IGNORED

I was thinking of making an 'Accelerator' board ?

Xenophon

Hi.

I was toying with the idea of design/building an Accelerator board to fit inside the CV . something quite simple but powerful enough to be useful. It would plug directly into the existing Z80 footprint.

Plugs into Z80 socket on CV board.

has Z84C0008PEC 8MHz (switchable between 3.58 and 716MHz)

24K SRAM 3 pieces 6264 SRAMs

8K EPROM ( uses original CV ROM)

Memory decoding done using 74HC138

GAL used to switch between Standard 3.58MHz and Turbo 7.16MHz mode when hFF I/O is written to ?

The PCB would be quite small and inexpensive...

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome !

Another thing to consider is ADAM compatibility. There are a large number of people who use either the Stand-Alone ADAM or the Expansion Module #3 ADAM (plugs into a CV's front Expansion Interface) and they both provide an Expansion Interface identical to the CV's for attaching further hardware items. If this project was something you were only going to proceed with for CV compatibility, there will be no possible issues, but if you wanted it to be compatible with the ADAM as well, then you will have to be conscience of any port address conflicts that may exist with optional ADAM hardware interface cards or units.

I have attached a list for you, but I would recommend contacting ADAMCON on here via PM or visiting his website ( http://ann.hollowdreams.com ) to contact him to see if this list has been updated.

ADAM Computer Detailed I-O Address Map - v3.0.txt

• 1 month later...

I suppose the easiest design would be

A Z80 CPU (Z84C00xx) CMOS Z80

74LS138 or 74HC138 Memory decoder

6264 (8K SRAM) x 3

AY3812 Sound Chip (I/O decoded using a GAL)

al this would plug into the Z80 socket, though the original Z80 CPU would need to be replaced first. The beauty of this design is that it fits inside the CV's Case and doesn't need to be connected via the expansion socket. Though some soldering work would need to be done.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome !

Honestly, except the beauty of the thing, i don't see too much interest in this for a developer on Colecovision

If you put a faster processor , a new sound chip , more ram , and even why not a better VDP ... it is no more a Colecovision.

Why everybody is trying to transform a Colecovision in something it is not. :)

• Like 3

..or any other system for that matter. Make no mistake I like cool mods and enhancements and all that. But I believe they should be done through the system's existing expansion bus and other connectors.

Additionally, with mods like so, a lot of people would have to have them in order to make it worthwhile for developers.

What software would make use of this? And of what benefit would it be to me?

Edited by Keatah

..or any other system for that matter. Make no mistake I like cool mods and enhancements and all that. But I believe they should be done through the system's existing expansion bus and other connectors.

I completely agree with both of these statements. Although, I'm not sure where the F18A falls into that category, but for me, I feel like I still want my games to *LOOK* like ColecoVision games, but as though the original system had made natural progressions in technology. So for example, the SGM with more memory and better sound allows me to have games that still look like original CV games, but can be bigger games because of more memory, and they do sound a bit better. And the F18A allows me to have a much higher quality display output since if the CV was made today, it would have RGB or HDMI. I feel like the removal of the sprite flicker of the F18A is just an added bonus, and those games all still LOOK like something from the original CV just slightly enhanced. And also the F18A is something that works with ALL games and only enhances them enough to make the games look good on current TV displays.

I don't need CV games to look like a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis game, or even something of higher caliber for that matter. If I want a game that looks like it could be for another system, I'll play that other system.

Would it be nice to have an updated motherboard that wraps all these mods into one? Sure, I guess. But I'm just happy playing on an original ColecoVision with a few add-ons that enhance things a bit.

I completely agree with both of these statements. Although, I'm not sure where the F18A falls into that category, but for me, I feel like I still want my games to *LOOK* like ColecoVision games, but as though the original system had made natural progressions in technology. So for example, the SGM with more memory and better sound allows me to have games that still look like original CV games, but can be bigger games because of more memory, and they do sound a bit better. And the F18A allows me to have a much higher quality display output since if the CV was made today, it would have RGB or HDMI. I feel like the removal of the sprite flicker of the F18A is just an added bonus, and those games all still LOOK like something from the original CV just slightly enhanced. And also the F18A is something that works with ALL games and only enhances them enough to make the games look good on current TV displays.

I don't need CV games to look like a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis game, or even something of higher caliber for that matter. If I want a game that looks like it could be for another system, I'll play that other system.

Would it be nice to have an updated motherboard that wraps all these mods into one? Sure, I guess. But I'm just happy playing on an original ColecoVision with a few add-ons that enhance things a bit.

I agree for all modification that can allow to use a colecovision on modern TV , or use other power supply. The F18A falls into that category . (but the F18A can do lot of more and could allow to create game for "colecovision" that are better than a Amiga Game or Genesis game..(if you use more Ram and megacart of course).

Concerning the SGM ,i would agree but unfortunaly until now the only games i could see makes look like the colecovision as an MSX... not colecovision.

Extension like the Speech Synthetiser are very wonderfull , and really add value for Developper without de-naturing the colecovision.

If you really want a better colecovision, use a Sega Master System. It is for me the Colecovision 2 by excellence in term of hardware.

Concerning the SGM ,i would agree but unfortunaly until now the only games i could see makes look like the colecovision as an MSX... not colecovision.

I'm 100% fine with that since all of the MSX ports, to me, look and feel like something that would have been a ColecoVision game anyway, and all of them are new to me. So the idea of playing games like Zanac, Mappy, Rally-X, Galaga, Twin Bee, etc, on my ColecoVision hardware is AWESOME!!! Besides weren't there a few MSX > ColecoVision or ColcoVision > MSX ports that happened back in the day, anyway?

Makes me think that if there wasn't a video games crash, or if information was more available like it is today, you might have seen some of those games ported anyway.

I don't look at "more games" being released for the ColecoVision as an "unfortunate" thing in any way at all.

Similar processors. That makes the NEO-GEO the ColecoVision 3. or something.

Not just similar processors. Similar VDP (enhanced on Master System) , Similar Sound chip , Similar Joystick connectors ... the Master System is just an evolution of the Sega SG 1000. The sega SG 1000 and the colecovision are almost "clone" of each other.

Colecovision 3 would be more something with the hardware of a MSX Turbo R , i would say.

Edited by youki
  • Like 1

actually, the sega master system runs sg-1000 games as is without conversion. The catch is only if you have a multicart or rom cart. Would be nice if the colecovision games ran too but it must be the os7 bios is incompatible even though the hardware is.

Not just similar processors. Similar VDP (enhanced on Master System) , Similar Sound chip , Similar Joystick connectors ... the Master System is just an evolution of the Sega SG 1000. The sega SG 1000 and the colecovision are almost "clone" of each other.

Colecovision 3 would be more something with the hardware of a MSX Turbo R , i would say.

How much more work would it take to turn your proposed "accelerator board" into an MSX console that is designed to play MSX cartridge games? No tape drive or disk drive, just a cartridge port, two joystick ports, standard TV output and power/reset switches. The strict minimum to run games from MSX carts only, although a couple of USB ports to plug a keyboard and load software from a USB key would be nice.

Such an MSX game console has already been done in Korea (http://kotaku.com/diehard-fans-in-korea-made-their-own-msx-console-its-p-498066549) and I think such a console would resonate more with North-American players than an accelerated ColecoVision with no actual software to take advantage of the speedier hardware. Just make sure it can run all the MSX MegaROM games and you'll have a console collectors can sink their teeth into. :)

EDIT: Here's a better article about existing MSX game consoles:

http://www.passionmsx.org/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=48&lang=english

• Like 2

kind of 1chip msx that would be good for us since we didnt have access to the msx in canada

Yep, and if some original MSX cartridges (mostly from Japan/Asia) are too expensive to acquire, someone could probably design an MSX multicart to load and play ROMs (similar to the AtariMax SD cart on ColecoVision) unless loading ROMs could be a feature integrated into the MSX console via a USB port (with a USB flash drive). In any case, there would be tons of playable games on this MSX console available from day one. :)

Yep, and if some original MSX cartridges (mostly from Japan/Asia) are too expensive to acquire, someone could probably design an MSX multicart to load and play ROMs (similar to the AtariMax SD cart on ColecoVision) unless loading ROMs could be a feature integrated into the MSX console via a USB port (with a USB flash drive). In any case, there would be tons of playable games on this MSX console available from day one. :)

On msx console has been produced in 2013 , The Zemmix Neo . I think it is even compatible MSX 2+ !

http://gamopat.com/article-zemmix-neo-la-console-msx-de-2013-120688169.html (article in french)

And it exists already few MSX multicarts that also accept SD card . MSX scene is extremely active.

Edited by youki