IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

I am feeling old and left out by new gaming trends...so this is great news! I am looking forward to playing PD Orta and SW Battlefront 2 on the XB One. Yeah, I can play them on other systems like the 360 right now and they look good. But they'll look better and probably run smoother on the One. Now my wish list for other Xbox Originals to be brought to the XB One:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Blood Wake

LOTR: Return of the King

DarkWatch

Capcom Classics Vol. 2

Capcom Vs SNK 2

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon

Simpsons' Road Rage

Then I could get that Hyperkin Duke controller, and it'd be a regular ol' Hot Tub Time Machine.

Start it off with launch titles, like Halo and Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. :)

• Like 1

I'm on an original Xbox One - looked great. I can't say I really notice framerates anyway, but I think you meant the original game on original hardware fluctuated.

I was a little surprised that they didn't update the aspect ratio to wide screen (it is 4:3), but that didn't bother me while playing the game.

• Like 1

Um, the EMULATOR would handle the processing of the game so it shouldn't matter if the one could read it or not. Iirc, the thing that kept the 360 from playing all games was the video card in the original xbox. If ms really has the video card basically finished, then their 90+% finished with just a full blown all games emulator.

Wha, now I need to cut out morrowind. I love that game. Here's hoping kotor gets a bc. I loved it, but my original system died towards the end and I never finished it (got to the star forge, don't know how much was left after that)

Edited by Video

Recompiling is going on here, discs aren't played back directly, and it's not strictly traditional emulation.

For both the original Xbox and Xbox 360 BC on the XB1, a hybrid situation is happening that sees cpu instructions converted by Microsoft's backwards compatibility team to be able to be ran natively on the XB1's 64 bit x86 based processor. Only the graphics side of both systems is seeing original code running via traditional software emulation techniques, per Eurogamer. This need for Microsoft's backwards compatibility team to prepare each game is why you won't see backwards compatibility opened to the entire library of either of the XB1's predecessors.

And both Knights of the Old Republic titles are on the backwards compatibility list. KOTOR1 since last October, and KOTOR2 will be joining it on April 26th.

Edited by Atariboy

And SWEET, KOTOR is $10 to download (for whatever reason I can't fathom now, I appear to have traded my copy of this beloved game years ago). I am very excited about this.

Back in the day, I made t-shirts with art from KOTOR and Panzer Dragoon Orta on them, they were poorly done but I got compliments from gamers fairly frequently.

Nostalgia, take me away like Calgon. :)

• Like 1

Thought I'd give Panzer Dragoon Orta a try on my Xbox 360 (Not yet a XB1 owner), but apparently I never bought it. I played through it back when it was new, but it must've been borrowed.

Anyways, I purchased it digitally for $10 (at the moment it would run me over $50 for a complete copy online). As I was browsing the selection though, I realized that every title on the XB1 backwards compatibility list was also present on the 360's BC list. I hope they don't stick to that theme for some bizarre reason.

While it's great that something like Panzer Dragoon Orta is up on the Xbox Store for 360 owners like myself, quite a few good Xbox games never made it to the 360's BC list. If such games are to join the XB1's BC list, they're going to have to be exclusive to the XB1. Yet when this last batch appears in a few days, all 32 releases so far will be of Xbox 360 compatible content.

Unlikely to be a coincidence when only approximately half the original library ever joined the 360's BC list, leaving scores of quality Xbox games off the compatibility list.

Edited by Atariboy

every title on the XB1 backwards compatibility list was also present on the 360's BC list. I hope they don't stick to that theme for some bizarre reason.

When XB360 came along, I let go of all my OGxbox games that weren't backwards compatible. I can say for a fact that Jedi Starfighter and Jedi Academy (coming this week) aren't backwards compatible with xb360, else I would have held onto the discs.

When XB360 came along, I let go of all my OGxbox games that weren't backwards compatible. I can say for a fact that Jedi Starfighter and Jedi Academy (coming this week) aren't backwards compatible with xb360, else I would have held onto the discs.

I don't own them so I can't personally test these, but they're on the official Microsoft list.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/legacy-devices/original-console/play-original-games

I don't own them so I can't personally test these, but they're on the official Microsoft list.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/legacy-devices/original-console/play-original-games

They're newly added then? If I had the disk I'd be tempted to check this now (April 22, 4 days before they're due to start working -- I assume a patch will become available on April 26th?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

Still, compatible is compatible, I don't see anything to complain about there -- especially if the list is dynamic and growing.

The last Xbox 360 backwards compatibility update was in November 2007. Star Wars Jedi Starfighter was part of it according to the below article.

https://www.wired.com/2007/11/xbox-360-back-c/

And Jedi Academy was one of the day 1 games at the 360's launch, according to this.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/x360-compatibility-list-released-some-sw-games-missing.22291940/page-3

Edited by Atariboy

I updated my post after you must've read mine. Jedi Academy appears to have been one of the launch titles for this feature at the Xbox 360's launch.

http://boards.thefor...22291940/page-3

Note: we are not fighting, but just talking about 17 years worth of lists of old games across 3 systems with very similar names. Right? ;-)

Star Wars Battlefront (one) was never compatible with 360, but will be on Thursday.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04/10/backward-compatibility-april-update/

It's also unavailable on Steam or GOG.

I'm gonna see what discs I kept now ...

(edit: this is mostly wrong -- Battlefront I works in backwards compatibility, as does Jedi Starfighter)

Update: I read through the link you posted, and they updated everything since then. "Final" version shows that you are correct, the stuff coming to XBOne does indeed seem to be stuff that worked on XB360

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/x360-compatibility-list-released-some-sw-games-missing.22291940/page-5#post-27789534

I'm sure there are good reasons (not just lawyer crap) for this, since Star Wars games make money and bring attention from people like us.

You were right, my info was out of date, or if you prefer, wrong.

• Like 1

Well, remember the 360 list fluctuated, and some previous compatible content got taken off. Also, compatible didn't mean worked. Plenty of the games had problems from minor stuff to take breaking stuff. They probably had a third of so titles working at one time or another, but only probably 100 or so that were playable.

I looked thru my disks -- seems I liquidated all my Xbox Star Wars games except for BF2, KOTOR, and KOTOR2. I guess I figured I wasn't playing them, and most had superior PC versions. So I guess I'm less into backwards compatibility than I thought. ;-)

Honestly, why do I hoard video games anyway?

I spent a good bit of time yesterday playing some original Xbox games on the Xbox One (X, specifically). These games look absolutely fantastic on my 1080p display and are razor-sharp. Some friends complained about the 4X3 titles that still display in 4x3--they have black borders on the sides of the screen, but it didn't bother me personally. The overall enhancements, from sharper visuals, faster load times and better framerates, really injects new life into these older titles and it's without a doubt the best way to play these today.

• Like 6

KOF Neowave didn't get a PAL release. Can people in PAL regions buy KOF Neowave digitally? Can't you switch regions when buying digital games on the Xbox and get around it that way?

You don't want it. You really, REALLY don't want it. May I recommend King of Fighters 2002: Ultimate Match instead? It works just fine on an Xbox 360 and is by any measure five times the game Neowave was.

• 1 month later...