IGNORED

Halo 5

Charlie_

I bought it on a whim today. I enjoyed the first mission, but then partway through Master Chief's first mission it started to feel more bland. I'll definitely be seeing it through to the end but I can't say I'm a huge fan of some of the weapon and enemy changes they have made (like the Hunters being aggressive and extremely dangerous now--you can't take them on head-to-head like you used to). I also don't care for the forced team-based gameplay (where your AI team constantly gets stuck on objects when you need them to revive you the most). They made the stages much more open to cater to this gameplay style and it just doesn't feel right for a Halo game--you get swarmed and bombarded very easily. If the team AI was better it might be a different story, but as it stands now it's not working out in the game's favor. (I should note I am playing it on Heroic). I'll be seeing it through to the end but my opinions are mixed right now. Sorry to be a downer, haha.

I bought it on a whim today. I enjoyed the first mission, but then partway through Master Chief's first mission it started to feel more bland. I'll definitely be seeing it through to the end but I can't say I'm a huge fan of some of the weapon and enemy changes they have made (like the Hunters being aggressive and extremely dangerous now--you can't take them on head-to-head like you used to). I also don't care for the forced team-based gameplay (where your AI team constantly gets stuck on objects when you need them to revive you the most). They made the stages much more open to cater to this gameplay style and it just doesn't feel right for a Halo game--you get swarmed and bombarded very easily. If the team AI was better it might be a different story, but as it stands now it's not working out in the game's favor. (I should note I am playing it on Heroic). I'll be seeing it through to the end but my opinions are mixed right now. Sorry to be a downer, haha.

No downer at all. I agree about the AI. The enemy AI seems very good, but your team mates are pretty stupid. I'm about 1/2 way through right now. I've really taken to the game. I am enjoying it completely. I want to play some online coop with my brother. We play Destiny together all the time. Will be nice to play something different for a while.

I've mostly ignored the media leading up to release so I didn't realize there were team AI aspects that mattered. I pretty much always hate that mechanic. I very uh, fondly, recall blasting through a level in Gears of War only to realize my AI team got stuck in at the spawn. I'm not picking it up yet to due just time constraints but that makes me feel alright about it.

I've mostly ignored the media leading up to release so I didn't realize there were team AI aspects that mattered. I pretty much always hate that mechanic. I very uh, fondly, recall blasting through a level in Gears of War only to realize my AI team got stuck in at the spawn. I'm not picking it up yet to due just time constraints but that makes me feel alright about it.

Yeah, I have never been a fan of team based mechanics either. Your team is constantly talking too, which doesn't help--like I'm supposed to be emotionally attached to them or something. Realistically, I realize the team chatter has basically taken the place of the typical NPC random marine chatter you heard in prior games. I'm not a fan of it though and would rather just fly solo like is typical in these games.

Sort of getting off track, but I wanted to mention there are also occasional sections where you're wondering around town-esque areas and have to talk to people. They don't last long but to me it completely disrupts the flow of the game. I've always enjoyed the story in Halo games, but that's partially because they never forced me to stop and get "pertinent information" out of NPCs. Just doesn't feel like Halo to me in that regard and is a buzzkill. More like "Call of Halo".

I'm curious. How does this game compare to Halo 3?

I don't particularly care for it much compared to Halo 3. It's like they sucked all the color out of the franchise (literally--things that were once bright blue, red or purple look completely grey or brown from a distance. Ugh). One thing this game has done for me is give me the desire to go through all the old ones again via the Master Chief Collection, so that's at least something.

I still can't comment on the multiplayer--my upload speeds have taken a nosedive and my ISP still hasn't been able to figure it out. I've been forced to stick it out with single player for the time being.

I just finished the halo 5 campaign yesterday afternoon.The beginning was a little slow. Somewhat uninspired. Chapter sevens artwork was freaking amazing. It should have started off the whole game. The game seemed to easy. I usually start on normal and get a really good challenge. Not so much with this one.

I changed from the default controller config to halo 4 config. That helped me a a lot in multiplayer

I ended up finishing it today as well. On Heroic it was a decent challenge, but mainly because of the nature of the levels--they are generally a little more open so you always have enemies on all sides of you. Certain things like the Covenant turrets are absurdly fast and powerful in this which makes them very difficult to deal with, unlike in older Halo games.

Some of the levels really do look fantastic--particularly the ones with grassy areas and blue sky, similar to parts in the earlier games. I didn't mind the first level's look, but really feel they should have ditched level 2 (bland indoor environments) and went with more outdoor levels because they look great. The smooth framerate accentuates the nice environments.

I am probably going to play through it again another time or two. I had no idea until near the end that you could have your team target specific enemies. This helped a lot because your team generally just sits there dumb for the most part until you tell them to gang up on a single foe (this for instance makes taking out Hunters less of a pain when everyone is targeting a single one). I really feel the AI should have worked solidly on its own without you needing to intervene. Your team still runs around and shoots, but they don't do a whole lot of good until you specifically tell the entire group to target a single foe. I still can't stand that it takes them a while to even notice you are down, despite you mashing the "X" button to call them over. I was literally screaming at the TV yesterday because of it, it got really bad. I never do that. It's exactly why I can't stand team-based, AI-assisted gameplay. It's one thing to have friends playing alongside you, but in single player, don't force this crap on me. :|

Finished it today. Without a doubt, the weakest game in the Halo series.

Story was ok...nothing unexpected and nothing too memorable for me.Graphics were excellent. the Team mechanic was pointless and obviously thrown into the game to tell a mediocre story only. I never once bothered to reivive them when they were down because, why bother? Too much chatter throughout the game between squad mates....and for no good reason. Vehicles were put in just to say they were there because every other game in the series has had them. Weapons were ok, and new abilities were somewhat useful.

343 overall has done not very well (to me anyways) since taking over. Most noticable changes they have made that seem to be getting worse is creating a "me too" game. Taking popular elements from COD and Battlefield, and tossing them into the Halo universe. I can't think of anything they have..ahem "added" in Halo 4 or 5 that made anything better or more enjoyable. It appears that having fun playing games has taken a backseat to being forced to be competitive and serious at all times. Looking at the multiplayer aspect alone and the punishments for not playing like a bro dude and win win win, it's not enticing at all to even want to casually play any matches. But, it has sold well so far and just like Michael Bays complete destruction of Transformers, the big sales numbers and dollars give the creators the sign of a job well done when in reality, shits just expensive and many people are simply curious.

I will say that 343 did say that running the game at 60fps was most important and they clearly showed that it was. Too bad all of the things that always made Halo, well, Halo, were sacrificed for a pretty and smooth picture.

Quick edit. Just for this review that really sums up what I was trying to say....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/29/halo-5-guardians-combat-devolved/

Edited by Starscream

Well put Starscream. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy and so I loaded up each Halo game on the MCC last night. Yep, each one was so much more fun than part 5--even 4. It was also an eye opener to see what hasn't been carried over from prior games--obvious Covenant blood splatters, a wider variety of weapons, the humor, the Brutes, etc.

I knew I wasn't going crazy! Something about the beta felt better, this proves it. I hope they bring back the beta aiming system back. Even if it's a toggle in the control options screen.

Read this:

http://segmentnext.com/2015/10/30/halo-5-aim-sensitivity-curves-might-get-revisited-if-fans-demand-change/

• 2 weeks later...

Dreadful.

It is funny. I have bought all of the Halo games on day 1. I really regretted that decision with MCCP. Though now it works fine and since I got it as a day one purchase I got ODST for free. I always thought that ODST was the weakest game in the series. That was until this game came along.

Characters
First of all there is a picture of the Master Chief on the front cover but he is hardly in the game. Every time you think you are playing him you get to play the other guy who is... well he is not that MC. I would like to have been given a choice that way I could have played as my fave character. Locke is a bore. The things he says lack character and to think they could have got Idris Elba to play the role someone who knows how to act. Added to the fact we have a cameo role for the guy out of Firefly who was in ODST. Really you would have thought that MS might have learned something from the fiasco that was gears of war judgement but no way.

Story
First one you rescue the scientist from the Halo 4. You are not given a chance to shoot her which is a pity. Then You go on another rescue mission. There is no over arching story like the previous games. The cut scenes are good but they lack the dramatic scope of the previous games.

Game play.
After a lacklustre character and story, you would think the 343 would at least get that right? After all Halo 4 was good not great but good. First thing up this is a team based game like a poor man's rainbow 6. I am not sure that they worked out that the previous games very FPS. This is more like COD where you are part of something big. They do most of the killing and you are along for the ride. Like (the infinitely superior) republic commando you can request you comrades to heal you. I found it patchy and just find it does not flow like a Halo game. The enemies are the same from the last game. The graphics are nothing to write home about. I am at the end of the game and I found it really patchy. You get a good level then you get a tedious level. Levels 9 and 11 are basically you playing a cut scene where you have to get to talk to one or two characters. These parts just show how out of touch 343 are. I was calling it Call of Halo. It seems I am not the only one who thinks this way.

Overall thoughts.
I have played this game for 15 hours. It reminds me of Section 8 from Timegate studios. Or COD, one of the Black Ops ones... the ones that are pants. It does not feel like Halo at all nor does it play like it. The lack of a split screen option really harms this game. It is Halo I want to play as the Master Chief. Not Locke who is just a bore. The MP is good fun but it is not H Multi player. Wanna hear about your Killtacula streak? You can forget it. No over the top phrasing. I have been playing it for the game score but it is not worth repeat playing. This is the first Halo I have been really disappointed by.

I enjoy Halo 4 but this one is just trash.

Edited by bloodreptile
  • Like 2

So, I tried to play through the campaign again today, co-op. The lag issues which make it toally unplayable are still present. It appears to mainly affect Time Warner customers. MS is aware of the issues, 343 is aware, and TWC is aware. Yet, none of them are going to correct the issue. So, basically, I purchased a second Xbox One, 2 copies of the game, and set everything up for a game that I simply cannot play online....but with no option to play local or split screen has been eliminated for super awesome 60 fps....I'm stuck with an unplayable game. I can't play this "great" co op squad based game with anyone because of the lag issues...so I can play my version of killer squad based gameplay..... alone. And multiplayer....forget about it.

I didn't metion these issues in my original post because, I had figured that being the issues were widespread and very well known, they would be resolved.

Good news is, the game sucks, so I'm not really that torn up. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. But, I'm not thrilled dropping all of that cash for nothing useful. I am currently going thru co-op campaign on Reach and remembering how awesome Bungie was and how great Halo used to be. Next up will be Halo 3.

343i officially sucks and they seem to keep getting worse. Halo:CE Anniversary and Halo 4 were solid. Halo: MCC was a disaster that is somewhat playable now, but still buggy and will never be 100% fixed. Halo 5 single player is average at best. The level design is boring in 70% of the levels, the friendly AI is beyond horrible. The concept of the story in Halo 5 sounds solid, but is horribly implemented by 343. Characters that I used to care about, such as the Master Chief and Cortana, I no longer care about. The Blue Team characters are under developed. I was looking forward to Kelly being in a game, after enjoying her character in the books, but she is under developed. The only character I care about who has personality is Buck and maybe to a lesser extent, Laskey. Everyone else is wooden and boring. The "30 seconds of fun" that Bungie talked about that is key to a successful FPS was still there is Halo 4, although not as good as Bungie Halo, is just not there in the vast majority of Halo 5.

The Arena multiplayer is solid, but not as fun as past Halo games. BTB seems tacked on and nothing but badly made forged maps. Warzone is kinda fun, but going up against people with better REQ gear than you isn't that fun.

I hope Microsoft cleans house at 343i, after these last two disasters. Halo needs a reboot.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 3

And there it is! 2 of this sites biggest Halo fans both saying this is garbage. Because it is.

343 took the easy way out of everything in this game. Major Havoc touched on the friendly AI being horrible and I'll go a step further and say this is the first Halo game to have horrible enemy AI. After a decade and a half of fighting enemies that thought and reacted, we now have 16 bit era difficulty in a game, what 343 did for difficulties, like Legendary, was simply crank the enemies up and dumb you down. Pathetic.

The levels were a cheap thing too. Make them huge, give multiple attack approaches, but make them bland. I can't really remember too many of them at all, but I can clearly remember almost all of Halo 2 from the very first time I played it. And 3. And Reach.

I've said it before over the years that the Halo series was great because what it did, it did great. Maybe never cutting edge, maybe not difficult gameplay, maybe not THE multiplayer game to play, but solid graphics, solid story, solid charachters, solid mechanics, solid multiplayer. It never took itself seriously, kept things fun, and always was an enjoyable adventure. 343, within 2 releases, stripped every single shred of what Halo was away. About 15 years of awesome, killed in 3.

I get why Bungie wanted to leave and do other things, namely Destiny. It ended up being about the most dull game I've ever seen. I was under the impression that many stayed back from Bungie, to work within 343. Since 343 took over, it's been a downhill slide. Can't help but think that Bungie of old had a definite magic within the team....split that up and things end up really mundane at best for everyone.

Good news though is I'll be calling MS in the next day or 2 and getting a refund for 1 of my copies. If I can't play it, not eating the cost.

Edited by Starscream