IGNORED

She's ugly but she's mine - Atari XE

ryanmercer

Take it apart and clean it outside with a scrub brush and some general cleaner like Simple Green. Take the keys off or dismantle the keyboard back and the whole keyboard with keys should come off in one piece. Use a wide brush and brush on some Sally's Creme conditioner perixide diluted with some water and leave out in the sun for 6 hours or so reapplying the creamer with brush every 15 min it so. Should clean up nicely! Post up after pics!!

• Like 1

Not sure what the goo is but make 100% sure you use latex gloves on that, any stuff that is hard to scrape off is going to be pretty toxic ie no scratching your nose while doing it.

The electrolytic caps are your most likely cause of the goo but its very hard to tell.

If you get this one back to good condition you can be very proud of yourself..

that looks like someone took a sh*t on it...and it appears to have blood in it - see if you can contact the owner...as they could be seriously unwell :woozy:

btw - the Computer that takes the [ahem] Mustard in the yellow category is actually an ST:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-ST-computer-1040-STE-4mb-memory-upgrade-TOS-1-62-C398739-001-DMA-TESTED-OK-/161871592301?hash=item25b04c7b6d:g:LgQAAOSw-vlVkYfo

At least they cleaned the keys.

With all that mystery material on the outside, I wouldn't be surprised if "moisture" (most polite way I can think of phrasing it) hasn't gotten into the already fragile keyboard mylar and destroyed it. Good news if that's the case is the replacement mylar at Best (or anyone else who sells it) is an easy replacement.

well - having claimed the first spot for the "mellow yellow-est"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-ST-computer-1040-STE-4mb-memory-upgrade-TOS-1-62-C398739-001-DMA-TESTED-OK-/161871592301?hash=item25b04c7b6d:g:LgQAAOSw-vlVkYfo

post-39567-0-84323100-1446763001_thumb.jpg

- i think i've now found one that's been defecated on more than the example shown by the OP

step forward this little turd-encrusted beauty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-1040ST-Computer-1040-st-for-parts-spares-1040st-fm-/171988004685?hash=item280b48af4d:g:JyMAAOSwwbdWK23y

post-39567-0-20172000-1446763003_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Phfffftt! I have seen worse. I bought an 800XL once that looked like it was buried in a compost heap for years. On top of one of the biggest cleaning jobs I have had on an Atari, it also took new RAM but I got it going.

I also repaired a PC that a mouse had been living and leaving deposits in.

So your neat little XE doesn't look so bad. Hope she starts right up for you.