IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

I believe that they're adding XB360 stuff to the Xbone store soon. I suspect it will come at that time.

Yea... it probably has something to do with the fact that the Xbox One cannot access the 360 side of things with regard to the store and what you may have purchased. I think I have some levels missing with Pac-Man DX+.

The disc based Fallout 3 DLC installed without any problems though.

I'm updating my Xbox One right now to buy SOTN. I haven't used my Xbox One since like a month after I got it (been rocking my PS4), but SOTN is the spark I needed to get me back on the damn thing. My PS3 is used as a blu-ray player for my projector and the Xbox 360 controller's d-pad sucks. I have been waiting for either One or PS4 to get SOTN because I've never played it. So the One wins out for a change. I've got that Rare Replay game too and I've never played Conker so I might have to give that a whirl too now that the console is all updated.

I'm not sure if all DLC works with the BC games, and if so, how it is obtained. Does anyone know for sure?

From everything I've read, it's all automatic and doesn't require you to do anything past what's already necessary to enjoy the baseline game by initiating the download off your download history or by inserting a BC disc.

For instance if you have the the complete edition of Dirt 3 with all the DLC included on the disc, it detects that and the file that will be downloaded and installed will already incorporate those extras. Same if you bought Dirt 3 digitally or have the basic retail release of it, but also bought the DLC digitally. What you download and install will already have the DLC included.

So in a sense it's actually easier and more straightforward than playing on the 360 where DLC is concerned.

Edited by Atariboy

From everything I've read, it's all automatic and doesn't require you to do anything past what's already necessary to enjoy the baseline game by initiating the download off your download history or by inserting a BC disc.

For instance if you have the the complete edition of Dirt 3 with all the DLC included on the disc, it detects that and the file that will be downloaded and installed will already incorporate those extras. Same if you bought Dirt 3 digitally or have the basic retail release of it, but also bought the DLC digitally. What you download and install will already have the DLC included.

So in a sense it's actually easier and more straightforward than playing on the 360 where DLC is concerned.

hmm... I still have a couple of games that are on the list with DLC that was purchased digitally "back in the day", yet it does not show up in my downloads. Fallout 3 was the biggest example. Maybe there are a few BC games where the DLC is simply not supported yet.

From browsing the Neogaf thread from time to time, that's indeed the case. Sometimes DLC just isn't supported yet so you'll have the regular edition for the time being.

Same with different editions of a title. Sometimes like in Dirt 3's case, you're covered. Other times something has slipped through the cracks and doesn't properly unlock access to the game like it should since that particular run of the title inadvertently wasn't entered into the system and thus isn't recognized yet.

And then sometimes it's just bizarre like all the reports of people with Namco Museum Vintage Arcade being granted access to some games on the BC list, while other BC games don't work that way despite being included on that title (And some can't get it to work one way or another). Or the classic id shooters that seem to be hit or miss regardless of who the publisher was when it was purchased.

Edited by Atariboy

Has anyone here successfully got backwards compatibility to work? I dunno if I'm doing something wrong, but it isn't working for me. All it does it goes from the Xbox One menu to the Xbox 360 logo and then says "Getting your Xbox 360 info..." and nothing happens beyond that. It just keeps loading and loading forever.

Has anyone here successfully got backwards compatibility to work? I dunno if I'm doing something wrong, but it isn't working for me. All it does it goes from the Xbox One menu to the Xbox 360 logo and then says "Getting your Xbox 360 info..." and nothing happens beyond that. It just keeps loading and loading forever.

Of course. There shouldn't be any issues with it. Worst case, format your console to factory settings and start over.

Of course. There shouldn't be any issues with it. Worst case, format your console to factory settings and start over.

I already used the reset to clear my 360 profile/date because someone, somewhere said that might work (I had my doubts since it never added my account to begin with). I've used the thing 10 times since I got it at launch, if this doesn't work, the piece of junk stays turned off just like I should have left it to begin with. I looked on Microsoft Support Forums and others are having this exact same problem, but Microsoft is doing nothing about it and it doesn't even give error codes. The only reason I'm not just playing SOTN on my regular 360 is the D-pad is so terrible. Wouldn't have minded so much if I'd known it wouldn't work before I paid $10 for the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I already used the reset to clear my 360 profile/date because someone, somewhere said that might work (I had my doubts since it never added my account to begin with). I've used the thing 10 times since I got it at launch, if this doesn't work, the piece of junk stays turned off just like I should have left it to begin with. I looked on Microsoft Support Forums and others are having this exact same problem, but Microsoft is doing nothing about it and it doesn't even give error codes. The only reason I'm not just playing SOTN on my regular 360 is the D-pad is so terrible. Wouldn't have minded so much if I'd known it wouldn't work before I paid $10 for the game.

I had a problem abit like that two weeks back. I grabbed a giant system update that made things worse and worse. I started having 360 games hang at the 360 logo screen. My XBox One games lal played well but 360 games that had been installed on an external began to just hang as I described above. Eventually the whole external stopped working with the XBox One. It would turn on but the XBox One could no longer read from the external. I had to format the whole external,loosing allot of games that I had to download over again.

After that games were up and running again and I didn't see 360 games hang at the splash screen.

I'm not saying thats your case but that system update for ma few weeks back was abit nasty,I had never experienced something like that before. But I did have the hanging splash screen when a 360 game tried to boot from the external. I'm not even sure what clearing/resetting your profile does. If it reformats your drive then ignore what I've written. But in the event that you have an external try this move out if every else has failed. Good luck,hope you get it working soon.

I even had issues with my PC even seeing the external once all this happened.

These two links will show you how to properly put a good fix on the problem if both the XBox One and your PC can no longer read the external drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2443512/external-hard-drive-issues-xbox.html

This 2nd link is Gold and very useful

It will get your external back up and running on both XBox One and PC so that you can then format it.

Good luck.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

I had a problem abit like that two weeks back. I grabbed a giant system update that made things worse and worse. I started having 360 games hang at the 360 logo screen. My XBox One games lal played well but 360 games that had been installed on an external began to just hang as I described above. Eventually the whole external stopped working with the XBox One. It would turn on but the XBox One could no longer read from the external. I had to format the whole external,loosing allot of games that I had to download over again.

After that games were up and running again and I didn't see 360 games hang at the splash screen.

I'm not saying thats your case but that system update for ma few weeks back was abit nasty,I had never experienced something like that before. But I did have the hanging splash screen when a 360 game tried to boot from the external. I'm not even sure what clearing/resetting your profile does. If it reformats your drive then ignore what I've written. But in the event that you have an external try this move out if every else has failed. Good luck,hope you get it working soon.

I even had issues with my PC even seeing the external once all this happened.

These two links will show you how to properly put a good fix on the problem if both the XBox One and your PC can no longer read the external drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2443512/external-hard-drive-issues-xbox.html

This 2nd link is Gold and very useful

It will get your external back up and running on both XBox One and PC so that you can then format it.

Good luck.

After the latest update you could factory reset and keep games and apps. It worked after this for some reason.

• Like 1

Maybe the updates stack? It was quite a large one like two and a half gigs(hadn't grabbed one in awhile) that then caused all hell to break loose with my external. But yeah the last update I grabbed a few days back was really small compared to the other one I had gotten.

I didn't know you could keep games and apps after a factory reset. One less worry then,glad they are slowly but surely fixing this thing.

I still hate the damn lag when traveling around in the menus. If there's one thing I love about the updates is that they atleast have the Kinect working with voice commands really well now. I had my Kinect disconnected at one point and hated trying to do those botton commands to snap a video or take screen shots,fuck sake its still a mess. But then I later hooked up the Kinect after a few months and damn the voice commands to issue snapping a video or taking a screen gran are spot on now. I hope the next time around they make the thing optional and not the focus of the system. I mean I like it for voice stuff but not for gameplay, Its too much like Wii with the arm waving,meh. Had a great weekend playing Gear 3 with backward compatibility and having it snap videos to share on Twitter was easy and lots of fun. Loving the system again but being cautious,todays state of gaming on all consoles is still a mess. :P

One thing I haven't been happy with is how unreliable and inconsistent the XBOX ONE has been. I haven't had catastrophic issues like some people here, but I've had it to where apps would crash immediately upon boot, others would constantly provide error messages (keeping me from being able to use them in the way I intended), etc. Some issues required multiple reboots, others would exhibit problems until a system update was provided. It's been a pain and is in stark contrast to the overall solid reliability I have had with the 360 for the last ten years.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this was referenced in this thread or another, but my issue with Wolfenstein 3D not appearing in my download list has resolved itself. It finally appeared in my queue without me having to re-buy it last weekend! Downloaded and installed it, works like a charm.

Also, it seems like MS is getting into a groove with backwards compatible games. It looks like they are releasing at least four or five a week now. I'll be interested to see how long they keep this up!

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Red Dead Redemption is virtually a locked 30 fps, if anyone owns a Xbox One and ever wants to revisit it. It's a far cry from the drops that often went all the way down to a locked 20 fps when the action heats up on the Xbox 360.

I have it even worse since I bought the PS3 version. But I'll grab the rerelease for the 360 someday with the expansion pack that I never played, in large part thanks to its improved quality when played here via backwards compatibility.

Too bad that every BC release couldn't boost of similar improvements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm not sure I follow. They add multiple games a month.

I'm with Bill on this one. Games are added all the time to the BC list, which now stands at almost 300. 3 more games were just announced this morning​. That there aren't more is not only tied to technical hurdles, but licensing as well. That Microsoft is devoting resources to this and continue to do so to this day is pretty nice.

• Like 1