IGNORED

Trying to fix a squealing Adam tape drive

goldenegg

It's been about 2 years since I last used my Adam and the tape drive now lets out a pretty good squeal at times during loading. Based on a YouTube video I found, I opened the drive to look at the 'encoder wheel' (I think it's actually called a pinch roller). It was absolutely pristine, so that's not the issue.

I believe the squeal only happens when the drive runs the tape in reverse, but I'm not 100% sure about that yet. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the motor and I'm considering spraying some WD-40 where the tape is wound, but I want to be careful with that as I don't want to get any where it could come in contact with tape.

Any ideas here? I'd rather not buy another tape drive if I don't need to, as I believe they can be fairly pricey.

It's been about 2 years since I last used my Adam and the tape drive now lets out a pretty good squeal at times during loading. Based on a YouTube video I found, I opened the drive to look at the 'encoder wheel' (I think it's actually called a pinch roller). It was absolutely pristine, so that's not the issue.

I believe the squeal only happens when the drive runs the tape in reverse, but I'm not 100% sure about that yet. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the motor and I'm considering spraying some WD-40 where the tape is wound, but I want to be careful with that as I don't want to get any where it could come in contact with tape.

Any ideas here? I'd rather not buy another tape drive if I don't need to, as I believe they can be fairly pricey. It can be the data pack. Sometimes it is the motor and the only way to silence the squeal is to replace the motor - not a terribly difficult job; less than replacing the tire and encoding wheel. It will not hurt anything but your ears.

It can be either the data pack or the motor. Usually I have found it is the data pack, especially if the data pack is homemade or aftermarket - not Loran. The motor, on the other hand, is easy to replace and they are plentiful from non operating data drives.

I didn't even consider the tape as the culprit. I've just been using a Buck Rogers tape. I have others as well, so I'll give them a try tonight.

If it's the tape, is there anything that can be done to fix it? Is it a sign that the tape is potentially going to break?

I tried other tapes and they all have the same problem. I guess it's the motor then. I took a video of the system loading SmartBasic.

If it is the motor, what's involved with swapping it out?

It is a fairly easy fix. You said you took the drive apart and looked at the timing wheel and encoder. This is easier; carefully take the door off (some have screws & a block; others simply pul lthe wings and take off) then take out the 3 tiny screws holding the motor on.; next take the drive apart to the point of seeing the motors and the wiring from them to the circuit boards; the motors will be loose at this time. Replace the old motor(s) with a different motor and put back together. The squeal won't hurt anything except your ears, it is probably just the motor shaft spinning in the brass bushing bearing of the motor. You could take the easy way out and gingerly put a drop of "3 in1" oil on the motor shaft - only 1 motor at a time and test to see if the problem goes away; or at least isolates the noisy motor.

Thanks. Am I correct in assuming I'll need to solder the wires to the new motor once I have it installed?

Also, do you know where I might be able to source the motors?

You assume correctly. You could either solder the wires at the board level OR cut the wires and solder the new motor wire onto the original wire and tape; both ways work. I have many motors in bad drives, but no guarantees on quality or previous hours of use. They can be tested, but still no guarantee.

In my experiences with the ADAM, I have found that Sony HF60 audio cassettes converted to ADAM digital data packs are considerably more quite than Coleco/Loran DDPs when used in a Digital Data Drive that runs loud due to the motor especially in high speed reverse and forward seeks. Back then, people used all types of audio cassettes, but eventually the Sony brand was found to be the best to use... even by Syd Carter and Ed Jenkins.

I have a couple spare in my office if you need any parts let me know... (these I can actually find unlike the damn cart inputs I promised greenrabbit1984 and still haven't located @$#!@#$). BTW: I get that squeak as well, but it only happens on some of the tapes I put in.

Thanks a lot for the offer. I don't have time to mess with it much more right now, but I'll likely be in touch for a couple motors.

I might also look for another drive, as I only have 1 at the moment and it can't hurt to install a second.

The drive seems to have developed another problem. It will no longer load anything from tape. Instead, it just endlessly does what sounds like some kind of seek, where it very quickly changes direction of the motor forward and back. I've left it alone to try and load Buck Rogers, but nothing ever loads.

It was working great last night, so I don't know what could have changed since then.

EDIT:

I'm starting to wonder if I might have reconnected the cables to the 'encoder wheel' incorrectly. Can anyone confirm the correct wiring for the connector on the wheel?

Edited by goldenegg

The drive seems to have developed another problem. It will no longer load anything from tape. Instead, it just endlessly does what sounds like some kind of seek, where it very quickly changes direction of the motor forward and back. I've left it alone to try and load Buck Rogers, but nothing ever loads.

It was working great last night, so I don't know what could have changed since then.

EDIT:

I'm starting to wonder if I might have reconnected the cables to the 'encoder wheel' incorrectly. Can anyone confirm the correct wiring for the connector on the wheel?

My very well be "dirty". As you use data packs, they "shed" magnetic particles and must be cleaned. Denatured alcohol and a clean cloth do the trick. Put the cloth around your finger, dip it in the alcohol and then rub the read/write head clean, being careful to not get it on the rubber wheel to the right. Might not hurt the wheel, but why take the chance. Let the rea'write head dry and then try it again.

I just cleaned it and have the same issue.

It only happens when the tape starts at a certain spot. If I manually wind the tape to the front, it loads. If the encoder wheel allows the drive to know which direction the tape is moving and how fast, I'd imagine that incorrect wiring could cause tracking problems. When I disassembled the drive the last time, I removed the two cable ends from the encoder wheel without first noticing they were separate pieces. I also didn't note the original orientation, so I put them back the way I thought I saw them. It's very likely I have them connected wrong, especially since there are 8 ways the cables could possibly be connected.