IGNORED

She's ugly but she's mine - Atari XE

ryanmercer

What happened to the bottom of the keyboard??

Mystery goo. Hopefully a weekend coming up has semi-warm temps and I'll take it outside with some paper towels and alcohol and get the mystery chemical off of it. I don't know when I'll attempt to power it up though, I'm absolutely taking it apart before I plug it in.

• Like 1

that looks like someone took a sh*t on it...and it appears to have blood in it - see if you can contact the owner...as they could be seriously unwell :woozy:

btw - the Computer that takes the [ahem] Mustard in the yellow category is actually an ST:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-ST-computer-1040-STE-4mb-memory-upgrade-TOS-1-62-C398739-001-DMA-TESTED-OK-/161871592301?hash=item25b04c7b6d:g:LgQAAOSw-vlVkYfo

Never mind cleaning it Ryan, get CSI: Florida on it, looks like its been part of a crime scene and then flushed down a sewer. I'm with Orpheous on this, looks like it was owned by someone who had a disagreement with the Goodfella's.

You might find fingers inside it...

• Like 1

How the heck did the keyboard stay so nice and white?

It's the plastic formulation. Some plastics will rapidly turn brown with UV exposure due to the inclusion of too much flame-retardant additive. Read up on RetroBrite, and you'll get the whole story and how to fix it.

I'd be surprised if that's the original keyboard (or badge) sitting un-treated in that ST, although it's not impossible. It looks brand new or fresh out of a tub of Peroxide.

As for the ST's case: it is beyond Peroxide, IMO. You might get it back to grey for a month or so, but there's so much Bromine in that compound that it'll eventually go brown again. I don't usually advocate painting cases, but a few coats of Medium Sea Grey on that ST would work wonders.

When I read the title for this post, I thought that it was going to be one of those that says that the XE is ugly and the XL's are beautiful. Beauty though is in the eye of the beholder and my preference is the XE range for looks.

Then I saw the picture and I can see what you mean... that is one ugly beast! However, it is an XE, so give it some love and it'll be alright in the end.

• Like 1

I'd wear latex gloves before/while touching her, you never know where she's been :-D

I've half toyed with the idea of taking it outside, using some throw away bits to take it apart and filling up the hudson sprayer with rubbing alcohol and dowsing the case, then taking a pressure washer tip to it just to make sure I get ick off it haha.

• Like 1

Hi Ryan,

If that doesn't cleanup for you, I have the plastic enclosure and a keyboard that looks pretty close to new that I would be willing to part with for $10 to cover shipping. Just PM me if you are interested.

- Michael

Any one know what that "mystery goo" actually is? I have picked up a few pieces of old electronics that seem to have the same thing. It seemed to soften the plastic. I thought i could scrape it off and I ended up easily gouging out chunks of plastic. It almost seems like the plastic sweat it out over time. I thought perhaps someone set it on a radiator or something?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk