IGNORED

Which Atari 8-bit game makes you laugh the most?

Fletch

We've all had the debates about which Atari 8-bit game has the best graphics, sound, gameplay, or re-playability. But I'd like to know which Atari 8-bit makes you laugh.

The game doesn't have to good, the graphics can suck, the music awful, but somehow makes you smile every time you play it.

For me that game is Jeff Minter's Hover Bovver. http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-hover-bovver_2519.html

For the uninitiated, the game is about lawn mowing. Your lawn mower is broken and you "borrow" one from Jim, Tom or Alf. You head out and start mowing whilst your neighbor chases you about trying to retrieve his mower.

You aren't alone in your endeavor, your trusty dog is along to play defense. As the neighbor closes in, you press the button and the dog attacks allowing you keep mowing.

Fido's tolerance doesn't last forever though, and when that tolerance runs out he charges right towards you. You yell, "Damnation, I've hit the dog!" and the mower overheats. Chances are slim that you'll get it going again before the neighbor takes back his machine.

Running over flowers brings out the gardener who also chases you.

The whole thing just cracks me up every time.

Which game does that for you?

• Like 5

Hover Bovver is a good one to laugh at. In fact, any of the Jeff Minter games, they're just crazy.

I find his love of sheep and camels and anything like that amusing.

I managed to meet the man at one of the computer shows and made me laugh also. A colleague of mine came with me to the show and asked for a picture with Jeff. Jeff doesn't have straight eyes and so my colleague complained when I showed him the picture on his camera, "Oh for goodness sake, he could have looked at the camera", without realising that Jeff can't help it.

With Hover Bovver, I love how he managed to find something so mundane and make a decent game out of it. And yes, it is amusing.

• Like 4

Seeing Star Raiders reminded me of the times we would blow up our own star bases and get a good laugh at that.

Then I remembered the biggest laugh of all... Choplifter!!

We used to love how you could strafe your own guys and the little guys would go running from you. Awesome stuff!!

• Like 1

Nice thread :thumbsup:

Whomper Stomper - c'mon I bet we all do the voice! I find myself saying "lookout for ants" when we go out in the garden... or even "lookout for poison nails" :-o

MULE is pretty funny too especially when your regular opponents mule goes crazy* or they misplace it forcing you sing a chorus of "Where's your MULE gone" to this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EpWOzIzhf8

:-D

* forgot I do a bit of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy for this bit: "MULE Goes Crazy"

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

Salmon Run With i had back in the 80,s on tape. The Black bear is pretty funny. if you dive your salmon to shortly the Bear is quick to catch up with you.Theres even a a white ice bear on later levels. And also when your salmon got caught in the fishermans net. The Seagulls flying overhead has a pretty funny sound, and also when you caught by the seagulls. When you manage to complete one level, The kiss with the other fish and the kissing sound is pretty cool and funny and then the hearts that surrounds the two fishes after the kiss. Yeah some good memories with this game :)

Edited by BioFreeze
  • Like 2

And Alleycat is funny even tough i havent played it mutch. The cat have som awesome moves and funny jumps :)

Tapper also is kinda funny i think. keep feeding the customets beer and keep the glasses from falling to the ground.

Edited by BioFreeze
  • Like 6

We've all had the debates about which Atari 8-bit game has the best graphics, sound, gameplay, or re-playability. But I'd like to know which Atari 8-bit makes you laugh.

The game doesn't have to good, the graphics can suck, the music awful, but somehow makes you smile every time you play it.

For me that game is Jeff Minter's Hover Bovver. http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-hover-bovver_2519.html

For the uninitiated, the game is about lawn mowing. Your lawn mower is broken and you "borrow" one from Jim, Tom or Alf. You head out and start mowing whilst your neighbor chases you about trying to retrieve his mower.

You aren't alone in your endeavor, your trusty dog is along to play defense. As the neighbor closes in, you press the button and the dog attacks allowing you keep mowing.

Fido's tolerance doesn't last forever though, and when that tolerance runs out he charges right towards you. You yell, "Damnation, I've hit the dog!" and the mower overheats. Chances are slim that you'll get it going again before the neighbor takes back his machine.

Running over flowers brings out the gardener who also chases you.

The whole thing just cracks me up every time.

Which game does that for you?

Kids' games.

AstroGrover (comes with keyboard overlay)

Ducks Ahoy

GranMa's House

I don't know I laugh, but they are good simple fun with grandkids.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

Donkey Kong Jr. The game is about a baby gorilla in a diaper trying to rescue his father from Mario.

The whole game is funny, but I particularly like DK Jr.'s death. I think it's better than in the arcade too because it's faster (at least on NTSC), which changes the whole character of how it looks and essentially the humor of it. The death sound goes hand in hand with it too.

I also like the part where Donkey Kong Sr. kicks Mario through the air after having been freed from his chains (which aren't drawn in the Atari version for some reason -- probably not enough space in the Antic 4 character set used).

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4