IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

This is great! The improvements are really nice. Some solid titles at launch. Hopefully Sega will get some love with the next few updates. Between Microsoft Game Studios, Sega, Tecmo, Bioware, the Splinter Cell series and a few other stellar 3rd party games, the OG Xbox is one of my favorite consoles of all time.

This is the game that blew me away during the PS2/Xbox era. It's pretty dated graphically, but gameplay is a masterpiece. Warning: Very difficult, learn to block\dodge and play in Ninja Dog mode for first run if you have to. (Just die three times at the start).

Yeah, I've finished the original so I've got an idea on what I'm getting into. Just kept putting off Black, but now that it's going to look even more crisp it seems like that waiting has paid off. :)

• Like 1

This is great! The improvements are really nice. Some solid titles at launch. Hopefully Sega will get some love with the next few updates. Between Microsoft Game Studios, Sega, Tecmo, Bioware, the Splinter Cell series and a few other stellar 3rd party games, the OG Xbox is one of my favorite consoles of all time.

Same here, you could easily stick a hard drive in it and mod it. Great emulators etc. Loved the games with 720p/1080i, the list goes on and on..... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Recompiling of some sort might be present.

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/874074394267537410

Can't think of another obvious reason for why downloading would still be necessary for a retail copy of a game. So that means that any wishful thinking of the entire library being made BC in one fell swoop is out of the question.

Eurogamer put up a video about Xbox One backwards compatibility today. Apparently recompiling here is happening due to the need to convert the 32 bit x86 code of the original Xbox to 64 bit compatible x86 code for the Xbox One.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Where can I get a list of ORIGINAL Xbox games that work on the One?

Edit: Specifically looking for Playboy: The Mansion, but would like to check other titles too.

So far, there are only 13. Microsoft said the next big update for Original Xbox games will be Spring 2018.
BLACK
Ninja Gaiden Black
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Fuzion Frenzy
Psychonauts
Sid Meier’s Pirates!
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
BloodRayne 2
Red Faction II
Dead to Rights
Prince of Persia
KOF Neowave
  • Like 2

So far, there are only 13. Microsoft said the next big update for Original Xbox games will be Spring 2018.

BLACK

Ninja Gaiden Black

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

Fuzion Frenzy

Psychonauts

Sid Meiers Pirates!

Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

BloodRayne 2

Red Faction II

Dead to Rights

Prince of Persia

KOF Neowave

Well, disappointing that it's not bigger yet, but Microsoft is being more aggressive on this front than I would have predicted.

The games in my collection now are as follows:

Aqua man

Batman Begins

Brute Force

Crimson Skies

Doom 3

Fable

From Russia With Love

MechAssault

Ninja Gaiden

LEGO Star Wars

Star Wars: kotor

Sudeki

Superman: TMOS

Naturally, I'd like those to work, though some of the quirkier ones I could understand not making the cut. There are also games I don't have but am open to picking up, such as Playboy or Simpsons: Road Rage.

• 1 month later...

Original Xbox backwards compatibility news of some sort is coming on April 10th.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/980839686515015680

https://majornelson.com/2018/04/02/inside-xbox-episode-2-debuts-on-april-10/

And godslabrat, Crimson Skies and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic were in the first wave. I'm assuming you know that and just included them since you're listing your entire collection of original Xbox games, but just in case you didn't, you're all set with at least two of them. :)

Many of these are unlikely, but here's my own wish list.

• Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
  • Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1
  • Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2
  • Colin McRae Rally 04
  • Colin McRae Rally 2005
  • Fatal Frame
  • Fatal Frame II
  • Midway Arcade Treasures (Several great games here that aren't on Origins, which is already BC)
  • Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (Ditto)
  • Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (MS seems to control Hydro Thunder, which hopefully isn't a roadblock)
  • Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary (Although Virtual Arcade for the 360 would be even better)
  • Outrun 2
  • Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast
  • Project Gotham Racing 2
  • Rallisport Challenge 2
  • Taito Legends
  • Taito Legends 2 (Euro release, but was region free)

And they're not musts, but I'd love to see Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. The former since I dislike some changes made with the remaster, and both because of how much they pushed the hardware back in the day.

Mostly as a curiosity, I'd get a kick out seeing just how close they are to the 360 versions when they're rendered in HD via emulation with the frame rates smoothed out. I bet visually they're not very far apart, especially Doom 3.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Four new Xbox classics have product pages up now. I hope this won't be the sum of all their BC news when their show airs later today.

Morrowind

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Morrowind/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802425307f9

Destroy All Humans! (This was once available as a Xbox Original for the Xbox 360)

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Destroy-All-Humans/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585207f0

Full Spectrum Warrior

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Full-Spectrum-Warrior/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802354807e1

MX Unleashed

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/MX-Unleashed/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802354807e2

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Oh, nice.. I was thinking about playing Morrowind soon. Now I know where I'll be playing it, haha. I agree as well, hopefully there are more to be announced.

*Edit: Actually, hmm.. The listing has a description for the GOTY edition, but box art for the original edition. I wonder if both editions will work.

Edited by Austin

Original Xbox backwards compatibility news of some sort is coming on April 10th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=tg-2auft6OE

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/980839686515015680

https://majornelson.com/2018/04/02/inside-xbox-episode-2-debuts-on-april-10/

And godslabrat, Crimson Skies and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic were in the first wave. I'm assuming you know that and just included them since you're listing your entire collection of original Xbox games, but just in case you didn't, you're all set with at least two of them. :)

Many of these are unlikely, but here's my own wish list.

• Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
  • Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1
  • Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2
  • Colin McRae Rally 04
  • Colin McRae Rally 2005
  • Fatal Frame
  • Fatal Frame II
  • Midway Arcade Treasures (Several great games here that aren't on Origins, which is already BC)
  • Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (Ditto)
  • Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (MS seems to control Hydro Thunder, which hopefully isn't a roadblock)
  • Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary (Although Virtual Arcade for the 360 would be even better)
  • Outrun 2
  • Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast
  • Project Gotham Racing 2
  • Rallisport Challenge 2
  • Taito Legends
  • Taito Legends 2 (Euro release, but was region free)

And they're not musts, but I'd love to see Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. The former since I dislike some changes made with the remaster, and both because of how much they pushed the hardware back in the day.

Mostly as a curiosity, I'd get a kick out seeing just how close they are to the 360 versions when they're rendered in HD via emulation with the frame rates smoothed out. I bet visually they're not very far apart, especially Doom 3.

Yeah, Atariboy, I'm pretty well set on getting an XB1 now. The last round of announcements sealed the deal for me.

19 Original Xbox games to be added in April

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/10/17221474/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-panzer-dragoon-orta

Here’s the list of original Xbox games coming to Xbox One this month:

Original Xbox games arriving April 17

• Blinx: The Time Sweeper
  • Breakdown
  • Conker: Live & Reloaded
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Jade Empire
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • SSX 3

Original Xbox games arriving April 26

• Destroy All Humans!
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
  • MX Unleashed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe only)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
  • Star Wars: Republic Commando
  • Like 3

I never thought those Star Wars games would come back ... especially the Jedi Knight games that used the Quake engine that didn't work on the 360. I don't think I kept my discs for those because of that (esp since they're also on PC). I might spring for digital copies because I'm a chump.

A great lineup. Panzer Dragoon Orta!!!

• Like 2

None of my wish list is there, but there are several that I'm still happy to see, including Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I wonder if region locking is lifted? I've been curious about Panzer Elite Action for a while and was going to import the PS2 disc, but this would be even better. Xbox 360 releases are region free on the Xbox One.

I might give it a try when I get a XB1 hopefully sometime soon. Panzer Elite Action is a very cheap game.

Edited by Atariboy

I doubt it will be up in our digital store, considering it's a Euro exclusive.

I'd be importing from Europe though, which I do from time to time. I have almost 30 PAL PS2 releases for instance (And much smaller numbers for several other systems, including the region free Taito Legends 2 for the Xbox).

If it's also a bit pricey over there as well, I'll just revert to buying it for my PAL PS2 the next time I import some PAL games.

Edited by Atariboy