IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

RedDeadRedemption in 4K is seriously nuts. While I don't think I can handle another open world game at the moment(too busy with FarCry 5) I'll get some good action in it later during summer. This feature is seriously getting better and better though.

The only downer right now would be that I inserted Panzer Dragoon Orta and.... nothing,turns out I'm a week early as the update comes the 17th :)

• Like 1

I always felt that Jade Empire kind of went under the radar. I liked it back in the day.

I like that it's playable on mobile now, too.

I think Xbox backwards compatibility is cool, and they've gone above and beyond their competitors -- especially considering the difference in architecture between the different types of Xbox.

I wonder if anyone feels the opposite, that Microsoft kinda sucks because they pick and choose what old software will run on the new machines? That it isn't just a plug-n-go process? Have you read of anyone being pissed that BC isn't better?

I really don't think they have a choice but to do it this way. Due to the way the emulation works and Xbox One's use of UWP they have to repackage these games. The original contract wording likely makes it impossible for MS to do this without getting permission from the rights holders for every game they make compatible.

I'm happy they are doing it at all and I think the quality is phenomenal. It started with some really rough edges but they have this down to a science now. I'm also glad that they are still delivering fantastic performance on the original Xbox One so that, at the very least, you get an identical experience (though often framerate is improved) to what you would have gotten on original hardware. Those that desire better visuals and performance have the option of stepping up to the Xbox One X. I think MS got this absolutely right. Unfortunately there are not many other reasons to get the Xbox One over a PS4 right now. MS needs to do something about their exclusivity drought.

Edited by Hyper_Eye
  • Like 1

While there may be additional reasons on the legal side, a major reason it's being handled this way is that they're having to recompile each game. That right there seals the deal where universal compatibility is concerned.

Eurogamer went into this a few months back. The XB1 can't natively execute 32 bit x86 code for the system's original Pentium III based processor, so Microsoft has to convert it to 64 bit code, which is than apparently ran natively on the XB1's cpu (While the instructions for the Nvidia's NV2A gpu are ran via emulation).

No platform holder has ever needed to clear games on a game by game basis before when enabling physical backwards compatibility. I suppose it could be contracts, but I think it's more likely the same thing that's keeping lots of in-demand 360 games away. By recompiling the game, Microsoft seems to see it legally as a full XB1 release, even if the original disc is in the drive serving as a DRM check.

If Microsoft could, they'd enable BC with license expired 1st party titles like the Project Gotham Racing franchise just out of good will, even if they can't sell them digitally. But by virtue of that recompiling and redistributing each game digitally, it seems to be seen legally as a new release. So without relicensing vehicle likenesses and music, they're stuck in the vault.

Too bad the system's cpu apparently doesn't have a 32 bit backwards compatibility mode. Maybe things would've been different had true original media playback been a feature here, rather than this recompile/download setup we do have.

Edited by Atariboy

Seriously jazzed that PDO is coming. Wish some of the other early original Xbox Sega releases were included, though. But PDO was the best of them and it's not like you can play that game on anything else, so it's the one I've been wishing for all this time. It's really the main reason I've had my original Xbox hooked up for the last little while. (Well, that and Crazy Taxi 3 and GunValkyrie.)

Oh, I understand the technical limitations. I think it's amazing that it works at all. What I'm asking about is how people (and not just us) FEEL about that.

does the average Xboxer:

A. Feel happy that this works at all (like it sounds like most of us do)

B. Feel pissy that there are only a few dozen titles a year

C. Don't care either way

(now that I've typed it in words, I think it's probably C)

Seriously jazzed that PDO is coming. Wish some of the other early original Xbox Sega releases were included, though. But PDO was the best of them and it's not like you can play that game on anything else, so it's the one I've been wishing for all this time. It's really the main reason I've had my original Xbox hooked up for the last little while. (Well, that and Crazy Taxi 3 and GunValkyrie.)

I'd like to see Jet Set Radio Future again, that was a system seller for me. The Outrun games were nice, but they're on XB360 as well.

There were a lot of SEGA games on Xbox. It was like Dreamcast 2.

https://segaretro.org/Xbox

My enthusiasm is definitly tinged with some disappointment.

I have no special attachment to the original Xbox hardware. So I would appreciate a more modern console with compatibility for this software library that will be reliable and supported for years to come. And official wireless gamepads are great, as are quality arcade sticks and racing wheels.

And modern HDTV's don't do the original Xbox any favors. Something like Rallisport Challenge 2 still looks beautiful via component to my Trinitron, but the 3d polygonal games really look their age on my HDTV. So this HD rendering and other image processing that the XB1 does to original Xbox games is something I'd love to enjoy across the library.

But it all boils down to the realization that many of my favorite Xbox games are long shots like Outrun 2. So there's definite disappointment here in not being able to control what original Xbox content is playable on the Xbox One. But there's no anger here. I appreciate the effort and I'm enthusiastic about this initiative.

Too bad it will probably be winter again when the next round is announced though. But as long as there is a next round of additions, I'm happy. There's hope for some of my top choices.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'd like to see Jet Set Radio Future again, that was a system seller for me. The Outrun games were nice, but they're on XB360 as well.

There were a lot of SEGA games on Xbox. It was like Dreamcast 2.

https://segaretro.org/Xbox

I wasn't as into many of their later releases on the system; I felt like they pretty quickly lost their mojo without a system of their own. But that first batch of games they announced, many of which were originally Dreamcast games, were all pretty awesome. I think most of them are now in some other format or on some other system (PC if nothing else), so XB1 BC isn't that big a deal, but I don't think PDO is available any other way on a modern system.

Oh, I understand the technical limitations. I think it's amazing that it works at all. What I'm asking about is how people (and not just us) FEEL about that.

does the average Xboxer:

C. Don't care either way

I'm just happy it works at all. I've found I only care about old game for about 10 minutes and then ignore them again for years. There's also way too many fun new games out there these days for me to give a crap about old games I've already played a ton.

• Like 1

I know PDO works on 360, because I bothered to keep my disc ...if we consider a 13yo system to be "modern."

Well for the purposes of *this* thread, I guess I meant "current" rather than "modern". I have all the current systems, but I never owned a 360, so the only way for me to play PDO is to keep an original Xbox hooked up just for it. Which is pretty annoying to be honest :) But it is just absolutely one of my favorite games of all time. I can't wait to be able to play it in my actual living room again, on a decent TV. I don't have room for my original Xbox in the living room, so I've got it hooked up in a guest bedroom on a dinky little 22" TV.

• Like 1

does the average Xboxer:

C. Don't care either way

Definitely A. People are always going to wish for more games, but being able to play enhanced OG Xbox games on the One and especially the One X is great.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS releases a smaller batch of OG Xbox games at E3 or announces some new OG games and a release time frame for maybe summer or fall.

• Like 1

19 Original Xbox games to be added in April

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/10/17221474/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-panzer-dragoon-orta

Here’s the list of original Xbox games coming to Xbox One this month:

Original Xbox games arriving April 17

• Blinx: The Time Sweeper
  • Breakdown
  • Conker: Live & Reloaded
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Jade Empire
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • SSX 3

Original Xbox games arriving April 26

• Destroy All Humans!
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
  • MX Unleashed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe only)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
  • Star Wars: Republic Commando

Great announcement. This makes me want to get my discs out and get them ready to install.

I didn't think that Morrowind was backwards compatible with 360. Is that one new? I will likely try it on Wed the 18th. Anyone know if the install includes all the DLC?

Definitely A. People are always going to wish for more games, but being able to play enhanced OG Xbox games on the One and especially the One X is great.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS releases a smaller batch of OG Xbox games at E3 or announces some new OG games and a release time frame for maybe summer or fall.

I feel weird, because on one hand, this sealed the deal and convinced me to get an XB1 (sometime soon). On the other hand, I'm so far away from being the target market that Microsoft probably shouldn't think that making me happy is a good thing.

The port of the PC Panzer Dragoon should also be rendering in the same resolution. :)

This may sound like a quibble, but this isn't upscaling 480i/480p to HD. This is actually rendering these games in HD. On standard Xbox One and XB1S hardware, a 480p original Xbox game is now rendering at a resolution 4 times that of 480p. And on the Xbox One X, it's 16 times that of 480p. That massive resolution jump is a large part of why the visual results are so spectacular compared to the same games being emulated on the Xbox 360 at their original 480p and then upscaled to 1080p.

The only content that should be merely upscaled if/when any such titles join the backwards compatibility list are non-polygonal releases like Metal Slug 4 & 5 that are composed of sprites, classic compilations like the Capcom Classic Collections that emulate 2d sprite games, and emulated 3d polygonal content on the Xbox like Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin' in Midway Arcade Treasures 2 and 3 (I don't believe there are any other examples past these two).

But anything that's polygonal and running natively on the original Xbox will render at either 4x or 16x that of 480p (depending on the Xbox One model).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

I picked up the Xbox One X and got Far Cry 5 with it... going to play it tonight but my son wanted to play on it and setup an account etc... lol. And the game he wants to play on it? Some Sonic game from the 360... lol.

I'm looking forward to buying KOTOR as I never played more than maybe an hour of it.. likely less. Oh and re-playing Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas with the new resolution etc.

This is going to be fun...

Oh and the first thing I did after setting it up? Watching The Last Jedi... I really like my new gaming setup. Now I just need to get a couch and maybe a recliner and we're set. lol

• Like 2