game atm, but we're working quickly. ^_^;

Decided to re-write like 80% of the code. I can re-use a lot of things I did previously, but the overall base wasn't up to my liking and there's a ton of things I wanna add now that I bumped it up to 32K.

Some definite things for the next demo:

*New Collision

*Title Music

*New Boss? - Maybe I may put out an interim demo between new boss demo so you guys can give feedback on new collision and movement.

Sorry for the delays, but I want this to be a blow your socks off game. ;3

Edited by Jinroh

Thank you my good man. :)

The more I played the demos I put out, I thought to myself, "It's good, but it could be better."

Here's a quick song I composed it maybe used for the title screen, or elsewhere? IDK. I have to see how it sounds when I convert it to TIA Tracker.

While composing the song, have you limited yourself to the notes that sound not too much off-tune on the Atari 2600?

If not, I recommend trying out the pitch guide creator in TIATracker. For the waveforms you like to use for your melody, you can enter the notes you have used in your song and TIATracker will try to create an optimized pitch guide where as many of these notes as possible will sound more or less in tune, sacrificing notes that you haven't used.

The pitch guide creator was made for exactly that purpose, i.e. if a composer knows in advcance which notes are needed, it will bring in more in-tune notes than using the standard notes.

• Like 2

Oh thank you so much, I did not even consider that when composing it! :( I really just had an image of Carrot Soldiers and carrot band playing for the Carrot Kingdom™ flag...so I wasn't much thinking about the VCS at the time. ^_^;

This will be helpful though in bringing it well to the VCS. :D Thanks for the tip Kylearan.

Edited by Jinroh

I really just had an image of Carrot Soldiers and carrot band playing for the Carrot Kingdom flag...so I wasn't much thinking about the VCS at the time. ^_^;

:)

The pitch guide creator might fail horribly depending on the notes you used, but occasionally it has been able to bring in 2-4 more good-sounding notes than usual (and make some other notes more in-tune than before). So, good luck!

Edited by Kylearan

With the note pitch guide I'll have a much better chance than had I done it by ear or just from the MIDI data I have.

So I think with that and some guess and check I should make some decent approximation. :)

If not, well it just means there's even more songs I can record. ;3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks my friend! :)

Instead of a video I'm putting together a quick updated demo. I think it's got 1 more level and such, but some much improved other things. Including the collision. :)

Can't wait! Been looking forward to the next update of Carrot Kingdom aka "Catgirl Maid vs the World".

• Like 2

Thanks guys, only two bugs to fix left, that I unintentionally caused. ^o^ Hopefully I can get time to fix them up quickly here.

This week has been shitty so it's been like UGGH...thanks for your patience! :D

Can't wait! Been looking forward to the next update of Carrot Kingdom aka "Catgirl Maid vs the World".

That s pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Happy Fall, Good news!

New Demo!

Carrot KingdomDemo .8 Changes:

• New Collision System.
  • Several Fixed Collision Bugs.
  • 1 Additional level.
  • Mostly a bunch of additional under the hood optimizations/re-writes.

Next I can focus on some more substantial gameplay stuff!

CARROT_KINGDOM_DEMO_8.bin

Edited by Jinroh

Splendid! The highlight of my day! Now if only I could get by the ghost twins...this is working very nice.

Just curious. Those hearts when you kill the carrots appear very early when you already have three hearts. Do they show up later as well? I haven't seen them. Just the first two carrots.

For us impatient types, any chance of a continue mode? Thanks!

• Like 1

^^ Yeah I can see how that would be annoying. I'll look into seeing if I can squeeze in some kind of continue, RAM and code is getting tight to the 16K limit, but it might be doable.

I noticed a few things I wanted to tweak, so I'll likely be putting out another quick update here soon.

Haha, yes please! I managed to kill the ghosts a couple times, but only just, and then game over.

I know! I started playing Toki arcade in MAME recently and it takes me like 30 tries to figure out how to get past everything once I get to the floating ship with the four heads blowing steam. Without continue mode, I think I'd have gone bananas (pardon the pun :-D ).

• Like 1

Love the new parts of level 2! So excited about this game's development.

Couple of oddities:

The third set of ghosts will vanish as soon as they appear if I keep going right. They vanish as soon as I get midway past the tree.

My health bar did not refill despite grabbing two hearts in the new area (see photo).

A couple of ghosts appear right before the end of the new area, but then instantly vanish before they attack.

And the ghosts aren't that hard when you know how to deal with them:

When they are on the ground, shoot the left one first then the right. When they are flying, jump and shoot the right one, then turn and shoot the left one. Works every time for me.

post-409-0-33003900-1506444408_thumb.png

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying it guys! :) I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to update and the ghosts and a few other things. So the next demo shouldn't take nearly as long as between this and the last one.

I saw the same thing as StanJr with the ghosts. The second and third sets of ghosts disappeared for me. But, on a subsequent walkthrough, just the second. Then, just the third.

Probably not intentional, but still "spooky". :)

Love the new parts of level 2! So excited about this game's development.

Couple of oddities:

The third set of ghosts will vanish as soon as they appear if I keep going right. They vanish as soon as I get midway past the tree.

My health bar did not refill despite grabbing two hearts in the new area (see photo).

A couple of ghosts appear right before the end of the new area, but then instantly vanish before they attack.

And the ghosts aren't that hard when you know how to deal with them:

When they are on the ground, shoot the left one first then the right. When they are flying, jump and shoot the right one, then turn and shoot the left one. Works every time for me.

Thanks guys! I did notice that after I already released. >_< Annoying right? Cuz it doesn't happen all the time. Kinda cool, but not as intended. Easy fix though like 2 or 3 lines.

Heck yes! had no idea there was an update?? good thing I was snooping :-D Well play this at home tonight! yay

Hope you enjoy it man! :D The collision feels much better!

• Like 1