IGNORED

The Great Escape - final release

mariuszw

I am really proud to present final version of The Great Escape game part for Atari 8bit!

Thanks for people who helped me with the port (in no particular order):

Jose Pereira: loading screen, credits screen, pm/g overlays in-game

Philsan: title screen

Poison: title music

Wieczór: in-game sound effects

Game requires 64KB of RAM in order to run. Game is both PAL and NTSC compatible. Final version was tested on Altirra only, but it should run properly on real hardware. Music uses stereo Pokey, but it should play on mono Pokey as well.

For those who didn't read WIP thread: game is ported from C64 version, however code is optimized and is also using Atari hardware features, so performance is roughly 3 times better than it was on C64.

Enjoy!

ge.xex

ge.atr

• Like 17

Great job!

I remember this game on CPC 6128. Scroll and performance were terrible..

But where is the flag in Atari version? ;)

This is Atari, so performance is good :)

The flag is missing, as it was not present in C64 version. Sadly, the searchlights in the night are missing too, as C64 coder didn't bother to implement them :(

Hmmm,

did the version from post #3 still have the gfx glitch ?!? You said the glitch was due to the compression routine, but the attachment in post nr. 3 came uncompressed... (so I guess it did not have the gfx glitch, but I am not sure)... ?!?

Besides, most Atarians do not like the C64, but for such conversions a C64 webpage with manuals and solutions is quite good. Here are some manuals and solutions for TGE, read the solution(s) only if you are stuck or very impatient... (like me). And errmm, I already converted the text into ATASCII (max. 38 chars. per line), so you can read it on the A8 if you like. Hopefully the game did not change in any way and the solution for the C64 is 100% the same for the A8...

GEMANUAL.TXT

GESOLUT.TXT

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Hmmm,

did the version from post #3 still have the gfx glitch ?!? You said the glitch was due to the compression routine, but the attachment in post nr. 3 came uncompressed... (so I guess it did not have the gfx glitch, but I am not sure)... ?!?

Besides, most Atarians do not like the C64, but for such conversions a C64 webpage with manuals and solutions is quite good. Here are some manuals and solutions for TGE, read the solution(s) only if you are stuck or very impatient... (like me). And errmm, I already converted the text into ATASCII (max. 38 chars. per line), so you can read it on the A8 if you like. Hopefully the game did not change in any way and the solution for the C64 is 100% the same for the A8...

Only the version from #1 has glitches. Other versions are fine.

Gameplay should be 100% the same as C64 version. Gameplay code was not touched at all, only rendering and scrolling code was changed for Atari. If you manage to win the game, please let me know.

Hehe,

I was asking because I used the version from post #3...

- compressed it with Code3 Cruncher,

- added the title-screen by irgendwer (with Steve McQueen), since I prefered it over the loading screen by Jose (and I did not know then you would use the Steve Mc Queen title in a newer version)...

- asked Homesoft for help, so that you can press any key, the firebutton or just wait after the title screen is displayed to continue loading the game... (irgendwer`s title picture did not allow to continue loading and so I needed a programmer`s help)...

Thus, my version does not have Jose`s loading screen, philsan`s title screen nor poison`s title music. But I still like it... ;-)

Last not least, I visited the same C64 webpages for manuals and solutions of Fairlight, Total Eclipse and Bobby Bearing. Sometimes even Wikipedia was of great help for the C64 titles regarding manuals, clues, etc.

Well,

a 90k ATR image also works fine on a 1050... (or was there another reason for an ED ATR ?)

Anyway, here you go, "my" Code3-Cruncher version created from post nr. 3 (GreatEsc.ATR) and mariuszw version with Superpacker from post nr. 8 (GeFinal.ATR)...

GreatESC.atr

"my" CC3 version

GEFINAL.atr

mariuszw SP version

Evil as I am, I added a Basic-off switch to both versions, so there is no need to hold down the Option key. Both images do also contain the manuals and solutions. And errrm, the final version from post nr. 8 uses page 1, so it will most likely not work with HIAS highspeed-OS patch and pokey divisor 0 (try to use my CC3 version instead)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...