IGNORED

How to tell when you've been had

byonddrivn

So I bought a lot off someone on Sept 27th who had a listing in the Marketplace and when they sent it out I was told that it would be coming in 2 boxes. One box had a FedEx tracking number and the other was sent SmartPost. I received the first box quickly and was very happy but haven't received the second box yet. I've been in contact with this individual every weekend to keep them up to date on the status and they've replied every time. There's been some info on a due date for the box but even tho FedEx told them it would arrive on Oct 15th I still haven't seen it. I emailed this person Saturday with my weekend update and haven't gotten a response back this time. So I guess my question is - am I just being foolishly hopeful, have I been had?

I understand sometimes things don't go as planned and I've run across a few duds on eBay and Craigslist. Most the time it gets resolved or it's a lesser amount that I figure I've rolled the dice and lost but this was $300 and I got less than $200 of goods to show for it. A little frustrating.

What's SmartPost... a USPS thing? That not come with a tracking number? Sounds like maybe the package got lost or rerouted. USPS likes to do that with some if my purchases from down south and things take much longer to show as a result. :mad:

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/

OP: I've had delays with SmartPost as well and sometimes people on forums/EBay/etc have other things going on in life where they can't always respond. What does the tracking info say? Have you contacted FedEx?

AA Marketplace?

Did you use paypal? If yes and assuming you didn't choose the "pay friends" options, then there is a good chance you can still get some or all of your money back.

Yes I used Paypal and I went with the pay friends option, I was trying to do him a favor cuz it sounded like he was a college kid and money's probably tight. At 3% fees I should've just covered the extra $6-8 dollars for the piece of mind. Lesson learned there.

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/

OP: I've had delays with SmartPost as well and sometimes people on forums/EBay/etc have other things going on in life where they can't always respond. What does the tracking info say? Have you contacted FedEx?

I've heard SmartPost isn't the smartest, never dealt with it before myself. I have no tracking info except from the first package which I already received. I can try FedEx and see what they say I suppose.

I assume, being a college guy, he's probably busy. Sadly, even though I got more of my money's worth in the first box, the item I really wanted is in the box I'm waiting for and that's what makes the waiting so hard.

I've heard SmartPost isn't the smartest, never dealt with it before myself. I have no tracking info except from the first package which I already received. I can try FedEx and see what they say I suppose.

That is odd as SmartPost does have full tracking, he should have a tracking number for you. I don't really think this is a scam, why would he send $200 worth of goods and not the last $100? The max value for SmartPost is $100, but you need a tracking # to make a claim.

If the tracking shows it moved somewhere on FedEx, it should show tendered to USPS.

Quite often there's a 7-10 days wait on that transfer.

Then the tracking should work on USPS and it should show it being moved somewhere.

If the tracking doesn't show anything, either the seller messed up or he never had any package to send with in the first place. If it does show picked up, call up FedEx (if it's not tended to USPS) or USPS and have them do a trace.

I know he's told me he's called FedEx but I haven't tried personally.

I've been a little busy today so I'll try to call FedEx tomorrow but this was his last message to me in the on this site's messenger:

"i was unable to get a tracking # as i was short the 3 extra bucks cash, but i assure you all was shipped."

$3 short does not compute. FedEx always give out tracking number and if you're short $3 you can't ship.

USPS of the old time used to charge extra for DC but it's included in just about everything but the regular first class mail.

Time to make the seller sweat. Open claim, this will put a hold on his PP account.

"i was unable to get a tracking # as i was short the 3 extra bucks cash, but i assure you all was shipped."

Fed Ex should have it automatically, they track everything. Even USPS gives free tracking now but it never cost $3? Tell him to send you a pic of the shipping receipt...it should have all the info you need on it.

I contacted FedEx this morning and what most people on here are saying seems to be true. A tracking number should have been issued. I've sent an email one last time to the seller to give him a final chance to resolve this and I'm giving him 24 hours to get back to me. Hopefully my next post here will be that everything's cool, otherwise I'll be heading to the bad trader forum.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I'm still a little green here and have mostly bought things through more regular avenues and have only made a few purchases through a marketplace forum like on here and even then for lower amounts of money. While many might be thinking it, I had hoped I wouldn't get a "you're screwed" mentality when advice is so much better and that's what I've gotten.

Yeah that sucks, I would only gift to a very well established member here. Someone who not only frequents the forums but does a fair amount of trades as well. Gifting isn't worth it overall. Like said earlier it is best to just pay more and cover the fees for your own protection.

I hear you. I guess after looking at his profile -member since 2009, about 400 posts and an adult I thought I'd be in a little better shape right about now. Of course his age could be fake and still, I should stick by my motto of never trusting anyone under 25 (sorry to those that are under 25) :)

Unfortunately anything is always possible. I remember on GTZ seeing people who had like 7 years on the site and hundreds of trades all of the sudden scam 20 trades real quick. It makes you wonder what happened. 6 years does seem to be a pretty good account but 400 post is pretty low for that time. If he lives in NY I would be willing to pay a visit for you :)

Unfortunately anything is always possible. I remember on GTZ seeing people who had like 7 years on the site and hundreds of trades all of the sudden scam 20 trades real quick. It makes you wonder what happened. 6 years does seem to be a pretty good account but 400 post is pretty low for that time. If he lives in NY I would be willing to pay a visit for you :)

I assumed that he didn't post that much maybe in his earlier years, he would have been early teens when he first joined, probably spent more time hanging out on NintendoAge then. Also he did start a blog but it looks like it never went anywhere.

And thanks for the offer but he's out of Connecticut. :)

I doubt he intentionally scammed you, he likely shipped it and lost or threw away the receipt, was oblivious to tracking info and probably confused the $3 charge for insurance or signature confirmation. What that means is it his still his fault for tossing the receipt, if he can not provide you with a picture of the receipt, try to get your money back. If you used a credit card on paypal, contact your credit card company, they might reimburse it and leave paypal to do the dirty work...