IGNORED

SGM Clone 100% working..

juice2839

How about stuff like this? Although may have limited usage.

Intellivision Roller Controller

Intellivision Paddle Controller

Intellivision Memory Expander

I can program, but it would help to have some coders in on stuff like this before hardware is made for nothing.

Edited by juice2839

Eduardo I know you've had issues with things like this in the past (was it the mega cart?) but you can't blame an entire community for the actions of a few people. Now if juice2839 winds up replicating the functions of the SGM into another product and offers it for sale, that's a whole different issue.

And to Juice2839, for someone who has only been around for about a year you certainly seem to be pissing a lot of people off lately.

Just my two cents.

I don't piss people off.. They piss themselves off.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a pcb for and fit it into a Famicom case and it does look rather nice.

Pretty slick! A nice label to place on the case and you are going to make a lot of people happy and some not so happy... but I think that ship has sailed already.

The only thing that would concern me is the weight of it when plugged into the Expansion Interface seeing as there is no leg support like the Opcode SGM. That case was inspired/copied from the Coleco ADAM AutoDialer Interface.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Pretty slick! A nice label to place on the case and you are going to make a lot of people happy and some not so happy... but I think that ship has sailed already.

The only thing that would concern me is the weight of it when plugged into the Expansion Interface seeing as there is no leg support like the Opcode SGM. That case was inspired/copied from the Coleco ADAM AutoDialer Interface.

This is taken directly from ebay's website concerning listing a device that is compatible or a clone of something.

"You can use "compatible with," "fits," or "for" before a brand name in the title of your listing if the item is specifically designed to be compatible with products of that brand. Don’t use "compatible with," "fits," or "for" before a brand name in the title of your listing to describe items that are universally compatible or that are compatible with an entire product class."

So this is compatible with the Colecovision Super Game Module and fits the Colecovision is perfectly legal..

It's pretty light, but I suppose if it was left plugged in for a year at a time it might cause the connector to become stretched. If a person was really concerned they could make a kickstand for it... LOL

• Like 1

It's all "off-the-shelf" parts and it just takes someone with the necessary skills and desire to put it all together, so I don't see any harm. Heck, the whole idea of adding memory to the CV was Coleco's to start with and although their SGM failed due to the Entrepo Tape Drive they were trying to use, they ended up implementing the memory expansion for the CV with the ADAM Computer.

• Like 2

I'm just discovering this topic and again I see opcode lacking respect about the forum users...

I agree with juice2829. It is a basic exercice to restart with the coleco. Best, that allow to play your games waiting years the SGM!

opcode does't have to share anything with peoples to redo it... Just read the Adam datasheets to know own to interface it.

The SGM is only sound chip, RAM chip and a bunch of trivial logic. Any electronician can build one from zero for a $10 bill.

By the way, understand that "opcode & friends" work around the packaging is far more impressive and a clone will not replace that.

Here is the real added value for nostalgic gamers and collectors.

Edited by TotOOntHeMooN
  • Like 2

the real sgm price tag is not so heavy for what it is with the shiny tag case and packaging box the real issue its the custumer service and getting the box.... having the not branded option for half the price and ready to ship ill take it right now and i think a lot of people will take it since even if they have a sgm they will let it in their shiny box and play the clone.... when you know that it fit un a 2$ famicom cart shell and probably someone will offer a 3d printing service for a case.... sell the pcb now and people will find a way to make it shine...

• Like 3

It's all "off-the-shelf" parts and it just takes someone with the necessary skills and desire to put it all together, so I don't see any harm. Heck, the whole idea of adding memory to the CV was Coleco's to start with and although their SGM failed due to the Entrepo Tape Drive they were trying to use, they ended up implementing the memory expansion for the CV with the ADAM Computer.

Relevant quote from Bill Gates to Steve Jobs:

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox COLECO and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had stolen it first!"

This is one of my favorite quotes amidst the historical Mac-Windows war. I am however a "Mac-person" if you will, and I love homogenous branding from great companies whom I enjoy supporting. At the same time, I believe in fair competition and I hate the current copyright holder trends of the last 20 years or so (where IP holders leverage all of their might to squash ideas and attempt to "own" all rights to particular ideas or inspiration).
No offense to anyone here at AA, but I'm happy to see that people aren't living in fear of retaliation and the kid who nabs his or her ball to go home when things don't work out just right.
  • Like 4