IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

Yeah, I'd like to see more original XBOX remasters. A Rare Replay Volume 2 would be nice as well. There are still a lot of games they could do, theoretically without licensing issues. It would be nice to see the XBOX version of Conker given the Grabbed by the Ghoulies treatment.

Anyway, on a more related note in regards to 360 Backwards Compatibility, I'm still waiting for Radiant Silvergun. Hasn't hit yet, but Microsoft has added a few shmups to the list over the last year. Crossing my fingers as usual.

Yeah, I'd like to see more original XBOX remasters.

While not choices that excite me, they're doing Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust for release this year, so hopefully those aren't just one-off deals and are a sign that more are planned.

Sadly though, the three Microsoft Game Studio releases I'd most love to see, Outrun 2, RalliSport Challenge 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2, are in a genre usually overlooked for remasters and are chuck full of long expired licenses. And MS doesn't even own Outrun, of course.

So I'd much rather see them announce original Xbox backwards compatibility at E3. :)

Edited by Atariboy

Nope, it was published by Microsoft Game Studios in North America. It's why Microsoft is on the front cover in big letters right beside the Sega logo, where as only Sega is displayed on the PAL cover, for instance.

The first review from back then that I pulled up mentions this, in fact.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/10/22/outrun2

Quite a few sites like MobyGames and GameFaqs also have Microsoft Game Studios listed as the North American publisher. And the ESRB has them down as the publisher, as well.

Edit: Even the old AtariAge thread for this release has it in the title. :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/54063-outrun-2brought-to-the-us-by-microsoft/page-1

Edited by Atariboy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a question about Xbox One DRM.

Lost access to my email tied to my XBL account and just got around to fixing it earlier this month after a few years away. My Xbox Live account is in limbo until early next month though due to this email switch and a 30 day waiting period to prevent fraud, and I've already missed two great deals since then. But I want to take advantage of this big backwards compatible game sale. So I'm considering making a secondary account to make these purchases from.

It won't pose any difficulty playing them on my primary account on my Xbox 360 online or offline on the 360 that I buy them from, but will I be able to do the same someday on a Xbox One while logged into my original account (I've yet to make the jump), or will I have to log into this new secondary account each time I want to play one of these purchases?

Basically, can two Xbox Live accounts have the same XBO system designated as the primary/home system, allowing cross-account access online or off on that particular system, regardless of which account is currently being used? Or is it limited to one account having that designation?

Not really entirely up on how Xbox One DRM is setup...

Edited by Atariboy

My account is fixed, but I did it early this month and it won't be ready for purchases again until June 2nd or so, which is too late for the sale.

They allow you to switch email addresses if the original is inaccessible, but to protect from fraud, there's a 30 day waiting period for the account to be fully unlocked. Theoretically, if it's not the account holder trying to regain control, the account holder will see the notification email sent to the original email address before that 30 day waiting period is finished and be able to put a stop to it from the originally registered email address linked to the account.

I know what I'd like to do will present basically zero hassles on the 360 itself, but are you telling me that only one Xbox Live account can have the home designation on a single Xbox One system? I know you can't have offline/cross-account access on multiple Xbox One systems with the same Xbox Live account, since only one console can have the home designation with those privileges per account.

But I would've thought that more than one Xbox Live account could designate the same XBO console as their home system. :(

Edited by Atariboy

You can have multiple accounts on a single system, but I would think you would need to sign in and out a lot.

So the thing is locked up so tight you can't even add credit to an account? That doesn't seem like something they'd need to worry about ...most fraudsters don't give people money, right?

It hurts my brain to even think about what you're trying to do, but it should work, albeit in a pain in the ass way.

So you're not sure then how Xbox One DRM works? That's good then, since hopefully it won't be a pain in the future for me.

On the 360 proper, the only annoyance essentially is creating a second Xbox Live account. From there, it's completely painless since the content licenses for the 10 XBLA games I'm eyeing will then be tied to that 360, allowing any account to access those games on that specific 360, offline or online.

So I can just stay in my regular XBL account made during the original Xbox days and play these, thanks to how 360 DRM works. Absolutely zero hassle and I'm hoping that's true on the Xbox One as well.

It's basically how some people "game share" on the 360. The same account is on two different 360's and one person logs into that account and buys that content on their 360 and then uses a different Xbox Live account of their own to play it with, thanks to having the DLC licenses tied to the system that allow any account to access it on that specific system, online or off.

And the account holder whose account was used to purchase the DLC then logs into Xbox Live on their own console, and is able to also play the same DLC thanks to the 360's dual DRM scheme that allows the purchasing account access on any 360 regardless if the DLC licenses are tied to the system, as long as they're logged into Xbox Live.

Edited by Atariboy

It was Time Warner Cable's fault. :)

Looking around, I think you're wrong about online verification, whatever that's supposed to exactly be. And while you can only designate one Xbox One as your home system per Xbox Live account, there seems to be no limitation on two different Xbox Live accounts designating the exact same Xbox One as their home console.

And on the home console designated by a Xbox Live account, the DLC bought by that account is accessible on that system to any other account that logs onto that specific Xbox One.

In other words, works like I was hoping it would. I can have this secondary account present on a Xbox One, designate it as my home system, download my DLC, and then that's it and I'd never have to log into the secondary account again on that system.

From there on out, I can just use my traditional XBL account and play everything from there, just like on my 360.

Edited by Atariboy

Basically, can two Xbox Live accounts have the same XBO system designated as the primary/home system, allowing cross-account access online or off on that particular system, regardless of which account is currently being used? Or is it limited to one account having that designation?

Not really entirely up on how Xbox One DRM is setup...

You can have a single Xbox One set as the "Home Console" for multiple accounts. You should not have to bounce between accounts. Any content owned by an account that designates that console as the "Home Console" will be shared.

• Like 3

I hope I didn't inadvertently screw something up just now. Had some error code troubles and got flustered, and registered a new Xbox Live account to the exact same email address that I had transferred my old one to, instead of the alternate Google account that I had meant to use.

Surely if Xbox Live objected to this, it wouldn't of let me do this in the first place, right? At worst, they'd just consider my email swap request for my old account as null & void since it's now linked to a different account, and I'd have to repeat the process and go through another 30 day waiting period?

I sure preferred the days when I'd insert a cartridge, and that was that. ;)

Edited by Atariboy

The standalone XBLA release of arcade Shinobi is now backwards compatible along with Shadow Assault/Tenchu, IIomilo, Assassin's Creed III, and Mat Hazard: BBB.

With so much of Sega's XBLA content now on the backwards compatibility list, I hope they don't forget about Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I sadly don't hold out much hope for Outrun Online Arcade, Sega Rally Online Arcade (And by extension, Sega Rally Revo), and Afterburner Climax joining the BC lineup since they've all been delisted due to expired licensing. But there's no apparent roadblocks with this great collection.

I do see that it's delisted digitally, which is disappointing and a bad sign for it joining the program. They tease you with a demo available for the game and the trailer, but no sign of the game itself. I occasionally see comments about Sega not owning such and such a game outright, such as some of the music in their classic Sonic games.

So I suppose that could be playing a role here, although likely not specifically the Sonic games since the standalone XBLA versions seem to all be present on the BC list.

Edited by Atariboy