IGNORED

Carrot Kingdom™ - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah thanks. ^^ Glad you like it, it's actually a cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Agents of Fortune record.

The rough label art I actually posted a few pages back, but it's being re-done by a friend of mine. So will look fantastic. ;) (She actually drew my avatar pic so you can see what her style and skill is compared to my own.)

Been too busy to work on Carrot Kingdom™ the last few weeks, but I'm going to put out a demo shortly here with all the extra polish I have in and one extra level to tease a bit more. ;)

The old rough label, new one will be the same layout and such, just re-drawn and more detailed.

post-23974-0-79580300-1470026236.jpg

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

Overlapping flicker colors sometimes make a third color nothing like "yellow & blue make green"

If you would like to flicker a Titlescreen image, use Flicker Picker to see what results.

Flicker Picker Utility (2010) (RevEng).bin

post-29575-0-00178400-1477726240_thumb.jpg

So above shows green and dark orange. Where both image 1 and 2 have green and DK orange, it will be yellow.

The brown (dark orange) hair and the green eyes will flicker more because those alternate with black.

• Like 1

Thanks ieposta that's a useful tool if I ever overlap.

In this case nothing's really overlapping and it looks pretty good so far. ^^ Just need to tweak something with timing or the data later. It's the same colours I flicker with Jinny's main sprite so I was feeling pretty safe. ^^

Update 10-30-2016 Perfect now! :)

post-23974-0-48629800-1477866056_thumb.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before elsewhere, but I'll say it again here: I absolutely love the demo and can't wait to see how the finished game turns out! The graphics are lovely, the main character is totally adorable, and the gameplay is rock solid platforming fun. It's really unique impressive to see such large and detailed character sprites on the Atari 2600, and the giant boss at the end of the demo level is 10 different kinds of awesome.

Based on the demo and teaser videos alone I feel pretty confident saying that Carrot Kingdom is going to be a "must own" game when it's done. There aren't many games that I buy a copy of the very first day it's released, but this will be one of them. :)

• Like 1

Aww...thanks so much Jin, that really means a lot. :)

I'm really glad you like it and I'm still really working hard to try and make it better and better. I was actually going to release a demo this week, but decided to spend a little extra time polishing some things up I was feeling just so-so about. So that the next demo is really an improvement over the last.

• Like 1

The work you've put into it already really shows. It's the little things like the torches on the walls, the detail work on the door to the boss room, and your use of color to give the different environments their own immediately apparent construction that make the world you've created feel believable and immersive. What I mean by that last bit is that unlike a lot of games for the 2600 the platforms and objects in the environment aren't just lines to jump on, you can tell that they're made of stone, wood, grass, or metal and so on just by looking at them. Bob Ross would be proud!

Also, the title screen looks fantastic and the Bread Cat boss death animation and sound effects are very very cool! I'll be really looking forward to playing the next demo and finding out what kinds of places Jinny will be visiting next. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Ah wow! I'm really thrilled you think so. :) This is like my love letter to the VCS so I'm really glad the details I've tried to shoehorn in there have come across as well as I hoped.

Honestly until you said it I had to go back and really look at the game. I've been deep in the code so long I've forgotten to appreciate the little things. I think you'll really like the next few levels with their houses and graves and spooky trees. :)

I'm really glad you like the Bread Cat death haha, I really enjoyed coding that and think it adds a little something beyond the flashing screen seizure-iffic explosion and white noise that most VCS games have.

In the meantime since you're so sweet here's a little pinup of Jinny I had commissioned. ^^ Since she's in the Carrot Kingdom™ I wanted Jinny with a bunny suit, which turned out adorable. ^^ I have a few pinup style commissions I've had done and would love to pack them in as a poster or cards or something if I can get a boxed copy made after a while. ^^

JinnyBunnySmall.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

W-wow! Is "adorasexy" a word? I don't think it is, but that's the adjective I'm going with anyway. :lust:

I love the idea of a pinup poster being packed in with a boxed copy of the game too. I normally only buy cart and manual copies of homebrew titles, but I'd totally shell out for boxed copy with an extra like that.

...Which now that I think about it kinda makes me sound like a creeper, but what can I say? She's a fine looking feline. :) Annnnyway, getting back to the game itself, I am a huge fan of horror games so I'll definitely be looking forward to trying out the haunted graveyard levels! The screenshots you posted for them look great!

• Like 1

W-wow! Is "adorasexy" a word? I don't think it is, but that's the adjective I'm going with anyway. :lust:

I love the idea of a pinup poster being packed in with a boxed copy of the game too. I normally only buy cart and manual copies of homebrew titles, but I'd totally shell out for boxed copy with an extra like that.

...Which now that I think about it kinda makes me sound like a creeper, but what can I say? She's a fine looking feline. :) Annnnyway, getting back to the game itself, I am a huge fan of horror games so I'll definitely be looking forward to trying out the haunted graveyard levels! The screenshots you posted for them look great!

Hehe 'Adorasexy' sounds cute. ^^ I like that. Me too I thought, "What would I love if I was buying a boxed copy? Pinup of course! Who doesn't love fan service?" I have a Jinny pinup that I got made into a Wall Scroll that would be great too if I could get the cost down enough, but those kinda things I'm kicking around as I finish the game. Not creepy at all btw. ^^

Glad you're liking the graveyard spooky levels so far. ^^ I wanted to mix up the gameplay a bit so gave a bit of a nod to Ghouls 'n Ghosts/Ghosts 'n Goblins. Which I think helps a bit with the fun factor. Those carrot ghosts are tough even for me! ^^

Hmmm... looking at this picture, I'm now wondering what "carrot" stands for... :-D

Hehe well we'll say it's just 'carrot' for now. ;) Unless you look at some seedier part of the interweb, then you likely will find something more along your thought. :D

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! :)

Life has been annoying lately and I've had little less time because of work, some bad luck, and the upcoming holidays. (Though I did do a bit more last night)

It was ready to release on Thanksgiving (the new demo) but I am trying to see if I can improve a few things I wasn't quite as happy with and those are taking a bit more time.

The majority of the changes are under the hood, new level colouring code, 2 enemies on screen handler, etc. so I only have one extra level scheduled for this demo. It's meant for a quick stopgap to make sure with all the updated engine code it still works on all your systems. Then it'll be quicker to make the remaining levels/bosses without worrying about all the under engine things. :)

Sorry for the delay. ^^

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1