IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft released the list of the first batch of BC games available with the NXOE on November 12.

CLICKY

It's actually a pretty strong list to start. There were some titles (like NBA Jam that I previously mentioned) that I wasn't sure we'd be seeing.

The best part is this month's GWG freebie for the 360, Dirt 3, is on the list. I heard somewhere that all future GWG 360 titles will be BC as well, so that's an extra free game or two every month. That's pretty nifty.

Yes, from this point forward it will be four free games per month on Xbox One, two of which are 360 games. PSN is similarly spectacular with free games each month on all three of their current platforms, but obviously there's no direct backwards compatibility there.

I wish Sony would have come out with this because I always have my PS3 hooked up to my projector for the great Blu-ray and DVD upscaling output and haven't played any of my 30 or so PS3 games in 5+ years now. And to top it off, I bought a brand new 360 a year before the One because mine crapped out and they said no backwards compatibility.

Not a bad list. Lots of XBLA stuff, but really, that's the stuff I care about the most since it's money I'll never see again in some form or another (versus discs that I can sell, even if it's at a big loss). Glad to see Ikaruga and R-Type Dimensions are there too--the XBOX ONE finally has some traditional shmups, heh.

Yes, from this point forward it will be four free games per month on Xbox One, two of which are 360 games. PSN is similarly spectacular with free games each month on all three of their current platforms, but obviously there's no direct backwards compatibility there.

Unless I am mistaken or things have changed, once your PS Plus subscription has expired, you can't play the freebies unless you renew. With games with gold... aren't they yours to play even when your Gold subscription expires?

That said, seems like more PSN only games that were originally on the PS3 have slowly been making their way to the PS4. Compiled for the PS4 or emulation.......

I think it's a fine start although I've read a lot of disappointed posts today. I own around 40 of these games off this list, so a solid chunk of my collection will be compatible on the XB1 when this feature launches.

Still wondering about rights issues and how that might affect things such as allowing Outrun Online Arcade to be compatible despite Sega not holding the necessary Ferrari license at this time to allow that to be sold. Or Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4 which contain numerous licensed vehicles and music that presumably have expired licenses at this point (I wouldn't expect the demise of Bizarre Creations to matter since I'm sure these Microsoft Game Studio releases are wholly owned by MS).

Nothing is actually being sold by allowing past purchases to be compatible for those that own them and MS has stressed that no 360 code is changed here, so it will be interesting to see what the legal teams of these companies think. Hopefully it ends up in our favor.

Golden Axe is delisted and is on this list, but is undoubtedly owned outright by Sega (It was delisted when the Golden Axe compilation appeared that included this with the two Genesis sequels). Any other delisted games here?

And does everyone get Hexic? I have it since it came with my 360 back in 2006, but it's not actually in my download history since it was preinstalled.

Edited by Atariboy

Unless I am mistaken or things have changed, once your PS Plus subscription has expired, you can't play the freebies unless you renew. With games with gold... aren't they yours to play even when your Gold subscription expires?

That said, seems like more PSN only games that were originally on the PS3 have slowly been making their way to the PS4. Compiled for the PS4 or emulation.......

That's true on the PS+ side, but that's also true on the Xbox side, actually. They only let you permanently keep the Xbox 360 games forever, regardless of subscription status. I don't know if that's changed or going to change, however (i.e., go away on the 360 side too). With that said, frankly, if you own any of the consoles or handhelds covered in the subscriptions, it would be silly to let them lapse considering they can be had for less than the cost of a single new game once a year (assuming you catch a sale).

And does everyone get Hexic? I have it since it came with my 360 back in 2006, but it's not actually in my download history since it was preinstalled.

I posted that on the Xbox one experience thread....you go to the website and re-purchase it (for free). Once you purchase it, it will show up as an install. I'm still waiting on a few other games to work. A few still say "bundle".

Same here. Geometry Wars and Wolfenstein 3D in particular. It's odd that some show up for install, and some do not.

Yeah I know, I tried pretty much everything I can think of and they simply say "bundle" every time. I tried googling and it doesn't seem there's much discussion over it or anything. :?

Yeah I know, I tried pretty much everything I can think of and they simply say "bundle" every time. I tried googling and it doesn't seem there's much discussion over it or anything. :?

One thing that might possibly make a difference is that you have to make sure you're specifically in the Xbox 360 entry for the title on the Xbox.com Website, not the Xbox One entry. For whatever reason they have different parameters.

Same here. Geometry Wars and Wolfenstein 3D in particular. It's odd that some show up for install, and some do not.

Wolf3D is working for me. Geometry Wars is no longer on the list. It worked fine during testing but if you had it installed it stopped working on the day BC released and it is not listed as a supported title.. I'm guessing it will be reintroduced at some point.

Wolfenstein 3D was delisted for a time. Those that bought it early and own the Activision version can't use it on their XB1. Those that bought it after Bethesda rereleased it are able to use it just fine. Doom also is in this situation it seems.

Seen two people that successfully complained to Microsoft and received the funds to repurchase it, so you could try that.

Edited by Atariboy

Wolfenstein 3D was delisted for a time. Those that bought it early and own the Activision version can't use it on their XB1. Those that bought it after Bethesda rereleased it are able to use it just fine. Doom also is in this situation it seems.

Seen two people that successfully complained to Microsoft and received the funds to repurchase it, so you could try that.

But I bought DOOM right when it came out, yet it shows up and installs just fine..

I did buy Wolf 3D early, but if that is the reason, then theoretically it should be affecting DOOM as well.

Geometry Wars is no longer on the list. It worked fine during testing but if you had it installed it stopped working on the day BC released and it is not listed as a supported title.. I'm guessing it will be reintroduced at some point.

Ah, OK, that makes sense then for Geometry Wars.

One thing that might possibly make a difference is that you have to make sure you're specifically in the Xbox 360 entry for the title on the Xbox.com Website, not the Xbox One entry. For whatever reason they have different parameters.

It may explain Wolf3D, it asks for me to buy it again just like Austin. Doom works fine. One other one I can confirm has an issue is Lode Runner. It simply says I already purchased it and adds it to my download queue (for the 360) when I switch to the Xbox One, it simply doesn't appear in the list and says bundle on the Xbox One shop. Oh well.

Licensing issue may be the reason for Wolf 3D, as it asks me to purchase a copy here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Wolfenstein-3D/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109cb?noSplash=1

Strange that it doesn't do it for DOOM and DOOM II.

Doom II was put out late enough that it wasn't released via Activision and thus was never pulled off XBL.

Saw one post that claimed that Doom was affected just like W3D. He supposedly owns both versions of the download and only the rerelease was showing up as available for him on his XB1.

But if it indeed works for you, than that's a possibly promising sign that this is an oversight and may be rectified.

Edited by Atariboy