IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

The xbox 360 backwards compatibility for original xbox games works pretty well.

NTSC has 279 games that work, with the small download that updates it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

You just put the disc in and it works.

I haven't tried installing games to the hard drive, but I have a feeling you still have to insert the original disc to get them to work.

later

It sadly doesn't work very well and most games had significant issues. Even Halo 2, their flagship original Xbox game, has a weird image persistence issue and a multiplayer map that ran so poorly on the 360 that it was removed from their map rotation when the 360 was rolled out.

And even if installations were allowed for original Xbox games (They weren't), they'd surely work just like they do with regular 360 games and require that the disc be inserted into the drive. This serves as their DRM mechanism since otherwise people would just pass around their games or trade it in after installation (Not so much an issue today, but back in 2005/2006, MS was actively selling original Xbox software).

I like to say that only roughly 10% of the library was truly backwards compatible on the 360. Approximately half of the original Xbox library of ~800 games joined the the BC list, but of those made "compatible", I'd say that easily 80% suffered from significant problems like Outrun 2 going from a silky smooth frame rate on original hardware to a choppy mess on some corners on the 360, to game breaking problems like the PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Orta that crashes after the 3rd level.

And 80% of 50% leaves you with 10% of the original Xbox library that was compatible and actually ran well with at the most, minor issues. So somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 games or so, with the Xbox Originals selection a good starting point at finding the best running games in the selection of BC games (I'd also recommend Atari Anthology, which despite amounting to an emulator that's emulating another emulator, runs perfectly from my experience when in-game).

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 weeks later...

I just got for the original Xbox, House of the Dead 3, and Tecmo classic arcade compilation.

Both work flawlessly on the Xbox 360. House of the Dead 3 also includes House of the Dead 2 as an unlockable.Not sure if they support light gunsl

Tecmo arcade only works if you set the graphics to 480p, and then it runs fine. Was fun playing some of the old retro games like bombjack, rygar, and some other lesser known games.

later

Edited by negative1

• 2 months later...

Original Xbox compatibility starts tomorrow with 13 games available to start

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Ninja Gaiden Black

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

Fuzion Frenzy

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Psychonauts

Dead to Rights

Black

Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Red Faction II

BloodRayne 2

The King of Fighters Neowave

• Like 5

Original Xbox compatibility starts tomorrow with 13 games available to start

Love the improvements too, e.g., "Ninja Gaiden: Black on OG supports Widescreen (16:9) display. So not only is it 16x resolution, it's also 60fps and fullscreen!" (source: Albert Penello).

That is so cool. It makes me think the sharp graphics and textures were there all the time, but the old Xbox couldn't draw them for us.

That was exactly what was stated in one of the places whose name slips my mind at the moment. The higher quality assets were there, but the output was limited to 480p (not counting the few games that supported 720p or 1080i).

• Like 1

Well, the graphics are often higher resolution than the system can show. Like halo, the characters and environment Are skinned at a high enough resolution to look good/great at point blank, but at 480p, as you get farther away, the resolution drops drastically. Often dropping to a base untextured color.

Give us Panzer Dragoon Orta. Outrun 2

Outrun Coast to Coast

HOTD3

Crazi Taxi 3

JetsetRadioFuture

Gun Valkyrie

ToeJamAndEarl III

ShenMue II

Too many awesome Sega games to leave ignored,make it happen Sega.

OGXBox,X360 and that crazy Gears 4 and Forza 7 update with next gen visuals Nov 7th,seriously great launch coming up.

• Like 1

Hey Microsoft, let us copy the discs to the hard drive. You're already giving away XB360 games right and left, what's a little goodwill among long time fans?

Yeah, I'd love to use all the OG Xbox disks on the X1 to save me from buying a seperate console...but I think the emulator they use works on a case-by-case basis. :?

This is fantastic news! I've got most of those games already so I will definitely be looking forward to trying them out. I never ran through Ninja Gaiden Black, so I think now is the time to do it.

This is the game that blew me away during the PS2/Xbox era. It's pretty dated graphically, but gameplay is a masterpiece. Warning: Very difficult, learn to block\dodge and play in Ninja Dog mode for first run if you have to. (Just die three times at the start).

Yeah, I'd love to use all the OG Xbox disks on the X1 to save me from buying a seperate console...but I think the emulator they use works on a case-by-case basis. :?

Yes and yes. Just like with Xbox 360 games, you can use the original discs for the games as long as they're among the supported games list (it's not a universal emulator, but tuned on a game-by-game basis, which also no doubt involves getting necessary permissions). Although this really doesn't apply much to original Xbox games, if you happen to own them digitally, as soon as they're made compatible, they'll automatically show up in your Xbox One game list for download and play just like the Xbox 360 games do.