IGNORED

Star Raiders Source Code to be released?

Knimrod

Exactly. Space viewed through the windows is blue due to the energy field produced by the shield emitters. Duh.

The reason why I prefer to see the black background in Star Raiders while playing - is that for me, it keeps the illusion of travelling in space alive - I would enjoy being in that illusion. And I prefer a clear view to have a good view.

Whereas from the technology viewpoint - you'd want a shield present in such a space battle - and would make logical sense you'll be seeing through the protective shield as such. But with even more advanced technology - it would be possible for an invisible shield to be present - so back to the black background.

It would be nice to be able to choose your option - like in Stratos - you can can change the background colour, as well as the city colours, and the sound pitch, by pressing the appropriate keys on the title screen.

Harvey

Dear Bob!

What a Happy New Year! Thank you and Aric so much!!!!!!!!! :-))))

If you can do the same with OSS BASIC XE source, as you have done with XL, you really would make our year in January!

I am in contact with Bill Wilkinson's son, would be so cool! :-)))

Mega-thanks in the name of the community. :-))))

• Like 1

It's thrilling to see the huge amount of responses the re-surfaced STAR RAIDERS source code generated!

During the last years, as a hobby afterhours project, I reverse-engineered a complete, extensively documented assembly language source code of STAR RAIDERS directly from the binary file of the ROM cartridge. It is available on GitHub (http://github.com/lwiest/StarRaiders).

IMHO, the extensive documentation of my reverse-engineered version seems to complement the original source code quite nicely, making it useful for you if you are curious about the internals of STAR RAIDERS or if you plan to make your own, modified versions.

Enjoy! -- Lorenz

• Like 6

It's thrilling to see the huge amount of responses the re-surfaced STAR RAIDERS source code generated!

During the last years, as a hobby afterhours project, I reverse-engineered a complete, extensively documented assembly language source code of STAR RAIDERS directly from the binary file of the ROM cartridge. It is available on GitHub (http://github.com/lwiest/StarRaiders).

IMHO, the extensive documentation of my reverse-engineered version seems to complement the original source code quite nicely, making it useful for you if you are curious about the internals of STAR RAIDERS or if you plan to make your own, modified versions.

Enjoy! -- Lorenz

All I have to say is !WOW! that is more than a reverse engineering, that is a thing of beauty!

Your source code should be released as a textbook on how to properly document code! Unbelievably impressive. I can't say that I have ever seen code, in any language, as well-documented, and as precisely formatted. This work of yours should be a semester long class in how to properly prepare a technical document! I am utterly astonished, to the point of being completely flabbergasted, at the great pains that you took to achieve this... this... piece of art. If you aren't working for NASA, you darn-right should be!

Thank you for all of your efforts! I will always keep this code and use it to show people what a properly documented piece of software should look like.

• Like 4

Lorenz!

That is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will put it in the Wiki. Tera-Thanks to you. If there is ever an assembly source code, it dam should look like yours. That is a milestone!

All Atari languages in this highest quality and I would be wishless lucky. All Christmas events can be skiped then.

Thank you so much in the name of the community!

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Star%20Raiders

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Star%20Raiders%20source%20code%20by%20Lorenz%20Wiest

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

post-32599-0-10221800-1453560671.gif

post-32599-0-62308900-1453560690.gifpost-32599-0-62308900-1453560690.gifpost-32599-0-62308900-1453560690.gifpost-32599-0-62308900-1453560690.gifpost-32599-0-62308900-1453560690.gif

post-32599-0-83556900-1453560679.gif

post-32599-0-00144600-1453560788_thumb.gif

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1

Enjoy! -- Lorenz

Excellent piece of work there! Thanks for sharing.

• 1 year later...

Just load the object file

Edit: The one in the .zip you mentioned. Simple.

Edit:Edit: I was gonna let this go a while to see what happens, but I decided to have mercy. Simply rename the .obx file to .com, .exe, .xex or whatever extension your loader likes.

:)

Edited by Kyle22

This is so amazingly impressive - and very useful to me, as I've been working on an iOS homage to Star Raiders called "Zylon Defenders" and this will prove invaluable in emulating the swarming behavior of Zylon fighters.

We're going into alpha testing later this month - let me know if anyone here would be interested in testing. Requires a reasonably recent iOS device; iPad or iPhone.

Thanks again, Lorenz!

post-12831-0-75189600-1492640346_thumb.png

post-12831-0-35506700-1492640337_thumb.png

post-12831-0-36274800-1492640329_thumb.png

• Like 3

This is so amazingly impressive - and very useful to me, as I've been working on an iOS homage to Star Raiders called "Zylon Defenders" and this will prove invaluable in emulating the swarming behavior of Zylon fighters.

We're going into alpha testing later this month - let me know if anyone here would be interested in testing. Requires a reasonably recent iOS device; iPad or iPhone.

Thanks again, Lorenz!

attachicon.gifIMG_2928.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_2926.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_2927.PNG

Sure, I'd love to test. (iPhone 6+).

• 1 month later...