IGNORED

European power for US console?

ralphb

Does anyone have any long-term experience with running a US TI 99/4A with a European power supply? Looking at the power bricks they supply slightly different voltages, but this thread deems it as safe. That was in 2010, though, so maybe there are new insights by now.

My model that arrived in the mail today also has only two power pins in the socket -- does this make my machine a QI model? And if so, is it still safe to use a European power supply? (I do have a step converter, but I think it's a pain to use that.)

I also noticed that I need to do the composite video mod to get a picture. While most European TVs handle NTSC nicely I simply have no clue how to connect those flimsy appendages that come out of the modulator. :)

One thing to make sure of: your European power supply needs to be the version that outputs AC. Some early 99/4 power supplies output DC, and they won't work here (unless you're using them with an early release 99/4--as the later 99/4s used the same power supplies as the /4A).

I also noticed that I need to do the composite video mod to get a picture. While most European TVs handle NTSC nicely I simply have no clue how to connect those flimsy appendages that come out of the modulator. :)

a video mod would be cool, but I would prefer to go to scart-output. was the best solution for me.

but Composite, at least, is much better then PAL/NTSC.

btw the US-machine shoud run at least with any 5pin-modulator on an old TV-screen/Antenna-in,

but this would be a big part of the real vintage experience :)

For the power, I had no problems on firing US-consoles with EU-power here for around one year now.

But one more interesting question for me:

i.e., If I run a TI on 220 Volts (no matter if US- or EU-console, just 220 V),

and if I connect it to a PEB which is running on 110V (by converter), do you expect any issues here ?

Isn´t there any problem like 50/60 Hertz differs inbetween the machines ?

(at the point where the flexcard plugs into the console?)

No "differences" in grounding (green/yellow cable) ?

RMSAAED

I've done that too, Schmitzi--for as long as ten years at a time. I never had any problems. The Hz is derived from the frequency of the incoming power, so unless you are using an Uninterruptible Power Supply that drops the voltage to 117V and conditions the input frequency to 60 Hz, no matter what the input levels are--you should have no issues there.

• Like 1