IGNORED

.BIN Repository - Images for cartridges that require "burning" - (NO LONGER UPDATED OR SUPPORTED)

Omega-TI

If you get one, I think you'll like it, I know I do. The late great Gazoo turned me on to this burner, and I believe it was Ksarul that turned me on to the nice little hinged adapter for burning the 49F040's for the UberGROM board.

There is a link to one of my blog entries << HERE >> that has a few files that may be of interest to you once you get it, along with Gazoo's EASY TO FOLLOW directions for programming the 1284P.

Good Luck!

thank you all. sounds like a :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: on the purchase so I'll budget it for the next paycheck.

• 3 weeks later...

Pay a little more for the TL866A instead of the TL866CS it has the ability to do ICSP serial programming, though with a little work the TL866CS model can be converted.

Pay a little more for the TL866A instead of the TL866CS it has the ability to do ICSP serial programming, though with a little work the TL866CS model can be converted.

I picked up the TL866CS and it does not support a particular 32k chip of which I can get in abundance. I will have to look up how to do the conversion.

EDIT: Here, while it does not resolve my issue with the GI chips, it does fix the ICSP programming short-coming.

What particular 32K chip are you looking for?

Nothing in particular, just one or two which will work with my TL866CS. I have a couple of General Instruments 27256 (ID 0x29 0x04) which the software will not support. I have access to a bunch more, but if I cannot make these work then there is no sense in bothering with the others.

It is not critical, right now, though, as the FlashROM 99 supplants my needs at the moment.

A lot of the chips on the market are Chinese counterfeits. Although they may be labelled as "AMD", "TI", and are marketed as such, they are not. When the TL866 checks the chip ID, it won't verify and refuses to program correctly. i routinely uncheck the "Check ID" box and most of them will program just fine.

• Like 2

One note, that GI chip is a bit weird, as it is filled with "1" when it is blank, not with "0". It may not work with many of the other chip programming algorithms. . .

Yeah, I saw when you noted that. I was going to see if there is a way to tell the programmer about it being NMOS.

I wonder . .. Eprommers are really dumb devices. They only do what you tell them to do. If you didn't do a "Blank Check", and programmed a a file of the appropriate length consisting of nothing but "0", the finished product should look like a blank EPROM to the eprommer when you subsequently did a "Blank Check". If that works, you could program your real code over the "0". Might work!

I'm a little confused by the last few posts... you guys are saying "EPROM" but the behaviour discussed is contrary to an EPROM. EPROMs and Flash chips erase to "1" and you can only program a "0" bit. What am I missing here?

I got it to burn and verify using the settings for a Fairchild 27256, which was right within the spec range of the GI chips. It did not work when I put it on a 512k board (did not make it past the menu) but I suspect that is because the image I used is not of the proper banking type. At this point I can burn and erase all of the chips I have on-hand. Hooray!

• Like 1

There are actually only a couple of dozen algorithms (and variants) used to burn all of the EPROMs supported by the TL866. The same is true of most other eprommers. As long as you leave the "ID Check" block unchecked, you can burn any EPROM reasonably close to the one you have chosen. You can even burn a TMS2532 with the proper adapter.

There are actually only a couple of dozen algorithms (and variants) used to burn all of the EPROMs supported by the TL866. The same is true of most other eprommers. As long as you leave the "ID Check" block unchecked, you can burn any EPROM reasonably close to the one you have chosen. You can even burn a TMS2532 with the proper adapter.

Now if my Mechatronics eprommer could be so versatile, when I get it going again...sigh :ponder:

Okay, so I tried burning the AtariSoft collection and Rasmus 8-in-1 to a 27C040, but from what I understand now the black board cannot support the full 512k, only four banks of 128k, correct? That being the case, I need a red board?

Are the red boards still available?

I still have lots of the Red boards (and with all of the cartridge boards, when I run out, I order more, as I want to make sure they remain available for as long as people need them).

I have both assembled and bare boards in stock, as does Arcadeshopper. . .and you are correct with your statements on the Black boards. Normally, I don't install the switches on them to allow using the other three 128K bank zones, so they are technically 128K boards as delivered. All that is missing is the pair of toggle switches though, so it is relatively easy to add that capability. A similar mod is built into the Red boards to allow them to work with 32-pin 1024K chips (divided into two switched 512K banking zones).

Edited by Ksarul

I can recommend using Winbond W29C040 chips with the red boards. They take about 25 seconds to program with a 512K image and can be programmed over and over again. I have installed a test socket on a red board so I can easily move the chip between my programmer and the cart without bending the pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-IC-W29C040-90-W29C040-90B-W29C040-90Z-WINBOND-NEW-GOOG-QUALITY-/291550093318?hash=item43e1bd6006

I can recommend using Winbond W29C040 chips with the red boards. They take about 25 seconds to program with a 512K image and can be programmed over and over again. I have installed a test socket on a red board so I can easily move the chip between my programmer and the cart without bending the pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-IC-W29C040-90-W29C040-90B-W29C040-90Z-WINBOND-NEW-GOOG-QUALITY-/291550093318?hash=item43e1bd6006

Oooohhh nice, muchas!

You might also want to consider the Blue boards... sml_gallery_35324_1001_104292.jpg in the future.

For the RAM portion they use the 49F040's which are also 512K re-programmable EEPROMS, but with a style of connection that seems more durable than standard IC's. They can be obtained in quantity cheaply enough that it might pay you to go with this type of board. You'll also have the added flexibility of being able to use GROM based images by plugging in a 1284P.. more bang for the buck! :)

I might consider the blue board, later. If the EEPROM can be programmed on the board (natively from the TI) then I could use that instead of the SuperSpace II for development. For now a red board with a ZIF will allow me to move EPROMs in and out while I play around, and the FlashROM 99 allows me to go from assembly to cartridge in less than 60 seconds. As I have no interest in GROM-based anything, that is not a compelling feature for me.