IGNORED

Could Road Rash (3DO) be ported to the Jaguar?

Rick Dangerous

Alright, Saturday morning! Really curious how far can I get in a weekend with something like RR, but I guess we'll see tomorrow. There's always another weekend :grin:

T-0:

- Fired up the skunk and C dev env (Notepad++)

ToDo:

- Milestone 1: Create small section of the city (3D buildings), apply Frustum culling, 3D transformations, Clipping, all the while moving through world (just internally, no rendering yet)

- Milestone 2: Texture the polygons above. Import textures from artist (PlaysWithWolves). Must handle partial clipping (e.g, building polygons at the edge of the screen) - this would be a brand new feature in my engine.

I'm aiming for Milestone 2 by the end of today.

Good luck!. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

T+6 hrs:

Proof-Of-Concept (PoC) Milestone 1: Done

- Procedurally created small section of the city (3D buildings)

- Applied Frustum culling, 3D transformations, Clipping, all the while moving through world (just internally, no final rendering yet)

- Moving through the world is currently via script (strafes left/right, goes forward). Input will be wired once the PoC handles all visuals (e.g. skybox, road)

- For debugging / testing purposes I rendered the wireframe of the scene and so far everything works alright (both on real jag and VJ)

I don't see a point of grabbing a screenshot from a wireframe scene, since in few hrs I should have some texturing done. Then I will upload some screenshot.

ToDo:

Milestone 2:

- Process and Import textures from artist (PlaysWithWolves).

- Texture the polygons of buildings.

- Must handle partial polygon clipping (e.g, building polygons at the edge of the screen) - this would be a brand new feature in my engine.

Milestone 3: Handle static props (trees, hydrant, sign), each with its unique world location

• Like 2

Attached are the first three screenshots of the RR PoC. Grabbed from VJ (EDIT : Weird - the Fraps does not capture the VJ's toolbar and window frame anymore - I must have a different version than on my previous computer (or something else)).

Left side has buildings of varying height (though with missing side wall for the taller ones - for now - I shall add that later), Right side has the same height for all of them.

The partial polygon clipping almost works, currently tweaking it, but looks like I should be able to close out the 2nd milestone too.

Tested both in VJ and real jag.

post-19882-0-47468100-1448761993_thumb.gif post-19882-0-15766700-1448762463_thumb.gif post-19882-0-46721600-1448762473_thumb.gif

Edited by VladR
  • Like 2

Woah, looks nearly complete. Can I have a cart?

It's 99% complete. Sorry, but I will not be releasing a video, a binary or a cart. But, trust me, it's 99% complete and uses unharnessed POWAH. Go back to your fantasy world where you actually release games and dev tools.

Edit: Also it's 60fps, obviously.

• Like 6

It's 99% complete. Sorry, but I will not be releasing a video, a binary or a cart. But, trust me, it's 99% complete and uses unharnessed POWAH. Go back to your fantasy world where you actually release games and dev tools.

Edit: Also it's 60fps, obviously.

No, I believe you. Probably only a weekend away from being finished!

• Like 4

T+10 hrs:

Proof-Of-Concept (PoC) Milestone 2: Done

- Must handle partial polygon clipping (e.g, building polygons at the edge of the screen) - this would be a brand new feature in my engine.

ToDo for tomorrow:

- Side Walls

- Import Bike/Skybox bitmap

- Curved buildings (to allow for road curves)

- Handle static props (trees, hydrant, sign), each with its unique world location

- if time permits start working on textured road (likely to slip to next weekend)

• Like 1

T+10 hrs:

ToDo for tomorrow:

- Side Walls

- Handle static props (trees, hydrant, sign), each with its unique world location

- if time permits start working on textured road (likely to slip to next weekend)

But tomorrow is Monday. You said this weekend.

It's still Saturday on the East Coast.

Why not cut him a little slack? You complain relentlessly that he doesn't show anything and then he starts working on a project you still complain?

He's trolling you. Why not ask the a8 guys how he trolled them for a few weeks about Star Raiders. Don't you know that Vladr knows *everything* ? Plus he hasn't shown anything that couldn't be done in Paint Shop Pro. And even if you believe it works, an ST could draw that at 25fps....

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 3

T+10 hrs:

ToDo for tomorrow:

- Side Walls

Looking forward to see were this "proof of concept" goes.

Edited by sd32

CyranoJ: But tomorrow is Monday. You said this weekend.

It's still Saturday on the East Coast.

Why not cut him a little slack? You complain relentlessly that he doesn't show anything and then he starts working on a project you still complain?

You are trying to have a rational discussion with an individuum, that is trolling here like a little kid and showing great deficiency in reading comprehension. Consider the following:

- I never said I would code a full game in a weekend, I said I'm curious to see how far I can get (and in worst case there is another weekend)

- I explicitly listed the milestones (but I understand they the concepts of 3D pipeline are hard to understand for someone who is only pushing 2D bitmaps around)

- He's confusing terms "Proof Of Concept" with "Full Game". Need I say more :) ?

- He somehow managed to confuse Sunday with Monday. It's 10.40 am Sunday here, but looks like this concept is also beyond his mental "skills". Perhaps he's in mental institution, so the concept of weekend does not apply to him ? Who knows, and who cares - though I am actually starting to feel sorry for his close family ...

Anyway, Back to work !

• Like 2

He's trolling you.

The same place all his other projects go.

While you guys are at it can't you toss together Quake too?

You guys aren't much fun; I really wanted to see where this would go this weekend. I provided the rope. Would he use it in clever new ways ... or hang himself? Oh well, the moment passed. :(

I will say Vlad's polygons are twice the width as expected, though that'd mean moar polys needed. I'd also hope the solid walls would be used more for the sides than fronts. I also added a disclaimer:

post-39941-0-59189500-1448815885_thumb.jpg

• Like 6