IGNORED

Coleco Book Mock up cover

editionsbooqc

One possibility would be to fuse the top left image (the one with the half-circle) on this page with the newer one with the black background.

E.g.) Take the template from the one with the half-circle, drop the wood-grain background and set the background to black, replace the text under the Coleco logo with "The Complete History" from the new one, and sub-out the photo of the turtle pool with something else. The ColecoVision in front of the spectrum of letters looks great.

I feel like the cover of this book should have been a no-brainer from someone who has passion for the subject matter. The fact that it's taking this long to really figure out what the cover should include is honestly making me worried about the book overall. Is there anyone here on these forums that is good with photoshop that could try to mock something up to help these guys out? I have to think there would be quite a bit of passion within this group to take the cover and knock it out of the park. I get that this is just a "mock up" and the real version will be done by a professional, but nothing I've seen in any of these mock ups is hitting home with me, sorry.

I understand your point, and even though I'm always passionate by what I'm doing, I'm not an expert in graphic design. My thing is writing and telling awesome stories like the one of Coleco. The first three chapters are done for example.

Anyway what would strike you and make you buy the book? Key elements? Only the logo? A more sophisticated subtitle? Just let me know, it can only help us and our amazing project!

• Like 1

I understand your point, and even though I'm always passionate by what I'm doing, I'm not an expert in graphic design. My thing is writing and telling awesome stories like the one of Coleco. The first three chapters are done for example.

Anyway what would strike you and make you buy the book? Key elements? Only the logo? A more sophisticated subtitle? Just let me know, it can only help us and our amazing project!

I hear you and don't take my comments as too much of a negative, but I do think you might need some help with the cover and I'd have to think that some of the super talented people here on the forum might be able to lend a hand. While one should not "judge a book by it's cover" that will be the thing people see first and will make people decide if they are going to click or read further on in the Kickstarter.

Personally, I think the cover needs to really nail it, and I haven't seen anything close so far. Unfortunately, I'm not a graphic designer either.

No worries, I learned to take critics for what they are and especially on that forum, I found constructive criticism that helped me go on the right way.

So like TPR said, if any of you want to graciously help us out having an awesome cover, I'd be more than happy to let you express your creativity for this project!

If you take the exemple of the Book about the Commodore Story : Commodore on the Edge.

If you look at the covers of 2 editions of that book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbHmToZmM40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6_l0MDUSw

it does not really reflect that there is inside. Because you see just a part of C64. ... but the book actually reserve just a very tiny part about the C64 story.

I think these books sold very well. ( i have the first edition, and i find it is really a great book).

So may a neat cover with a Doll holding a Colecovision Joystick. And the coleco logo on the top.

But again, i think the first "special edition" proposition is very good in fact.

Clear recognizable logo

Electronic Game and Toy in the background of the picture.

and Coleco Management guys

In addtion the picture looks "old" that enforce the idea of an History book.

For me the cover is very appealing.

I feel like the cover of this book should have been a no-brainer from someone who has passion for the subject matter. The fact that it's taking this long to really figure out what the cover should include is honestly making me worried about the book overall. Is there anyone here on these forums that is good with photoshop that could try to mock something up to help these guys out? I have to think there would be quite a bit of passion within this group to take the cover and knock it out of the park. I get that this is just a "mock up" and the real version will be done by a professional, but nothing I've seen in any of these mock ups is hitting home with me, sorry.

I have about three good ideas but, and I do this for a living. Not to sound greedy, but I'd like to get paid or something in exchange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Kamshaft

I have about three good ideas but, and I do this for a living. Not to sound greedy, but I'd like to get paid or something in exchange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. The layouts shown so far are ones that anyone could attain with some effort. They are decent, but getting a professional on board would (or should) take the cover to the next level. It's probably worth it, as long as what's inside is given the same professional consideration (both in words and pictures).

• Like 2

This is one of the things I saw in my head:

Lots to fiddle with, like whether the numbers should appear over the image of each button. should the controller be bigger so that it goes behind the main logo (and consequently making the toy and building images bigger) add the 3 people from the first mockup, make the angle of the controller and the text on the yellow burst the exact same angle, etc.

But those are the kind of things a professional can do quicker and better than me...

[Click to enlarge]

post-38229-0-84228600-1445542034_thumb.png

Thumbnail size similar to Amazon's

post-38229-0-93875100-1445542035.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input!

Following Bill's advice, I think we're really getting somewhere. About the logo, I'm in the process of obtaining the rights so no worries.

As usual let me know what you think.

I think you nailed it.