IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

Been using the Xbox one almost exclusively the past few months mainly because of BC I haven't been gaming much due to some health issues but from what I tried It's pretty flawless. Was floored to see oblivion, I'm also hoping for more arcade stuff. I also picked up the gears X1S model..... very cool looking

I actually just loaded up Oblivion on my XB1. I never got to play it on my 360, but it plays fantastic on the XB1! No issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My son, who said that he wouldn't buy an Xbox One (Sony guy), just bought a 500gb S model for himself for Christmas. The first thing we did was tie my Gold account to it and we promptly had 55 games ready to download due to me getting the free BC and XOne games. Paying for Gold is a great way to build your game collection. The console came with Battlefield 1 and he bought Gears Of War 4 with the dl codes for the X360 games. Overall a fantastic deal. MS has really upped their game to make this system more attractive. And I'm having a blast playing this console, haven't picked up my 2DS for over a week now. I teased him by saying that I could connect his PS4 to the HDMI-in port, but he declined (heard that there's too much lag anyway). Next thing is we'll probably get an EHD for it. Having Steam has shown me that 500gb isn't enough space for 25gb+ games.

Time to put your money where your mouth is...lol.

A couple more things will play into it... like is there a price drop this year, do any more of my 360 games make the BC list, and does the Nintendo Switch call my name. But yeah, me buying a One suddenly became more likely than not.

A couple more things will play into it... like is there a price drop this year, do any more of my 360 games make the BC list, and does the Nintendo Switch call my name. But yeah, me buying a One suddenly became more likely than not.

I'd be surprised if we saw less than $199.99 this year, even after Scorpio is released.

I'd be surprised if we saw less than $199.99 this year, even after Scorpio is released.

Nah, I don't think less than $199.99, but being able to get a non-refurbished unit for under $229 I could definitely see happening. Amazon has a black unit right now for $239. Even at that price, I'm likely to bite eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I played it on both consoles last night. The game runs fine on 360. I don't think performance is identical between the two systems but it runs well on Xbox One too. It has been a while since I've seen a BC game really perform poorly on Xbox One compared to 360. At this point BC games often perform better on Xbox One. Having said that, GTA IV is not a good looking game on consoles. I was trying to decide if it simply hasn't aged well and I don't think that is it. Other games from the time look fine. There is a lot of post-processing going on that does not look good. It makes the game look incredibly blurry during the day. There is a depth-of-field effect that looks really bad. It's a mess. Maybe I would feel differently if I were playing on a small television. I play my consoles on my 1080p projector at 106". Even lower resolution content is typically not a problem on my setup (I am not using a cheap projector... it's nice) but this game just looks awful. I installed the game in Steam and the difference is incredible. I often choose to play games on my consoles over PC. In this case I have to recommend playing the PC version if you can. I do know that some consider it a buggy PC port and they have issues. I am running it on Linux through Wine and it plays just fine.

How well did GTA IV play on the 360? Have you tried it on the Xone yet?

My first GTA game was V so I missed all of the ones before it

Well we have a good benchmark now:

It looks like we get improved framerate on Xbox One but the frame time is less consistent lending to an overall feeling that the game is not as smooth. This is consistent with my observation when switching between the two systems last night. It was immediately apparent in the apartment. It isn't much of an issue when driving though.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep hoping to see original Xbox backwards compatibility. :)

I bet we'll see GTA IV updated shortly. That doesn't sound like an issue that should be difficult for Microsoft to correct. Not sure I want to play it now though, since the chase camera when you're driving looks awful in that Digital Foundry video. You can't even see where you're going as you're turning.

I hope there's an option to lock the camera to behind your car.

Edit: Good, there's a hood view without this nonsense.

Edited by Atariboy

I keep hoping to see original Xbox backwards compatibility. :)

I guess technically they already have something that can do it since Rare Replay includes an Xbox game in it. It's curious that they don't at least release the Microsoft Studio games digitally in some type of bundle. That might be easy sales for little relative effort. It would also give them two generations of backwards compatibility as a bulletpoint instead of just the one, although I suppose in the big picture that probably doesn't mean much.

I imagine that the Xbox game on Rare Replay was just ported in the traditional manner.

Probably pretty easy given the roots of each system in PC hardware, such as both utilizing a x86 based cpu. Perhaps I'm showing my lack of technical knowledge here, but I wouldn't even be surprised if the XB1 could natively execute original Xbox cpu instructions with no middleware involved like an emulator or how Microsoft converts and recompiles the 360's PowerPC based instructions to x86 code to enable backwards compatibility (With GPU tasks emulated, it appears).

But sadly, even forgetting about the Halo collection that already has brought the two flagships forward, a lot of Microsoft Game Studio releases would have licensing issues these days. For instance the Project Gotham Racing franchise is probably a no show if digital distribution would be required, just as the delisted 360 iterations have yet to appear pn the Xbox One BC list due to the expiration of music and automobile licenses.

Universal playback of original discs would probably be the only hope for something like Project Gotham Racing 2, Outrun 2 (MS picked up the rights for North America when Sega was going to pass us over), Links 2004, Top Spin, and so on.

Edited by Atariboy