IGNORED

Could Road Rash (3DO) be ported to the Jaguar?

Rick Dangerous

OK, let's go back to how this started:

1. Dreamer's Club dared to dream about RR remake

2. I offered my technical input based on my current experience with jag

3. Hater's Club blew a shitstorm accusing me of everything they could come up with

4. I wasn't scared, did not rage quit, instead - imagine that - started working on the proof of concept

5. Hater's club still keeps on blowing the shitstorm

I am not surprised - business as usual here :)

It wasn't even my idea to start working on it, just everybody bitching about "shut up or put up", because I dared to express my thoughts on what is realistic on jag.

Was it really that bad of an idea to actually start working on RR proof of concept ?

The vitriol in this thread isn't so much about what you posted. For a weekend proof of concept, it's actually pretty damn cool. The issue stems from more than a year or so of past efforts just like this. You have offered to do at least 3 projects that I am aware of (VR BASIC, Klax clone, and HERO). Nothing came from BASIC even though you said it would be a weekend project. Klax, you had absolutely zero understanding of the gameplay. You again promised much and delivered nothing, only an emulator showing 60fps for some flat non flipping tiles. Then you promise the world with HERO, and offer a low res low framerate demo.

The best way to get shit on, especially in the Jag area is to come in acting high and mighty and proclaiming to be an expert, promising the world and not delivering, repeating this several times, all the while shitting on people who have delivered COMPLETED projects.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 11

Ah, here it comes, the full on AA/Reboot bashing.

Let's face it, the ONLY reason he's here is because he can't get a large enough audience anywhere else. His ego needs stroking.

The problem is, ever since he arrived, he's slagged off everyone before him. While he's been away, he has constantly slagged off AA/Albert/Reboot on whatever backwater forum he has infested. And now he's back, everyone is just supposed to forget all that and embrace the glorious future that VladR Software will bring.

The fact that even in this thread he's belittling other devs whose only 'crime' is to release a game using rB+ (Because, hey, Reboot did that) is proof alone of his arrogant attitude to others, while at the same time bigging up his basic - which actually can't do 0.001% of what rB+ can (And, LOL, requires Reboot tools in the chain to actually do this things it can) shows his complete disdain for others.

I don't care if he delivers the world at this point, as has been previously posted by another - he'll still be a complete prick.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

I think these videos might help us with the "healing process". People finally got something, beyond the words. Maybe the constant chase of Jag fume heretics and also a Jagchrist popping up here and there has given the forum a harsh language. It's exiting sometimes and loss-loss sometimes. I'm used to people bragging. No problem to me. Die-hard realists can often be more of a pain than harmless "dreamers" or dog dancing Jagchrists, but that's just me. Bad mix with one guy picking a fight with guys easy to pick a fight with (= high level drama).

I myself think that both 2D arcade games and early 3D games are the best, so people struggling to get them made or trying to is really the coolest thing on an old obscure platform like this one. Running a project that ends up on a physical media is one hell of an achievement. The early 5% programming goes by pretty fast, the tough one is the last 95% (with the last 5% being the most hurtful). I want lots of 2D arcades, that might be less time consuming to "pull off" than bombastic 3D projects might demand (with low chances ending up on CD or cart).

This 3D stuff is looking good to my untrained eye. Hope you keep it up to the bitter end (if it works) getting the rest 95% made; I would really like a ghetto-looking new super burnout, or for a while hope to get it! If you don't, you gave us this video, that shows us you skills beyond the words.

What ever people pull off or try to pull off - based on different ambitions - I give my respect to, but I need hard proof of stuff in the making. Less smoke and mirrors that way. Nice video. Don't give up digging for the 3D POWAH. (no matter if real or myth).

• Like 2

The vitriol in this thread isn't so much about what you posted. For a weekend proof of concept, it's actually pretty damn cool. The issue stems from more than a year or so of past efforts just like this. You have offered to do at least 3 projects that I am aware of (VR BASIC, Klax clone, and HERO). Nothing came from BASIC even though you said it would be a weekend project. Klax, you had absolutely zero understanding of the gameplay. You again promised much and delivered nothing, only an emulator showing 60fps for some flat non flipping tiles. Then you promise the world with HERO, and offer a low res low framerate demo.

The best way to get shit on, especially in the Jag area is to come in acting high and mighty and proclaiming to be an expert, promising the world and not delivering, repeating this several times, all the while shitting on people who have delivered COMPLETED projects.

Just my $0.02.

Your 2 cents are worth 0, because you got your facts completely wrong and only repeat whatever nonsense CJ spits out:

1. HERO - I have been stating that multiple times over the course of last 2 years, over multiple threads, but obviously will need to keep repeating, till slow ones finally get it:

"H.E.R.O. is my 3D engine sandbox where I keep experimenting with various 3D algorithms and techniques. It's not about the game and probably never will be. At some point, once I fully max out the visuals, I may spend some time on actual levels and gameplay. Whoever is waiting for a finished game must have huge issues with reading comprehension. I understand it does not help that CJ keeps spreading those lies.

2. Klax - again - despite you being in the thread - you got your facts totally wrong ! There was a 60 fps video recorded on actual jaguar, submitted to the thread. Upon that moment, CJ and his 2D minions stopped arguing, because I was RIGHT FROM THE START that I can do that 3D gfx smoothly AND IN C (no asm, no gpu, no dsp).

But yes, I imagine it 'feels good' for you to be on the bashing side, despite your arguments being completely wrong.

It's just so disgusting and low, but hey - to each his own !

• Like 1

I don't care if he delivers the world at this point, as has been previously posted by another - he'll still be a complete prick.

So now, that we agreed to stop insulting each other, you start using namecalling and insults again ? Really ?

• Like 1

Ho boy.

This thread, and my dreams of a Road Rash tribute on the Jaguar, are swiftly going down in flames...

May as well lock'er up and toss the key before this gets any uglier.

--- :skull: ---

Why ? I intend to keep working on the Proof Of Concept.

• Like 1

Can we get the moderator to ask reboot camp to stay out of this thread please ?

I'd like to focus on actual coding of RR Proof Of Concenpt, instead of endless accusations from them.

It does look like they do it on purpose, so they can add the RR to their list of nonsensical accusations.

There are clearly two groups here:

1. Wants to see how far this work on RR gets

2. DOES not want to see it get anywhere.

Since the goals are contradicting, and the second group is NOT adding ANYTHING valuable to the table, can you please stay out of this thread !

Thanks !

So now, that we agreed to stop insulting each other, you start using namecalling and insults again ? Really ?

2. I'm playing nice, I believe. No insults, or anything.

3. VRBasic is on hold. I'm actually glad you did release rBasic first. I certainly would no like the game that are coming out of rBasic to bear the name of VRBasic, so this actually worked for me very good that you released it into the wild first. Eventually, I will get back to it. But there is no real push for now.

G.F.Y.

sd32,PlaysWithWolves,Isgoed,JagChris : In your honest opinion, what is the very next feature to work on ? I'm thinking the handling of double buffering/flashing/clearing. What do you think ? I got some time tonight.

Actually, that was my thought too. Anything you can do to make it flicker less and not have so much ghosting/tearing/whatever.

If you guys can't act like adults, this thread will expire really soon. And stop it with the insults.

I am not insulting him, but he keeps throwing them at me constantly. Can I ask you to talk to him, please ? We're just trying to talk about the RR development here, that is all.

Thank you !

I am not insulting him, but he keeps throwing them at me constantly. Can I ask you to talk to him, please ? We're just trying to talk about the RR development here, that is all.

Thank you !

Don't play all innocent, dude. The only difference is I'll come right out and say what I think instead of your veiled backstabbing comments.

• Like 1

Don't play all innocent, dude. The only difference is I'll come right out and say what I think instead of your veiled backstabbing comments.

Thank you for yet-another-insult. Please stay out of this thread if the idea of RR on jag seems absurd to you.

You made your point. Now don't let the doors hit you !

Vladr vladr vladr vladr? Vladr vladr vladr vladr vladr, vladr vladr vladr vladr vladr vladr.

Vladr vladr vladr vladr; vladr vladr vladr vladr vladr vladr vladr, vladr, vladr, vladr vladr vladr.

Vladr, vladr vladr? Vladr!

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought so too. I'll get to it right away !

Can we get the moderator to ask reboot camp to stay out of this thread please ?

I'd like to focus on actual coding of RR Proof Of Concenpt, instead of endless accusations from them.

It does look like they do it on purpose, so they can add the RR to their list of nonsensical accusations.

There are clearly two groups here:

1. Wants to see how far this work on RR gets

2. DOES not want to see it get anywhere.

Since the goals are contradicting, and the second group is NOT adding ANYTHING valuable to the table, can you please stay out of this thread !

Thanks !

I will play along nicely, as I am actually looking forward to more work in progress here.

I got my Jag in 94, and my PSX in 96. The one thing I noticed, is that many Jag games, while having really low FPS in 3D, actually had better perspective correction on the textures. I noticed this in your video. The textures seemed good. But, when the buildings were getting ready to leave the visible screen area, they did a weird bend and seemed to drop off, rather than smoothly go off screen. Is this just an artifact of not having the double buffering / screen clearing in place?