IGNORED

Star Raiders Source Code to be released?

Knimrod

I know it's been a while, but here's a glimpse of where I currently am in Zylon Defenders - my unofficial homage to our favorite early 80's 3D space combat game. attachicon.gifZylon_defenders_systems_check.mov

Looks great....

I miss the Pokey sound of the photons however. But, I like the voice over telling you what sector you entered.

• Like 2

Looks great....

I miss the Pokey sound of the photons however. But, I like the voice over telling you what sector you entered.

I'm not married to the current sounds - it's easy to swap them out. Maybe I'll try a variant on the Pokey torpedoes and see how it feels.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In the interest of obtaining a better transcription, I took the latest version at https://github.com/XioNYC/StarRaiders, and used a perl script, the MADS assembler, and the rom data to catch the majority of the transcription errors outside of the comments. Attached as a gift to the community.

starr1.zip

• Like 8

Thank you so much Atari_Ace, you really do great contributions to the community. Do you mind, if insert #230 in the AtariWiki with credits to you? Same goes for WSFN?

I don't mind. Most of the work for Star Raiders was done by others anyways, I just tidied it up.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks,

A long-overdue update - Zylon Defenders, my iOS homage to Star Raiders played from the perspective of the zyoons is moving along nicely. I'm planning to release in March, to coincide with the release of "Ready Player One." Here's an updated video of the game engine.

I'm still looking for beta testers as I move closer to release. A few folks here asked to be included, but have not downloaded the game since the first beta was released last week.

If you are interested and have an iOS device for testing, PM me with your email to be added to the list - though be aware that currently, it's running best on recent iPhones and iPads (i.e. iPhone 6 and above). I'll do more performance optimization as I get closer to launch, and widen the pool of testers with older hardware then.

zylon_defenders_small.mov

• 1 year later...

Hey folks,

A long-overdue update - Zylon Defenders, my iOS homage to Star Raiders played from the perspective of the zyoons is moving along nicely. I'm planning to release in March, to coincide with the release of "Ready Player One." Here's an updated video of the game engine.

I'm still looking for beta testers as I move closer to release. A few folks here asked to be included, but have not downloaded the game since the first beta was released last week.

If you are interested and have an iOS device for testing, PM me with your email to be added to the list - though be aware that currently, it's running best on recent iPhones and iPads (i.e. iPhone 6 and above). I'll do more performance optimization as I get closer to launch, and widen the pool of testers with older hardware then.

did this happen?

HI,

Just noticed this thread got bumped... sorry didn't realize I posted the wrong document at the time, I'm sure by now someone typed in everything, but here is the MAC file along with every other file in the Star Raiders recovery from the mainframe restores anyway...

Curt, do you have details on the cross assembler that atari used? It's referred to as 'Atari CAMAC' in the file, was that an in house creation by atari, or was it a third party tool that they used? I was curious (if it was an atari in house thing) if you had a copy of the assembler itself, and knew what it ran on? I think it'd be interesting to setup an emulator of the DEC mini's that atari was using, and reproduce the compilation techniques that atari originally used.

EDIT: guess CAMAC was for a DG system instead, regardless I'm willing to learn to set it all up to get the 'real atari experience,' at least in emulation, if you can find a copy of the program.

RAIDERS.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There was actually a really good Star Raiders clone on IOS quite a few years back called "Star Rangers", I'm pretty sure Tom Hudson had some involvement.

It played a lot like the original game, galactic map and all, and there was talk of incoming multiplayer additions.

Sadly, the project just seemed to drop dead, and with Apple updating their system, it was no longer playable.

Anybody out there know what happened to this game?

Here's a video of the gameplay.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGFP73oaR4

On a side note: imagic's dos version of Star Rangers was also fantastic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQUjlkHev3M&t=68s

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, Lord Thag said:

I was also beta testing for him, the app and the game went dark awhile ago.

It's been a long time, I know - got buried in actual work -  but all beta testers should have received updates this week. Ping me with your email if you need me to re-invite you. 

And anyone new who wants to join, by all means, please do. Screen shot of latest version attached. 

IMG_5CF88459D650-1.jpeg

Edited by clanky

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/1/2015 at 10:42 AM, phaeron said:

StarRaiders-FastDiv3.zip 125.21 kB · 612 downloads

I discovered that if I mads (2.1.5) "StarRaiders-v7.s" from the archive, I got a 2 bytes smaller obx than the one in the archive. Is that known?

@glurk do you also encountered this when creating your 1.1?

(I could dig deeper but like to save that time... 😁)