IGNORED

Lynx Lounge

btbfilms76

I like Gates of Zendocon, nice graphics and music. I don't like the momentum the ship has though, such as if you hold the up button, your ship will move up but not at a steady rate, instead it will accelerate. Not game breaking for me, but it makes it pretty easy to run into things and die.

I recommend you look at Zarlor Mercenary in a future episode. IMO there is so much detail in that game from the intricate multi-track music to the tile based graphics that have a lot of variety between stages.

Yes I plan on doing that game too, can't wait for that one!

I recommend you look at Zarlor Mercenary in a future episode. IMO there is so much detail in that game from the intricate multi-track music to the tile based graphics that have a lot of variety between stages.

I didn't buy Gates of Zendocon when I was a kid, I have picked it up now though. I did buy Zarlor Mercenary which was and still is amazing. I am a big fan of the genre.

Good review for a mediocre game.

Edited by BadPricey

I didn't buy Gates of Zendocon when I was a kid, I have picked it up now though. I did buy Zarlor Mercenary which was and still is amazing. I am a big fan of the genre.

Good review for a mediocre game.

Yes indeed, I think for a launch title this would have been just fine. Its not ground breaking, but it would have done the trick, personally I don't think its a dud, its still playable and the controls are good.

I think Gates has pretty cool graphics for the lynx and is not a dud. In fact, I like the concept of breaking up the game into very short challenges with passwords instead of 5 or 10 minute long levels or having to play all levels in one shot like most shmup games. I also like the music. Some of the stages are pretty brutal in difficulty though.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BTB, just want to say that I really like your style. I've seen a few too many "let's play angry and/or copy AVGN" vids, and it's refreshing to see a more down to earth review approach with a real made-in-the-shade feel. Keep it up and enjoy the drinks!

Thanks so much. Its soooo easy to "go there" and trash these games and systems, everybody does that... it's tired. The thing about Lynx Lounge, and Jag Bar is these were my games, I paid for them, got them as gifts and lived it. I would like to give an honest opinion on these games - Good, bad or otherwise, if a game is trash I'll tell it like it is, or if its a beauty I'll let you know. Tomorrow the Electrocop episode goes live, now thats a game.

Great video.

Electrocop was one of the few games I had back in the day. I don't recall buying it, but there you go. I remember finding it quite frustrating, always struggling to fully get the move mechanics, and jumping over the electric floor bits.

Revisiting it some years later, I actually like it a bit more. Not my fave, but it's gone up in my estimation. The title music is pretty killer too.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Another cool episode. I definitely agree the music in Chip's Challenge is very good! Some intriguing melodies in that game. I like to think of myself as a pretty smart person, I have a demanding job that requires a lot of analytical rigor. While I greatly enjoyed the first 15 or so levels of Chip's Challenge, I found that the game became less of a puzzle game and more of a game of chance and memory - with hazards that would be impossible to foresee or watch out for during the first playthrough of a level. So the game really turns into a grind rather than a game relying on analysis, when you are obligated to enter into blind traps and then memorize them to avoid them on the next playthrough of the level. That unfortunately turned me off of the game, but it has a lot of great elements, and the levels that are more puzzle centric are great.

I sure as heck like the lynx soundtrack a lot better than the windows soundtrack:

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

Another cool episode. I definitely agree the music in Chip's Challenge is very good! Some intriguing melodies in that game. I like to think of myself as a pretty smart person, I have a demanding job that requires a lot of analytical rigor. While I greatly enjoyed the first 15 or so levels of Chip's Challenge, I found that the game became less of a puzzle game and more of a game of chance and memory - with hazards that would be impossible to foresee or watch out for during the first playthrough of a level. So the game really turns into a grind rather than a game relying on analysis, when you are obligated to enter into blind traps and then memorize them to avoid them on the next playthrough of the level. That unfortunately turned me off of the game, but it has a lot of great elements, and the levels that are more puzzle centric are great.

I sure as heck like the lynx soundtrack a lot better than the windows soundtrack:

You are so right, I can only get so far and then I tap out. Grind is a perfect word for the later levels. Trying to play it again and remember where to go I felt like I was playing it for the first time, it's been a long time since I booted Chip's up. Thanks for the PC music - Lynx all the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never played roadblasters on the arcade but I do feel the front of the car steers out too easily so I think I know what you mean by lost in translation. I put in a request to CJ for a jag port of the ST version of roadblasters. That would be amazing if he can pull that off.

• Like 1

I've never played roadblasters on the arcade but I do feel the front of the car steers out too easily so I think I know what you mean by lost in translation. I put in a request to CJ for a jag port of the ST version of roadblasters. That would be amazing if he can pull that off.

Now thats a great Idea!

I've been playing Road Blasters a ton on genesis lately, it's definitely a favorite game. I also have it on lynx and enjoy that version as well. I think the best use of the nitro injector, is to use it if you are about to run out of fuel - it will keep you going even when you have run out of fuel completely, so if you've memorized the course well enough, you might still make it to the finish line using the nitro injector when you otherwise wouldn't.

I'm a fan of the genesis box art, that dude on the front looks like one tough and awesome dude. The lynx boxart is a little more cartoony.
roadblasters-usa.png

I also recently read an interesting piece on the making of the Roadblasters arcade game. It was a real team collaboration and they did a lot of fine-tuning of the courses, placing the fuel pods and certain enemies and obstacles in specific areas to make a tough but fair challenge. I am addicted to this game and I think it is in large part to the increasing difficulty and "man, I was this close to making it" kind of feel I get due to the placement of fuel/enemies etc.

http://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/the-making-of-roadblasters/

I always thought the lynx version looked pretty good - and it does, but man does the arcade version have gorgeous graphics. Interesting to read that they made a 3D model of the car and then drew sprites based on it - that must be how the car always seemed so fluidly animated in the arcade version.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

I've been playing Road Blasters a ton on genesis lately, it's definitely a favorite game. I also have it on lynx and enjoy that version as well. I think the best use of the nitro injector, is to use it if you are about to run out of fuel - it will keep you going even when you have run out of fuel completely, so if you've memorized the course well enough, you might still make it to the finish line using the nitro injector when you otherwise wouldn't.

I'm a fan of the genesis box art, that dude on the front looks like one tough and awesome dude. The lynx boxart is a little more cartoony.

roadblasters-usa.png

I also recently read an interesting piece on the making of the Roadblasters arcade game. It was a real team collaboration and they did a lot of fine-tuning of the courses, placing the fuel pods and certain enemies and obstacles in specific areas to make a tough but fair challenge. I am addicted to this game and I think it is in large part to the increasing difficulty and "man, I was this close to making it" kind of feel I get due to the placement of fuel/enemies etc.

http://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/the-making-of-roadblasters/

I always thought the lynx version looked pretty good - and it does, but man does the arcade version have gorgeous graphics. Interesting to read that they made a 3D model of the car and then drew sprites based on it - that must be how the car always seemed so fluidly animated in the arcade version.

Lets just talk about that steering wheel and foot petal combo! As good s the Lynx is, as great as the Genesis is... Nothing beats that steering wheel, its so good. I can't wait to read that article. I recently picked up one of those @games portable genesis deals - I loaded Roadblasters on it so i can throw it in my bag, worth the 30 bucks just to play that game anytime I want.

Agreed on the steering wheel. By the way, fun fact, I believe Road Blasters arcade version is the same arcade hardware that runs Marble Madness. It sure would have been nice to have a good port of this game on the Jag, although at the time, it probably would have been considered a little long in the tooth, and I guess there was animosity at the time of the Jag, between the separate atari arcade game company that made Road Blasters and Tramiel's atari company that sold the lynx and jag, due to non-payment for previous projects worked on.

What do you think of Hydra? The gameplay is pretty similar to Road Blasters but I don't like it nearly as much - it doesn't seem as well executed. On the lynx version, many of the resized enemy sprites are pretty ugly and hard to tell what they are even supposed to look like.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Agreed on the steering wheel. By the way, fun fact, I believe Road Blasters arcade version is the same arcade hardware that runs Marble Madness. It sure would have been nice to have a good port of this game on the Jag, although at the time, it probably would have been considered a little long in the tooth, and I guess there was animosity at the time of the Jag, between the separate atari arcade game company that made Road Blasters and Tramiel's atari company that sold the lynx and jag, due to non-payment for previous projects worked on.

What do you think of Hydra? The gameplay is pretty similar to Road Blasters but I don't like it nearly as much - it doesn't seem as well executed. On the lynx version, many of the resized enemy sprites are pretty ugly and hard to tell what they are even supposed to look like.

Atari System 1 I remember the cabs well, Marble Madness and one of my faves Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I would agree on Hydra, something is missing.

• 1 month later...