IGNORED

Atari jaguar replacement cd unit or iso loader

kristjanga

Once upon a time there was something call, IIRC, JagCF which would have been something along those lines. It was shown about a decade ago at a Euro Jag show, and there are/were pictures of it, but at this point I think it's safe to say it's vaporware. If it were ever going to be released, I think it would have been years ago. Besides that there is the Skunkboard, which can store a couple rom images at a time, but not ISO's, and even though some would like to think so, it doesn't replace a Jag CD in any way, shape or form...it has the potential with USB ports and internal hardware, but it's been around for years and very little has been done to take advantage of it's features. Bottom line is no, to the Jag CD replacement and I wouldn't hold your breath that anything ever will replace it; the community, I think, is too small to make new hardware viable beyond the Skunkboard. So don't hold your breath.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I still hold out hope for the JagCF or another CF or SD cart for the Jaguar. If a Lynx SD reader is viable, there is no reason that a Jaguar version isn't. There have now been 4 runs of the Skunkboard, so the demand is there.

An ISO loader might be a harder sell as there were only an estimated 25,000 or so Jaguar CDs ever made and I doubt that more than 1% are in the hands of active users. It would be cool though because the drives will only last for so long.

Once upon a time there was something call, IIRC, JagCF which would have been something along those lines. It was shown about a decade ago at a Euro Jag show, and there are/were pictures of it, but at this point I think it's safe to say it's vaporware

Vapourware? Despite the fact that it's been demo'd at nearly every single e-JagFest and there are actual videos of it running on youtube.

Will it ever be finished? Who knows? But it most certainly is not vapourware.

Que cries of 'if it'll never be finished then it's vapourware' which oddly are missing in several other threads here (and elsewhere) regarding stuff that gets egged on pointlessly like the 2nd coming of Jesus.

• Like 3

Vapourware? Despite the fact that it's been demo'd at nearly every single e-JagFest and there are actual videos of it running on youtube.

Will it ever be finished? Who knows? But it most certainly is not vapourware.

Que cries of 'if it'll never be finished then it's vapourware' which oddly are missing in several other threads here (and elsewhere) regarding stuff that gets egged on pointlessly like the 2nd coming of Jesus.

All I notice is you getting far to caught up in technicalities. vapourware or unreleased prototype(s), to me, the end user, it is all the same.
  • Like 1

All I notice is you getting far to caught up in technicalities. vapourware or unreleased prototype(s), to me, the end user, it is all the same.

You are dead right of course - it's technically correct to call JagCF vapourware. "Something that is announced, never manufactured or officially cancelled". I suppose that fits the bill. Often, though, there are negative connotations with the word and in this case that wouldn't be fair (not saying this is how you used it, only that it is often used and reads back that way). Some shadier outfits use vapourware as a tactic to piss off others, usually competitors, to keep potential customers dangling. That's probably why some people object to the use of the word, because it can mean different things.

JagCF was a bit of a stepping stone. From what I gathered, the person/people behind it just didn't like the opposition from certain quarters, the piracy/pitchforks kids and all their rabble rousing, FUD and clever spoiling tactics such as buying the domain name and pointing it to jaguar sector II etc... really putting the ARSE in jaguARSEctor as it were.

Funniest thing there, though, is that idiot has to keep reupping it and paying for domain privacy - nelsonhaha.gif

There's no need for us to be poking and prodding each other over semantics though, we should have tougher skin than that, and you meant no harm in the way you used the word, Gunstar. JagCF never came about, Vapourware it technically is, yet it could have quite easily made it out given a more pleasant, trusting and, frankly, less blinkered reception. But things were very different back then. While I'm here, I'll point out it wasn't demoed at ejagfest, but it was shown at multiple RGC events (these are easily confused if you've never been to them but have seen what goes on there - both have been equally important to a passionate and hyper-productive Euro Jaguar scene down the years). JagCF Vs1, 2 and 3 can be seen on SCPCD's site. It then made way for even more interesting things, the kinds of stuff certain individuals would talk and talk about doing but never lifted a finger to make happen, unlike SCPCD.

So mad props to that guy, the creator of Jagtopus, JagCF and all kinds of awesome tech that is ensuring Jaguar has a future beyond what Atari shoved out back in '93 and will likely keep me sat fiddling around making stuff for the rest of my years, even if it's only to an audience on me, myself and I :P

• Like 3

So mad props to that guy, the creator of Jagtopus, JagCF and all kinds of awesome tech that is ensuring Jaguar has a future beyond what Atari shoved out back in '93 and will likely keep me sat fiddling around making stuff for the rest of my years, even if it's only to an audience on me, myself and I :P

I plan on being around in any Jag community that exists until the day I die or am unable physically to the point of not being able to use my Jaguar. So I'll be happy to be your audience of at least one, until either of us are dead or whatever. Or, if my system breaks down and I can no longer get parts or replacements.