IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

By any chance, did you guys happen to check the date stamps for your achievements? It released over 9 years ago and a lot of 360 titles have crossed your paths through the years since then, so it seems easy to perhaps be mistaken here.

I kind of doubt you two are both wrong though, especially since the relisting happened less than four years ago and I'm seeing other strange inconsistencies reported (Namco Museum Vintage Arcade unlocks titles for some and isn't recognized for others, for instance; One person has even been granted Ms. Pac-Man, a title not even on the BC list). Either way, the Activision release definitely doesn't seem to be working for some just as Wolfenstein 3D is causing issues for Austin and others. Whatever's going on here, hopefully they resolve this nonsense soon.

On the off chance an AtariAge member does encounter troubles with XBLA Doom, consider buying the 360 remaster of Doom 3 if you haven't already in lieu of rebuying it off XBLA. While I don't think Doom 3 is yet on the list, the included XBLA versions on that disc of Doom and Doom 2 are both confirmed as working via backwards compatibility here. It sure beats paying $5 or whatever the asking price is again for the same exact thing that you already own on the 360.

The only caveat is that you'll of course have to have the disc in your drive in order to access both XBLA releases, just as it worked on the 360 originally.

Edited by Atariboy

By any chance, did you guys happen to check the date stamps for your achievements? It released over 9 years ago and a lot of 360 titles have crossed your paths through the years since then, so it seems easy to perhaps be mistaken here.

Uh.. No. Like I said, I bought it right when it came out. What, 2006? I believe it was. Not too far off from releases like TMNT, Contra, Smash TV, Double Dragon, etc. I was there at the beginning.. my memory still works. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I rather doubted that you both were wrong. :)

I hope my response didn't come off the wrong way since I wasn't out to imply anything. Like most of us reading this thread, I'm just curious about how everything's playing out here, how it all works, and why some issues are happening. So I was just genuinely curious if you both had gone to the bother to confirm it by checking that so that it could be definitively ruled out beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'm personally horrible when it comes to time and wouldn't share your level confidence with my own recollections. Things that happened a year ago sometimes feel like they occurred much longer ago, while events from many years ago sometimes feel like it was almost yesterday. So I'd of likely checked something like the opening splash screen just to be safe (Which looking just now credits Activision in my case and presumably was appropriately modified when it returned under Bethesda).

Wolfenstein 3D for instance, I'm split 50/50 on if I bought it when it first appeared or about two years ago when I last bought a lot of content off XBLA (Just in the nick of time too, since several of my purchases were delisted shortly afterwards).

Edited by Atariboy

Whelp, Lode Runner appeared in my list last night so that's cool.

Still no Wolf3D though.

I got Wolf 3D it appeared on my dash the other day.

Also me and Zeptari had a game of Discs of tron on MP. Wow the slow down was amazing. Slowdown in the music as well... Though we got an achievement out of it so that was fun.

I got Wolf 3D it appeared on my dash the other day

Do you remember when you originally bought Wolfenstein 3D?

Still doesn't appear on my download list..

I mean, it's not like I'm hard-pressed to play it. I'd probably just play it on the PC given the chance. But, I'd like to have the option.

Do you remember when you originally bought Wolfenstein 3D?

Still doesn't appear on my download list..

I mean, it's not like I'm hard-pressed to play it. I'd probably just play it on the PC given the chance. But, I'd like to have the option.

I bought it from Activision in 2009 right after it was released. Over here in the UK the game is available. I am playing the EU version. I have noticed however that the American edition is no longer available. Perhaps that is why you are having problems downloading it.

I have noticed however that the American edition is no longer available. Perhaps that is why you are having problems downloading it.

Nah--it's available again, just under a different publisher. The game shows up in the Live marketplace for me, it just asks me to purchase it (as opposed to "download/install now", which it should do).

Nah--it's available again, just under a different publisher. The game shows up in the Live marketplace for me, it just asks me to purchase it (as opposed to "download/install now", which it should do).

I used to have that for Streets of rage. Go into your download history on the 360 and download it again. Hopefully that should sort it out.

I used to have that for Streets of rage. Go into your download history on the 360 and download it again. Hopefully that should sort it out.

Streets of Rage 2 is a bit of a different situation, since the DRM mechanism that Sega supplied Digital Eclipse with was bugged and created several issues for owners that attempted to access them via their XBL account on a console that they weren't tied to (like not showing up as purchased when you visited the marketplace page for each game).

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom are in a rather unique situation since they're still here and able to be purchased to this day, they just have a modified splash screen that acknowledges a different publisher. That's enough to technically make them different versions of the same game where Microsoft policies are concerned, thanks to this minor modification and its resubmission.

That's why those of us that own the Activision versions of these two can only retrieve them via our download history on our Xbox 360, since delisted games don't have marketplace pages for obvious reasons. That's also why you won't find Streets of Rage 2 outside of your download history these days. Sega delisted it when the M2 developed Streets of Rage compilation appeared with all three games in the series.

And while it's not clear cut as evidenced by this thread, I think it's also playing some sort of role in these backwards compatibility irregularities.

Edited by Atariboy

Streets of Rage 2 is a bit of a different situation, since the DRM mechanism that Sega supplied Digital Eclipse with was bugged and created several issues for owners that attempted to access them via their XBL account on a console that they weren't tied to (like not showing up as purchased when you visited the marketplace page for each game).

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom are in a rather unique situation since they're still here and able to be purchased to this day, they just have a modified splash screen that acknowledges a different publisher. That's enough to technically make them different versions of the same game where Microsoft policies are concerned, thanks to this minor modification and its resubmission.

That's why those of us that own the Activision versions of these two can only retrieve them via our download history on our Xbox 360, since delisted games don't have marketplace pages for obvious reasons. That's also why you won't find Streets of Rage 2 outside of your download history these days. Sega delisted it when the M2 developed Streets of Rage compilation appeared with all three games in the series.

And while it's not clear cut as evidenced by this thread, I think it's also playing some sort of role in these backwards compatibility irregularities.

Thanks Atari boy. That makes sense. I am now hoping that Outrun which was also delisted will again become available for the one. I love that game so much but I am still useless at it.

The more I've been using B/C, the less I've noticed whatever "flaws" I thought were there in the beginning. I guess my only complaint is how they repackage each game. Maybe not so much the fact that they are repackaging them, but the fact that a game that was once 35 megabytes, is now 600-something at a minimum. I'm guessing they bundle the emulator with each download.

• 3 weeks later...