IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

I figured as much. I quickly scrolled through it on YouTube watching the preview window and didn't see anything like looked likely to be a short segment on backwards compatibility.

With the long gap between the 1st and 2nd wave of original Xbox releases, I rather figured it would probably be next Fall at the earliest before the 3rd wave of releases.

• 2 weeks later...

With BC updates usually happening on Tuesdays I believe, it looks like Farsight/System 3 let their last chance slip by to allow Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection to join the backwards compatibility list.

Decent BC update yesterday (At least from my perspective, since I own Grid Autosport and Sensible World of Soccer), but I would've liked to have seen this collection be added since the rights to the Williams content expire after Saturday.

Perhaps it was a rights issue with the IP holder I suppose that held it back (Being able to sell digital Williams content in PA doesn't necessarily mean they still lawfully can distribute The Williams Collection), since obviously at this late date the addition of this older collection to the BC list wasn't going to hurt sales of Williams content in Pinball Arcade for the XB1 like it might've had it been added a few years ago.

Edited by Atariboy

Different strokes for different folks. I probably play more backwards compatible games than I do regular Xbox One games.

I definitely play more BC games than Xbox One games. You can look at my profile and see that. I have played some games that are not compatible with Xbox One. My 360 still works great. A lot of BC games play better on Xbox One though. I am really enjoying some of the Xbox One X enhanced BC games. It's awesome that Microsoft decided to do that.

Might be some hope for Project Gotham Racing.

https://twitter.com/shannonloftis/status/1013275253282242561

This of course was Microsoft's premier arcade racing series for the first two generations of Xbox hardware, until Project Gotham Racing 4 launched during a busy holiday time slot against some stiff competition and underperformed in the sales department, leading to the severing of their relationship with Bizarre Creations and the eventual death of that UK studio.

She's a Microsoft employee and that's PGR4. Could mean absolutely nothing and it's probably the safe bet to assume nothing will be happening with these license heavy releases from years gone by, but it's not too big of a leap to wonder if perhaps it's a hint of what's to come in the near future.

I'd sure love to see PGR2 here eventually.

Edited by Atariboy

I can't recall anything significant missing with Xbox compatibility on the 360. I think the main issues were more performance related. At least thus far, there's little evidence that that will be as significant of a concern.

Again, this time around, I think the scenario is rather different with Xbox 360 games on Xbox One (including the aforementioned greater commercial incentive), so I think it's fair to say that they'll deliver on their promises in terms of breadth of games.

Ahem, King Kong for 360 and Nba Jam on Fire

• 11 months later...

A fresh wave of announcements may be about to happen. Three original Xbox games have had listings added to the Microsoft store and MS has teased some BC announcements for an Inside Xbox episode later today.

• Armed and Dangerous
  • Indiana Jones & Emperor's Tomb
  • Unreal Championship 2

And keeping in line with the previous additions, all three were Xbox 360 compatible.

Edited by Atariboy

Last wave of Xbox One backwards compatible games. Somewhat of an underwhelming list where my tastes are concerned.

Xbox

-Armed and Dangerous

-Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb

-Sphinx and the Cursed Monkey

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

-Unreal Championship 2

Xbox 360

-Asura’s Wrath
-Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
-Enchanted Arms
-Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
-Far Cry Classic
-Far Cry Instincts Predator
-Infinite Undiscovery
-Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
-Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
-Skate
-Star Ocean: The Last Hope
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
-Syndicate
-Too Human (Free)
-Unreal Tournament III

Xbox One X Enhanced

-Banjo-Kazooie

-Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
-Banjo-Tooie
-Kameo Elements of Power
-Perfect Dark
-Perfect Dark Zero
-Viva Piñata
-Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

Focus will be in getting all Xbox One software working well on Xbox Next from here on out. No more XB1 additions.

Edited by Atariboy

Perfect Dark Zero is X enhanced?? Nice!! I can't wait to check it out then. The framerate is one of the biggest things holding it back in this day and age, so I will be curious if that aspect has been improved (as it usually is with X enhanced titles).

• 2 years later...

A ton of games were added Monday. 

back_compat.thumb.jpg.a0c69ea5e6dfb9f0e7b3f5fe5d647a6f.jpg

Alas, of the four XBLA games that I own that are newly added, the pair that I care about aren't even recognized as even being owned by me (Time Pilot and Scramble; Edit: Make that three, since I just noticed Warlords on the list and it's doing the same deal). The store on the Xbox One wants me to pay $4.99 to purchase each of these. Hopefully just a fluke that irons itself out after a day or two. 

Not an amazing list, but a few here will excite people like the TimeSplitters games. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And looks like they're saying that this officially concludes the program.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-backward-compatibility-ends

What a tease the addition of original Xbox support ended up being. I'm glad it was there, but at least for this original Xbox owner, very little of what I wanted to see ended up represented. Xbox 360 was much better represented and many of the omissions made unfortunate sense to me, like the 1st party racing games that were riddled with expired licenses. 

I knew it would never happen, but just the same I always held a tiny glimmer of hope that they'd open up disc based backwards compatibility with the original Xbox. I never expected to see it with 360 content due to the novel way that they handled 360 BC here, but I thought there was the tiniest of chances that we could see it for original Xbox content.

We can't complain though. There was never a promise that they'd even restart things and 75 more original Xbox and Xbox 360 games are now playable on Xbox One and Series X/S than could be played the day before. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'm glad to see a few of those games get the BC finally, but I'm a bit puzzled by a few of the choices. Particularly 'Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?' Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that basically a Redneck Jeopardy program that was on tv over a decade ago? Licensing the rights to a defunct tv gameshow that would seemingly be practically unknown to modern gamers is a baffling choice to me. 

I guess I can hold out hope that Nintendo may one day add 'MTV Remote Control' to their NES Classics line. I loved that game back in the day. Haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nall3k said:

Has anyone played that 2011 Warlords? I bought it yesterday and am pleasantly surprised. I remember watching the trailer 10 years ago, but could never find it on the store.

i was thinking of the updated warlords that was previously released:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Warlords/achievements

later

It’s fine, like all those Atari remakes from the XBLA. Not amazing, not terrible. It got bad reviews because the magazine-style reviewers weren’t into casual minigames back then. Nowadays it probably wouldn’t get reviewed at all. 

I’m just happy to have a few more old purchases to play on more modern hardware. Even if they don’t make any more old games compatible (they said this is the last time, but they said that before), Microsoft is really doing this right. I like backwards compatibility. 

• Like 2

When they shut down backwards compatible additions last time to focus on polishing XB1 support on what we now know as the Series S and Series X, they came right out and said that they were open to potentially revisiting the program down the road. This time, their wording doesn't suggest that the door is being left open. Instead, it sounds like it's being nailed shut with no hope for further additions. 

And I forgot all about that Warlords remake. I was thinking the new backwards compatible addition was the Atari Classics Evolved version from the PSP that Stainless Games ported to the 360 (Especially since I think all the other Atari XBLA games from that group minus the now sold off Battlezone were already BC). Explains why it wasn't showing as ready to download on my Xbox One, since I don't own the remake. 

Now if the mystery of why Time Pilot and Scramble aren't working for me could just be solved. They show as owned and ready to download on the Xbox 360 store page for each game at Xbox.com, but if I go find the new store page for each of these, they don't show as actually being owned by me despite being the exact same game (As an illustration of what I mean by old and new listings, here's the Xbox 360 storefront listing for Time Pilot and here's the XB1/SeriesXS page for the same game). Never had that issue with any other backwards compatible game. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:50 PM, Atariboy said:

Now if the mystery of why Time Pilot and Scramble aren't working for me could just be solved. They show as owned and ready to download on the Xbox 360 store page for each game at Xbox.com, but if I go find the new store page for each of these, they don't show as actually being owned by me despite being the exact same game (As an illustration of what I mean by old and new listings, here's the Xbox 360 storefront listing for Time Pilot and here's the XB1/SeriesXS page for the same game). Never had that issue with any other backwards compatible game. 

This happened to a friend of mine with Quake III. He owned it (and I'm pretty sure I even played him in an online match or two a while back), but it's not showing for him on the Xbox One side of things. I need to pull up the new list and go through my library too to see if the same thing is happening to me with any particular titles.

Been over a week and I see they still don't show as ready to install. Will be a pleasant surprise if this eventually gets resolved, but as of now, I don't think it will be fixed. Cloning Clyde as well as Quake III (Your friend isn't alone, Austin) are two others I've seen reported as doing the same thing. I suspect it's afflicting everyone that bought these particular games from the Xbox 360 store that is now trying to access that content on their newer Xbox hardware.

Tempted to just rebuy Time Pilot since it's one I revisit quite often and it's only $5, but it works on my Xbox 360's and I don't want to risk two purchases of the same 360 game on the same account somehow breaking it entirely.

I see complaints as well with the latest Games With Gold freebie. I believe it's Lego Batman 2 for the Xbox 360 which can be correctly redeemed on a Xbox One or Series console. But apparently over on an actual 360, people are incorrectly receiving Lego Batman 1. And where as a backwards compatible 360 purchase is supposed to unlock the game across all 360/XB1/Series systems, people that acquired Lego Batman 1 this month on their 360 can't then download it on their newer Xbox systems. Nor can people that grabbed Lego Batman 2 on their XB1/Series system proceed to download it to their 360.

Seems Microsoft is all but forgetting about paying attention to the 360 storefront or actually seeing to it that BC Xbox 360 purchase licenses are correctly integrated across storefronts. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:25 AM, Atariboy said:

Tempted to just rebuy Time Pilot since it's one I revisit quite often and it's only $5, but it works on my Xbox 360's and I don't want to risk two purchases of the same 360 game on the same account somehow breaking it entirely.

Darn! I bought this on the 360 and they wanna charge me $5 again. This is the first time one of my digital 360 purchases just didn't transfer over! That stinks!?