IGNORED

Your favorite Castlevania game in the series?

Favorite Castlevania game?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which Castlevania game in the series is your favorite to play?

• Castlevania
    • Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
    • Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
    • Super Castlevania 4
    • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
    • Castlevania Bloodlines
    • Castlevania: Dracula X
    • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I know that there's no Maria, but I didn't realize (or didn't play far enough in the SNES version to see) that level designs had changed. I played through the first stage with the ROM and my Everdrive and turned it off since it felt like the exact same thing. I'm still pretty impressed by the music, though. :D

It's a totally different game. Different stages.

The summer between 7th and 8th grade, our house burned down and took with it my Atari 2600 and games (and my River Raid patch!). We lived with my grandmother for the rest of that summer and the next school year. My birthday is in October, and that first birthday after the fire, my sister gave me an NES, with SMB/Duck Hunt, 1943, Metal Gear, and Castlevania. (She must've been rollin' in dough back then... still my best birthday gift ever.) Anyway, out of all the games that I got, I loved Castlevania the most and most of my memories of playing it involve me sitting on my grandmother's green shag carpet in her front room. There's a lot of nostalgia in there, of course. Those were not the best of times, but the NES and Castlevania helped. Between 8th and 9th grade, my mom and step-dad moved to Michigan, and I stayed in Texas with my dad and step-mom. I finally beat Castlevania when I was in high school, living with my dad. It wasn't long after that, I sold all my NES stuff because I had gotten a TurboGrafx and the NES was "old". I was young and foolish. I have an NES again, as well as another copy of Castlevania, but I still haven't beaten it again. Maybe one day...

• Like 1

Every 100 years Dracula's castle reappears. Every 3 years this topic shall raise from it's grave and remind us how great the series is. See you guys in 2011.

Either you meant 2021, or the joke went over my head. :)

I was playing some Symphony of the Night last night for the first time in years. Controlling Richter Belmont in the beginning, I noticed that he can not use his whip in 8 directions like Simon in Super Castlevania IV can. So was that the only have to have ever used the 8-directional whip? I haven't played any handheld Castlevania's (besides that original Game Boy version), but I've never seen it used elsewhere.

"Rondo of Blood" is by far the best of the straight 'action-adventure' of the line-up, while "Symphony of the Night" takes the 'Metroidvania' crown (By default), from this poll, in my opinion.

Having owned and still own the SNES and Genesis games, as well as played them through, Rondo buries Super Castlevania IV, Dracula X, and Bloodlines. The latter are very good games but Rondo is on a whole other level. While having admirable respect and good times playing through the first three titles from the NES in my collection - including the red-headed stepchild that is Simon's Quest, they are not even contenders against Rondo, but of course are great classic NES games.

I was playing some Symphony of the Night last night for the first time in years. Controlling Richter Belmont in the beginning, I noticed that he can not use his whip in 8 directions like Simon in Super Castlevania IV can. So was that the only have to have ever used the 8-directional whip? I haven't played any handheld Castlevania's (besides that original Game Boy version), but I've never seen it used elsewhere.

Yes it was a unique feature that seemed to be received well, but they didn't do more games like that one after other than Dracula X and XX that were unique games (well XX is a 'gaiden' of X.) After Dracula X you got on consoles a run into the SOTN style and the remakes (Castlevania Chronicles) of earlier games or more in that now very well overplayed out SOTN style. It was a great idea and worked exceptionally well, but outside of weapons in the SOTN stuff that don't just fire off straight ahead, it vanished basically.

"Rondo of Blood" is by far the best of the straight 'action-adventure' of the line-up, while "Symphony of the Night" takes the 'Metroidvania' crown (By default), from this poll, in my opinion.

Having owned and still own the SNES and Genesis games, as well as played them through, Rondo buries Super Castlevania IV, Dracula X, and Bloodlines. The latter are very good games but Rondo is on a whole other level. While having admirable respect and good times playing through the first three titles from the NES in my collection - including the red-headed stepchild that is Simon's Quest, they are not even contenders against Rondo, but of course are great classic NES games.

I can't agree. The loss of the 8-directional whip was a major blow. The music, while good, also didn't seem to "fit" the Castlevania theme (and why does Richter look like Ryu?). IV just had absolutely perfect tunes, that represented every stage masterfully. The level design too was just flawless. I'll give you that it was harder though, from what I remember.

• Like 1

I'd have to agree, but there are just some people who are just going to blindly run into the Rondo argument and not be swayed by it's step backwards because they like the rest of the package in some ways better. It's the same with the masses who cut their teeth on or prefer SOTN because the old style is too linear and rigid to so called be much fun too. Super Castlevania for all it was pretty much was the high point in cartridge castlevania classic play style stage, audio, visual, and control style. Both Drac X and XX were a step back, other than maybe the audio on the CD title.

• Like 1

I can't agree. The loss of the 8-directional whip was a major blow. The music, while good, also didn't seem to "fit" the Castlevania theme (and why does Richter look like Ryu?). IV just had absolutely perfect tunes, that represented every stage masterfully. The level design too was just flawless. I'll give you that it was harder though, from what I remember.

8-directional whip was not even needed in a game as easy as IV. It's not a matter of Rondo being harder, rather Castlevania IV is too easy compared to the others in the 'action' lineup. Heck, skeletons will actually walk right onto your whip under IV, something that does not even occur in III under the NES. Further along those lines, gameplay balance is much better in Rondo, and diverging/alternate paths ups the ante for both first time players as well as its replay value. That's without even considering Maria as an alternate playable character under Rondo.

Music is a very subjective item, but the flat MIDI organ music of IV cannot hold a candle to Rondo's Red Book, in my opinion. Couple that with the cut-scenes and it places the game far ahead in overall presentation. Level designs of IV are very good - wouldn't consider them "flawless" though, and Rondo's are equally as good (Again, not "flawless"), if not arguably better.

Additionally, there's no 'downgrade, have to upgrade the whip again' nonsense when a life is lost, and the item crash feature brings exceptional value and motivation to a player acquiring hearts. Extra bonus under Rondo for being able to pick back up a secondary item dropped and not being forced to use one you accidentally picked up; another thing lacking under IV.

While Castlevania IV is the (much) better game between it and Dracula X under the SNES, it falls short of Rondo overall due to the aforementioned. Castlevania IV and Bloodlines, I place on an equal plane. Again, great titles in their own right, but neither meet the grandness of Rondo.

It's a shame, I really wanted to see better under the SNES. CV IV was out by Fall of '91. Two years later in Fall of '93, Rondo hits, and it is overall a beautiful upgrade and improvement. Bloodlines drops on the Genesis in Spring of '94, and is at least as good as IV under the SNES. By the time Summer of '95 rolled around, I was hoping SNES Dracula X would be the creme de la creme of Castlevanias, but it wound up being the worst of the era.

8-directional whip was not even needed in a game as easy as IV. It's not a matter of Rondo being harder, rather Castlevania IV is too easy compared to the others in the 'action' lineup. Heck, skeletons will actually walk right onto your whip under IV, something that does not even occur in III under the NES. Further along those lines, gameplay balance is much better in Rondo, and diverging/alternate paths ups the ante for both first time players as well as its replay value. That's without even considering Maria as an alternate playable character under Rondo.

Music is a very subjective item, but the flat MIDI organ music of IV cannot hold a candle to Rondo's Red Book, in my opinion. Couple that with the cut-scenes and it places the game far ahead in overall presentation. Level designs of IV are very good - wouldn't consider them "flawless" though, and Rondo's are equally as good (Again, not "flawless"), if not arguably better.

Additionally, there's no 'downgrade, have to upgrade the whip again' nonsense when a life is lost, and the item crash feature brings exceptional value and motivation to a player acquiring hearts. Extra bonus under Rondo for being able to pick back up a secondary item dropped and not being forced to use one you accidentally picked up; another thing lacking under IV.

While Castlevania IV is the (much) better game between it and Dracula X under the SNES, it falls short of Rondo overall due to the aforementioned. Castlevania IV and Bloodlines, I place on an equal plane. Again, great titles in their own right, but neither meet the grandness of Rondo.

It's a shame, I really wanted to see better under the SNES. CV IV was out by Fall of '91. Two years later in Fall of '93, Rondo hits, and it is overall a beautiful upgrade and improvement. Bloodlines drops on the Genesis in Spring of '94, and is at least as good as IV under the SNES. By the time Summer of '95 rolled around, I was hoping SNES Dracula X would be the creme de la creme of Castlevanias, but it wound up being the worst of the era.

Ahh, where do I start...The 8-directional whip may not have been needed to beat IV, but that's not entirely relevant. I enjoy it to the point where I love it. I wish someone could reprogram the other 2D games to incorporate it, because it's so much fun to be able to whip in all directions. I love whipping enemies above and below me, diagonally, and just dangling it around. How is losing your whip and having to update again a downgrade? It takes 2 seconds to get the second power up. It's what the original CV had, and what CV is supposed to be.

IV is not THAT easy, it's easier that most (I can't count the handheld CV games, I've only played one on the original GB). Some levels require some careful thinking, as well as some of the later bosses. I actually prefer that it doesn't have alternate paths.

Sound is a complicated matter. While the SNES has a very nice sound chip for its time, there is no way it can compete with CD quality sound that Rondo has. However, when it comes to just tunes, IV wins by a mile. It's one of the greatest collection of tunes ever heard in a game. Rondo's music sounds like it belongs in another genre of games. Cut scenes would have been nice, but there's only so much a 1991 cart can do, compared to a CD-ROM.

Secondary items are cool to have, I'll give you that it would be nice to have two. Personally though, all I ever want is the cross and ax. The sword is useless. Oh yeah, and I like using the SNES' "R" button to utilize it. Can't to that on a PC Engine controller.

Bloodlines is equal to IV? Now you went over the top lol, they aren't even close. Bloodlines not a great game. Rondo is much better.

Angry Video Game Nerd's James & Mike Mondays actually reviewed all three in marathons. Very fun videos, check them out.

My fav was Aria of Sorrow on the GBA, was a real nice game on that portable hardware.

I’m really missing out by not having played nearly all of the handheld CV games, I’ll have to check them out one day. The only one I remember playing was the original Game Boy one, like 28 years ago.

• Like 1

I'll continue to argue for the superiority of Castlevania III over Rondo of Blood.

The core gameplay mechanics are extremely similar, but CVIII simply offers more stages, more characters, more challenge. Rondo's excellent, but I think it's a close second.

I'm also bitter at Rondo for being the first PC-Engine game I ever played, and then assumed the rest of the titles on that platform would have similar graphic and music quality. Nope.

Rocky 3 was cool because it had Mr. T, the Rocky character was more completely developed, and Stallone had become ripped by that time.

Final Fantasy 10 was amazing because the graphics, sound, and genre had been polished and enhanced to the point of near perfection.

Rambo III was superior to First Blood in both special effects and cinematography.

But..... does that make these sequels better than their predecessors? Sure they're more polished, but are they better?

I guess it's a question of how you judge quality. For me, I like to go back and experience the genesis of genres and/or game franchises. Sometimes I find that the original foundational games have a "purpose" to them that gets lost in later follow-ups. Sure graphics may improve, sound, etc.... But is the soul of the game lost in translation?

Rocky, nothing beats #1. Rambo, nothing beats First Blood... Final Fantasy? Well.... I feel like the true nature of the series took form and shape in FF3 (not released in America) and in FF4 (known as FF2 in America). #1 is great.... but the series really fleshed out and became what it would become in FFIV.

The question is: Is Castlevania a game with a bunch of increasingly impressive sequels? Or is it something else? A breathing franchise with roots in the 1980s?

An interesting debate, indeed.

Rocky 3 was cool because it had Mr. T, the Rocky character was more completely developed, and Stallone had become ripped by that time.

Final Fantasy 10 was amazing because the graphics, sound, and genre had been polished and enhanced to the point of near perfection.

Rambo III was superior to First Blood in both special effects and cinematography.

But..... does that make these sequels better than their predecessors? Sure they're more polished, but are they better?

I guess it's a question of how you judge quality. For me, I like to go back and experience the genesis of genres and/or game franchises. Sometimes I find that the original foundational games have a "purpose" to them that gets lost in later follow-ups. Sure graphics may improve, sound, etc.... But is the soul of the game lost in translation?

Rocky, nothing beats #1. Rambo, nothing beats First Blood... Final Fantasy? Well.... I feel like the true nature of the series took form and shape in FF3 (not released in America) and in FF4 (known as FF2 in America). #1 is great.... but the series really fleshed out and became what it would become in FFIV.

The question is: Is Castlevania a game with a bunch of increasingly impressive sequels? Or is it something else? A breathing franchise with roots in the 1980s?

An interesting debate, indeed.

I'm glad you didn't reference the Terminator movies, because nothing beats T2! :D