IGNORED

Looking for the dimensions for an upright battlezone

Atari the Jedi

Recently I got a call from a guy I know at a metal scrap yard. The person in charge now I have been looking for anything video game related and he called me stating they had a battle zone video game by the time I got there they had taken it apart and saved all the internals for me but the cabinet was destroyed. He said the cabinet came to them and it was unsalvageable. Have a carpenter friend who told me he would not mind building me a new cabinet but he will need the dimensions for of the wooden parts and to know where holes in hinges and grooves would be. Does anyone out there have the dimensions for the cabinet? I needed for the tall upright cabinet that has the shroud on it. I have the shroud. Thank you,

Okay, here are the external measurements for a Battlezone upright cabinet. There are a few pieces inside around the mirror and monitor area, along with the floor that would be difficult to measure without taking the machine apart. Attached is a JPG and a RTF format document. Enjoy, and good luck getting one built.

post-15209-0-58285400-1446927919_thumb.jpg

BattlezoneCabinet.rtf

Before sinking money into the woodwork, have you hooked everything together to make sure it still works?

Good point...it's a rather complex pile of parts. Testing all those pieces without a cabinet holding them together would be a task in itself. :)

Well thank you very much for these measurements! I'm going to take these to my carpenter on Monday and see if we can get started on the project I of course will post pictures here real wood for this cabinet. Of course wold like to check in with you and anyone else as I continue the project.

You're welcome. I hope you get one put together. With the cabinet I have here, Atari used a mix of real wood and MDF fiber board. You and your carpenter can decide which you prefer. I know for a fact that the floor and two bottom panels (B3 & C2) are ply wood originally. Side panels are MDF routed on the edges with 1 inch t-molding as with many arcade machines. Using real wood for the entire machine will reduce it's weight greatly, a plus, I would think.

I added the back edge height data in this version of the rtf document, attached.

BattlezoneCabinet.rtf

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the inside of my Battlezone cabinet, looking in through the back panel.

post-15209-0-73567400-1447779898_thumb.jpg

Area directly under the control panel. Oval speaker is removed. Coin door and collection bin are visible.

post-15209-0-47143300-1447780027_thumb.jpg

Back side of periscope and area with wood and MDF support strips.

post-15209-0-18822400-1447780166_thumb.jpg post-15209-0-46334900-1447781886_thumb.jpg

Looking down at regulator/audio PCB. The MDF piece is mounted vertically 11 inches back from the coin door.

The power supply was originally bolted to the wooden floor.

post-15209-0-14217300-1447781939_thumb.jpg

Game board mounting slides attached to inside panel.

post-15209-0-30050800-1447782104_thumb.jpg

Marquee light box with T shaped bottom panel, located above periscope windows.

post-15209-0-91571600-1447782211_thumb.jpg

Monitor mounts are attached horizontally to both side panels. Wood monitor frame slides in and out.

post-15209-0-59414400-1447782420_thumb.jpg

Opposite monitor mount with angle bracket visible. Atari used a standard 3 hold bracket for extra support.

post-15209-0-07064400-1447782544_thumb.jpg

Looking down into coin collection area. A canvas bag on a square frame probably fit into this spot.

The two small boards between coin bank panel and regulator panel are at a slight downward angle from the door.

• Like 1

Wow! thank you very much . I really appreciate the work in time you taken to get the dimensions and pictures. I'm going to get these to my carpenter and we're going to start working on we creating a new battlezone cabinet as soon as possible. I'm going to try to post some pictures of the process that we go through as well.

No prob. I have plans to repair my cabinet some time in the future so having these dimensions recorded will come in handy here as well. Building the whole machine sounds like a fun challenge. Other than the side art, you already have the parts that make the machine distinctive. Mine is missing the front step and I'm not sure I want one. It only adds to the difficulty of moving the machine around. You should be able to build one pretty easily looking at the images in the owner's manual.

I really must get one of those someday... :lust:

I found mine years ago at a thrift store. I gave up trying to repair it when I discovered that both the game board and vector monitor are blown. I want to configure it as a mame cabinet at some point and include other periscope games that may compliment the design. Sub-Roc by Sega comes to mind. The problem is, I can only think of Battlezone and Sub-Roc ! :?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I've started building a 3d model from the dimensions that have been posted in this post and was wondering if I could gets some additional measurements.

I need the width checked for A1 and the measurements for the Bs and Cs. The measurements are marked in red.

I also need to know the size and position of the cutout show on panel B1 in the original diagram.

I've attached a screen shot of what I have so far in the 3D model.

Thanks

post-67958-0-69871000-1553313640_thumb.png

post-67958-0-20144100-1553313672_thumb.png

post-67958-0-30243600-1553313706.png

• 4 weeks later...

post-15209-0-43752600-1555807650_thumb.png

Ok, here's the additional requested measurements for Battlezone.

As pictured:

B1 = 74.5 inches

B2 = 74 1/4 inches

B3 = 74 inches even

A1 at the control panel measured closer to 21 5/16 inches but probably started out 21 1/4.

It's hard to say because MDF can swell due to moisture and humidity. Such a tiny difference probably doesn't matter, but you can decide which to use.

Lastly, the rear vent measured as follows:

Top edge of vent opening starts at 2 1/4 inches down from top edge of the panel.

It is 14 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall, with 5 inches of mdf on either side.

The vent is centered. The MDF side panels are 1 inch thick, adding to the total width of the cabinet.

I hope this helps in making a realistic 3d model. My machine does not have the step, so no measurements possible.