IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

Nice to see Halo Reach on there... I have not picked up Halo 5 yet, and I have been toying around with going the long way around, starting with Halo Reach, but I may put that off when things get busy again in the spring as you can play this games in shorter stretches. At the moment, DA Inquisition (PS 4) is taking up my time... winter is good time for those kind of games.

Not too surprising I suppose, since the Halo series pushed the hardware more than most.

I suspect a good rule of thumb with a major title like this will be to wait it out for a month or two and see if a patch happens, rather than even bother with it at the launch of compatibility. Judging by how they've addressed issues so far, they'll have this one fixed up soon.

In case anyone is interested, I've completed the first two missions in Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the games runs great, with no noticeable problems. I bought this game the day it came out and I'm FINALLY getting around to playing it..lol. The original Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time, but I was big time into Halo 4 multiplayer at the time, so my X360 backlog increased like crazy during that time. Backwards compatibility makes it easier for me to knock out some of those X360 games I never finished.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Space Giraffe and Aegis Wing were added today along with some other stuff: http://majornelson.com/2016/01/21/new-xbox-one-backward-compatibility-titles-are-now-available/?linkId=20546581

The Witcher 2 is free for the rest of the month.

Cool. The Witcher 3 sounds good, but I never played the first two. My computer can handle the first one, but not the second one, but as a freebie for the Xbox, I can live without all of the PC bells and whistles....

• 2 weeks later...

You're better off thinking of it as Microsoft's version of the Virtual Console, with the added bonus of free upgrading to the Xbox One version for existing owners of the content.

If you're hoping for huge swathes of the library to be made compatible, I'd say that this is bound to disappoint. It's great for the odd game here and there, but this will never be a proper 360 replacement.

Edited by Atariboy

They trickle out abit slowly but then again who in the world would want an entire library just suddenly released? Its already crazy enough playing through the ones that are released + having to wait for them to be patched later. Think what theyre doing is the proper way to go about it. Unleashing a mountain of games that don't run smoothly is only going to cause allot more frustration. Good to see Alan Wake's Undead Nightmare and Red Dead Redemption make the list now. But I'm not holding my breath on how well they run at the moment. I'll get to playing them about 3-4 months later after the patches have come.

They trickle out abit slowly but then again who in the world would want an entire library just suddenly released?

Why not?

For existing 360 owners, it means you could consolidate systems, it means that you can use the superior XB1 controller in all of your 360 games, and most importantly, it also means that you can jump back and forth at will without hassle after you've installed your content. And if you never owned a 360, the entire library of 360 exclusives is obviously suddenly now available to you in this theoretical situation.

Unless you have some special sentiment attached to your 360, assuming everything else is equal like the XB1 offering perfect emulation and full support for specialized 360 controllers in our theoretical situation. why would you want two systems hooked up when one can do?

And for the classic gamer, it's yet another system with your digital purchases on it. Every time something like a XBLA classic joins the backwards compatibility roster (Castlevania SOTN is also part of this update, for the latest example), it's yet another system in your collection that has your downloads tied to it.

Xbox Live support for the 360 isn't going to last forever and someday in a few years, you won't just be able to log online and redownload your library on a new system. So the more hardware your downloads are tied to, the better.

Edited by Atariboy

Good to see Alan Wake's Undead Nightmare and Red Dead Redemption make the list now. But I'm not holding my breath on how well they run at the moment. I'll get to playing them about 3-4 months later after the patches have come.

I haven't played RDR yet but Alan Wake runs great.

• 1 month later...

Good for SOTN...

Also good for Allen Wake. Never got around to it and may pick it up. It has DLC though, right? I had the game once upon a time, and I still have the DLC on my 360. I've had major problems getting 360 DLC to show up at all on BC supported games , even though I bought it for the 360 and it is installed there. Fallout 3... DLC never showed up in my download queue even though I bought it all on the 360. I eventually picked up GOTY edition on the cheap just for that disc with the DLC and used that.