IGNORED

Retro games magazine

LianneJaguar64

Hi everyone!

So for a long time (literally years) I have had an interest in making an online free to download e-mag. I'll cut to the chase - who's interested in downloading and reading? I can put some pilot articles together if I gather enough interest... I know that Retro Gamer is an option, but other than that, what is there? Maybe it's me, but I far prefer reading a review that someone has written than watching a badly done or even a good YouTube video... What say you Jag fans?

• Like 2

Personally I prefer websites for their obvious benefits, mostly the fact that the website is continuously expanding rather than fragmented over several volumes. They can also be updated, corrected, expanded .etc.

If you're dead set on a magazine though, maybe some details might help people determine if it's something they'd read or not. What systems will it feature? The Jaguar perhaps :P

Edited by Willard

Personally I prefer websites for their obvious benefits, mostly the fact that the website is continuously expanding rather than fragmented over several volumes. They can also be updated, corrected, expanded .etc.

If you're dead set on a magazine though, maybe some details might help people determine if it's something they'd read or not. What systems will it feature? The Jaguar perhaps :P

It was just going to be dedicated to older games in general, although of course I plan on doing a Jagaur special! 'D I'm actually using the Jaguar as a "pilot", to see how good I actually am at this... Having taken and finished both Englishes at college, I hope I'm good! 'D

• 3 weeks later...

Retrogamer, although one of my favorite magazines was too expensive, and much of that content could be read online and elsewhere. Being full color, glossy, large format, and printed in the UK didn't help the cost, plus coming with a CD full of stuff you couldn't use was also a killer.

The magazine business is hard when you're getting paid, but free? Hell, even Popular Science is as thin as a comic book these days.

The Download of a PDF is what a lot of lower circulation magazines seem to be going to. Home Power and High Power Rocketry are two I used to get which come to mind.

Yeah, if the content is good, and I can download it and read it on a plane, then, sure, Go for it, but does the market need another one? RG is download now, isn't it?

Edited by Zonie

I'd rather have a hard-copy magazine that I don't need an on-line device to read or have to download and print out. I'm old school, but then aren't most of us who hang out on vintage computer&console forums? Do magazine racks even exist anymore? I can't remember the last time I saw one a supermarket or whatever. Are there still hard-copy gaming magazines to buy anymore? I know I've seen the trash rags like Inquirer at the grocery checkout and Time magazine, but are there any beyond that? I miss the days of buying or subscribing to hard-copy computer and video game rags...sure forums and gaming news sites and shows are great, and video magazines are cool, no more looking at tiny screen shots and wondering what the game is really like, but I still go back and flip through all my old Atari Analog and Antic mags, and old Die-hard Game fan console rags and stuff, it's fun to look at the old reviews and screen shots and ads...I'd be up for a Jag-rag that came in the snail-mail. Of course I'll still read it if it's just a download too...

Edited by Gunstar

Retrogamer, although one of my favorite magazines was too expensive, and much of that content could be read online and elsewhere. Being full color, glossy, large format, and printed in the UK didn't help the cost, plus coming with a CD full of stuff you couldn't use was also a killer.

The magazine business is hard when you're getting paid, but free? Hell, even Popular Science is as thin as a comic book these days.

The Download of a PDF is what a lot of lower circulation magazines seem to be going to. Home Power and High Power Rocketry are two I used to get which come to mind.

Yeah, if the content is good, and I can download it and read it on a plane, then, sure, Go for it, but does the market need another one? RG is download now, isn't it?

That was the plan, to make a PDF download. I'm putting together a pilot, essentially working out if I'm actually good at this or not 'D

I can tell you that I have probably over thirty or so different retro and other PDF "magazines" on my hard drive and I've read about three of them. On the other hand I purchased ever issue of the PRO© Atari physical magazine and read each cover to cover.

I would only be interested in a physical release.