IGNORED

Does the Dreamcast have a known freezing issue?

So a year or so back when I was playing Grandia II my dreamcast used to freeze after playing for a few hours.

Recently, on a different dreamcast, I played about four hours and then popped in Worms World Party. On my second game it froze.

Is this a problem with the dreamcast or a bug in the game? Any way to prevent this other than not playing for very long? It does seem like certain games more than others so I have to wonder if it's a glitch in the game not the system.

Thanks!

I think there is a glitch in the system, probably a memory-filling bug.

I play from time in time Resident Evil Code: Veronica, and after two hours it would always get stuck loading the next scene, I would reset it and continue playing. Isn't overheating because then it would not continue working.

Will try to vent better then. Anyone ever invest in an aftermarket high powered fan?

The Dreamcast has a three wire fan,the third wire is for speed sensing,without this the console will shut down as it needs to know the fan is running.There are mods to accommodate two wire fans and if you are competent with a soldering iron and can read a circuit diagram not too hard to follow.

I've gone through 2 or 3 Dreamcasts over the years. On 2 of them, they'd start to reboot mid-game and sometimes not recognize some game discs. I traded them in and bought another one. I've had my current DC on the carpet , and twice it rebooted after playing a while, so i put it on either a hard book, or even on a manilla folder so that the vents were not blocked. That seemed to do the trick, no further problems so far.

Although the game Worms does have its share of bugs, it shouldn't cause your DC to freeze-up.

I agree with other posters that the most likely cause of the problem is overheating.

What bugs did you have in mind? I can't think of any I've encountered in Worms World Party, except the excessive loading times and CPU think time. Worms Armageddon, though, I haven't played nearly as much.

I was thinking of Worms Armageddon.

One that stands out is the all-too-numerous occasion when you blow up something like a bridge only to discover that the grenade you tried to hurl across the screen still bounces off the (now invisible) bridge.

Regardless, I really like the game a lot.

Generally speaking though, I've found the Dreamcast games that I've played to be almost entirely bug-free.